1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OS used on the 11" display?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by _echo, Apr 14, 2018.

1. _echo

_echo Junior Member

Hello All,
    Snooping around the KWI files, the small display unit appears to be running win CE.

Has anyone figured out what the 11" model uses?

2. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Entune 2.0 uses QNX, an embedded OS company owned by Blackberry. I think their navigation unit, though, may use Windows CE. I'm guessing this is the same for the small and the large display unit, but I might be wrong though.

3. bb4srv

bb4srv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    lol, explains the rebooting.

4. _echo

_echo Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up on QNX. Haven't heard that one in a long while, likewise with blackberry. Then again, I haven't touched win CE for decades.

One of the kwi files appears encrypted, sadly, it's also the one for my car. :(
    Haven't done a lot of digging into it yet. It gets a bit scary here, because DMCA and all.

I discovered that (13TDANNA-DA11_0140) was winCE because if you peek in it, after the header, there appears to be an .exe file, extraction of it, will yield a valid WinCE executable. I haven't dug deeper into this one because it's not for my car. For those that happen to have this variant, there might be some good stuff in here to peek at, and make some headway into doing odd things.

My reason for peeking is to ideally bring back can-view like functionality. I miss having the 'fully integrated' feel of it, while letting me poke at the insides. It would be useful to monitor battery current, but other goodies, like battery, MG1/MG2, inverter, and ICE temps would be nice as well.) Yes, I could get a scangauge, and likely will.

I was looking to see if there is _any_ way to get some user information onto that big screen. My inspiration came from the guys that did CHDK for cannon cameras. What they did with black box reverse engineering was amazing, and they managed to create an overlay screen and alternate UI for the camera that was truly useful.

Ultimately, It would help hypermilers answer super-important questions like whether red mode and eco mode have different motor current limits. It sure feels like it does, but it could be simple throttle mapping. Humans are easily fooled.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are you driving?

6. _echo

_echo Junior Member

I got a prime (premium), to replace a trouble free '05. Trouble free, despite all of the goofy crap I did to it too, which is even more impressive.

I do miss the hacking options and the storage space the most.

bisco likes this.