1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ORLANDO, FL. Can someone could help me doing some maintenance on my 3rd Gen Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tom Mayor, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi!

I just bought a 2010 Prius with 147 100 miles from an Independant seller, it drives perfectly, but in 8 years owning it, the seller didn't anything on the EGR system... I would like to clean the EGR valve, EGR cooler, the manifold and changed the PCV bolt, but after having watched several videos I don't feel confident to do it myself. Would someone like to do it with me or for me? I live North East Orlando, FL. I would love getting help! Thank you so much...

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tampa Hybrids is a non-dealership sales-and-service place, albeit in Tampa, not sure how far that is for you. Unlike dealerships, EGR cleaning is something they do regularly, for around $500 USD IIRC. Priuschat member @jerrymildred is in their employ, and has been doing their EGR cleaning as well.

Google Maps shows the two cities about 80 miles apart.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately I don't have $500 for a 1 or 2 hours job... I am looking for someone friendly that is friendly to help me doing it for a reasonable price. I also don't need a hybrid car repair company to do that type of labor..

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It took me close to a solid day, second time around. You’re kidding yourself to think it’s trivial. If you get around to DIY, consider breaking it up:

1. do the intake one day, EGR components another.

2. do as much prep as possible: remove cooler lower nut and stud in advance (and leave off), and removal of wipers/motor and cowl.

3. organize and label small fasteners and bits as they come off. Putting labelled masking tape “flags” on hoses you pull off might be warranted, if only to avoid missing a reconnection (I missed one, the last time).

4. have coolant strategies, avoids any spillage (see first two links in my signature).

5. you can never have too many tools (see aforementioned links).

bottom line: there’s no free lunch. It’s not hard, but you need to be on your toes, and don’t rush.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Feb 18, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    Foxglove and bisco like this.
  5. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Another faster option is to just buy a new EGR Valve and Cooler and a New Intake Manifold. That would be much faster than an indepth cleaning. However it will cost more for new parts. But then you can just do it yourself and swap the parts out in a couple of hours.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My strategy with cooler is to get it out and filled with oxi-clean solution, as early as possible, while you deal with the rest.

it’s a lot like cooking; sequence and timing is very helpful.

Cooler is the ONLY component I’d consider getting a spare, for everything else cleaning is relatively trivial.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't neglect to open the valve while you have it and check for a mashed ski jump.

[​IMG]

8. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's true! But the parts will cost like $500 + while cleaning might take 1 or 2 hours,... Even if it takes more, I don't know if it worths to pay that $500 for few hours of cleaning and scrubbing.

9. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I guess the cleaning might take a while... I have seen videos of guys that cleaned the component in an hour though. I can't justify paying few hundreths for new parts if cleaning doesn't take that long. Thank you for your help!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Everything is cleanable, and that cost is near zilch, just a few cleaning supplies, and maybe some of the gaskets. Can you manage something like an oil change? If so, this is not that much of a stretch.

Leave it much longer and you'll be looking at a much bigger job, head gasket, or engine transplant. You may be there already.

11. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can do an oil change! But there is a difference between that and take off numerous parts under the hood... Especially because domes are really tricky to access. I don't feel confident to do the entire labor myself

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can do it. Not saying it's easy, but yeah. Budget a weekend, prep as much as possible.

You've got about 5 years on a 19 year old kid I dropped in on, while he was doing it in his driveway, sub-zero. His had 190K kms. He got through it fine.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The problem that sometimes develops with the rotor in the EGR valve is one that no cleaning will fix. If you inspect and find that problem, a new EGR valve is the fix. (I know of one person using a hot butter knife and trying to mold the plastic back into shape, but I'd consider that more of a last resort.)

14. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes the parts are expensive. But then you start brand new and don't have to mess with cleaning. It is either time or money... LOL it depends on what you have the most of. But If you are going to clean Mendel is right start soaking right away and prepare for it to take 2 full days. Then when you do it in a day you are rewarded. LOL. Once you start taking it apart you will get an idea of how bad it is. Several Oxi Clean soaks and maybe a pressure washer or 2 and you will get it better. Worse case you can get it as clean as possible as you time permits and just do it again later. You will become an expert. I would watch Nuts about Bolts video 3 full times through to familiarize yourself with the process. I have never done this job but feel confident to attempt it for friends now after watching and reading through a lot of EGR cleaning threads. Good luck. Maybe someone from Casselberry or Lake Mary will chime in.

15. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be OK to just toss the egr for a new one. There is some for $60 on Amazon. So far I saw the kit on eBay for $135 with shipping but not sure if they are clean. However it still could be good to clean them before taking down the others parts and just swap. That way the vehicle won't stay sitting for a day or more... I'm in Florida and it's humid! I just wish I could find someone to help me out to do the job... Like a friendly buddy.

Attached Files:

16. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    For $135 they will be dirty. BUt just elbow grease and time. That sounds like a cheaper option. BUy a used one..Or better yet go to a junkyard and pull your own. Practice on a wrecked car is perfect. Just need to have tools. Bithlo is close to you and full of old cars. search under Pull a Part.

17. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also I don't think that kit is 100% complete...

18. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That one seems to have an extra part.
    So if I go to a junkyard I'll have to take down all the parts I need which can help me to increase my experience doing it before doing on my actual vehicle. But how much would they charge me for those parts? Are they going to look on the internet and match their prices with the ones of the current ebay reseller even if I still will have to struggle lol?

Attached Files:

19. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I know a guy over on the West side who is a pretty good mechanic. He and his friend rebuilt an engine. I'll reach out to him and see if he has time. Lives over near Winter Garden.

20. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Usually pick a part places...make up there own prices. You could get someone who will say, "um. $25.00 sounds fair? It is always super cheap.