1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OS X Leopard a huge hit!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eagle33199, Oct 30, 2007.

1. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Nov 2 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]533774[/snapback]</div>
    I guess it depends on what you call "approach"... The example I had in mind was a LaCie external drive from the "extreme" series that gives me transfer rates between 30MBytes/s and 40MBytes/s.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Nov 1 2007, 08:33 PM) [snapback]533656[/snapback]</div>
    So does Apple - In Leopard, if you connect to a network with windows shares, those computers are represented by a little icon of an old CRT monitor displaying a BSOD :)

3. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Nov 1 2007, 04:45 PM) [snapback]533574[/snapback]</div>
    That sounds like less a problem with Leopard than it is with your particular computer, maybe. my iPhone syncs perfectly every time - iPhoto pops up first to download any pictures i've taken, then iTunes takes over to do a sync.

For your iPod... I think it might be the size of it, actually. the new finder automatically scans any attached drive and all the files on it for meta-data just *in case* you want to search for something. I don't remember where the screen is, but you can go in and tell finder not to scan that particular drive (the iPod has to be connected at the time) - that might help improve your computers response. (I'd actually be very interested to see if this works for you, so please post back if you try it!)

On a semi-related note, i did discover one pretty annoying problem with Leopard last night. I created a DVD image (for a dual layer disc, basically home videos to send to relatives), then went to burn some copies... well, the burning process takes over an hour for my drive/discs, which is to be expected from the specs. Anyways, the problem comes in with Time Machine - it performs and automatic back up every hour, which means at some point for each DVD, it did a back up - during the backup, it must have temporarily locked the image file (even for a split second), but it was enough to disrupt the burn, giving me some brand new $1.50 drink coasters. After disabling Time Machine, i could burn completely normally...

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Nov 1 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]533380[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps a simpler explanation is that each program gets to play in its own sandbox, and not outside of it. (That's where the term originates). So any damage is limited to the current program, not to the system. This is also an old concept, the driving force behind Java applets (but not Java applications). It's a stricter form of privileged/user space, which has been in windows almost forever & unix forever, but introduced to the Mac with OS X I believe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 2 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]533857[/snapback]</div>
    I thought it was just a little picture of a terminal screen (command prompt interface). I'll have to look at that again.

5. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Nov 2 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]533871[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, if you look closely, Windows hasn't really had sandboxing in the past. Yes, they've had individual user spaces, but so has OSX. The two aren't the same, unfortunately. Any program that was installed just "for the user" in XP could still effect the system.

As for the windows share, here's the image for you:
    [​IMG]

in context:
    [​IMG]

6. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Nov 2 2007, 04:37 AM) [snapback]533774[/snapback]</div>
    This is why most pro level camcorders still use Firewire (or IEE 1394) as each device has its own dedicated controller.

USB 2.0 may spec out faster than Firewire (480 vs. 400) but real world testing shows it lags far behind.

http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 2 2007, 10:55 AM) [snapback]533865[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, I'll try that.

And my iPhone problem is not just my computer. My brothers, his also does that. Which is weird.

So maybe we are missing some key to this...