1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OTC scan at dealership only?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AnimalPrius#9, Jan 15, 2023.

1. AnimalPrius#9

AnimalPrius#9 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just joined and first post. Trying to find out if a dealership is my only option for a OTC scan. My mechanic has scanned my Prius and it has the RED triangle and many codes and he thinks it might be a module. So as far as I know I need a OTC which will scan the computer and let us know if a module needs replacing?
    The codes are as follows:
    B2775--FOB
    B1421--AC sensor by windshield
    P3107--Hybrid control---Control module?
    B1610--Air bag crash sensor
    C1310--Anti-lock braking system
    P0037--O2 sensor
    P1116--Coolant sensor--ECU module?

It does run and drive fine. Would love any input and insight.
    thanks, AnimalPrius#9

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So how is the 12 volt battery Is it known to be good passes a load test and all that at the local store dealer somewhere? All of these things doing this all at once seems a little fishy so I guess your guy didn't clear the codes after he got them once they're written down clear them and see what happens something happened that set the red triangle when it came on do you notice anything that was happening when this came on You just coming back from vacation and starting the car? Anything out of the ordinary car hasn't been used in a month? Any of that kind of stuff these cars don't do well sitting

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure what you mean by "OTC scan". Could somebody have said "OBD" (on-board diagnostics)? The car does use OBD-II.

OTC (Owatonna Tool Corporation) is a company that makes a lot of specialized tools for dealers, so maybe that's where you'd have heard OTC. Maybe somebody thinking "use the same kind of scan tool the dealer uses" could have thought that'd be an OTC tool.

The dealer uses software called Techstream, which'll run on any Windows laptop. There are also a bunch of third-party tools and phone apps that can do some of the same stuff, and in some cases nearly all of it. Those are reviewed here:

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

Really, though, it looks like you've already got your trouble codes read. At least one of them doesn't indicate a problem at all:

B1421--AC sensor by windshield

This "trouble" code is only provided as a way you can tell if that sensor is working. When strong light is shining on it, there should be no code. Without strong light, the code should be there. That's just how you confirm the sensor works.

C1310--Anti-lock braking system

This code comes from the skid ECU (which controls the brakes), but it doesn't mean there's any problem with the brakes. The skid ECU routinely talks with the HV control ECU (sort of the orchestra conductor for the car), and this code only means the skid ECU heard about a code reported by the HV control ECU. Whatever code that is will be the interesting one. That would be the P3107.

P3107 means the HV control ECU is having trouble talking with the airbag ECU. With a scan tool that shows INF codes, you can get a little more information: whether it thinks the comm line is shorted to ground (213), or open or shorted to 12V (214), or not open or shorted, but messages with the airbag ECU don't make sense (215).

So B1610 is probably related to that. That code means the airbag ECU (also known as the center airbag sensor) is having communication problems with the front right airbag sensor (which is up in the front right corner of the car, behind the bumper).

All those last three codes probably reflect a single problem.

P0037 means the heater in the downstream O₂ sensor is drawing less than the right amount of current (as could happen if a wire to it is broken, for example).

P1116 is set if the ECU doesn't trust the reading from the Coolant Heat Storage ("thermos") tank temperature sensor. Either the reading didn't change by more than a few degrees during a recovery cycle, or there was a difference of more than 25 ℃ between the readings of the engine coolant temperature and the tank outlet temperature, at a time when they should have been similar.

B2775 indicates some communication problem between the transponder-key ECU and the certification ECU.

Did the mechanic say that all of these were shown as 'current' codes, or were some shown as 'historic' or 'permanent'?

As Tombukt2 suggested, you could clear them (once, not as a regular thing) and see which ones come back.

That's asking too much of the diagnostic system. It can only tell you about certain things that are happening (or not happening), as in the codes I described above. And the repair manual will have troubleshooting steps a human can follow to try to find out why those things are or aren't happening. Might be because a module needs replacing, might be something else. It's not like HAL can just tell you to go replace the AE-35 unit. (And anyway, HAL was wrong about that.)

mr_guy_mann and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He knew he was wrong too.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Before TRD and all of that stuff OTC used to make all of the dealer tools for Toyota especially like during the late '70s through the mid '80s OTC was the company for Toyota tools

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes they made tools for other companies too

7. AnimalPrius#9

AnimalPrius#9 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As far as I know the 12 V battery is at an OK level. I’m sure my mechanic would have tested it. Yes he cleared the codes but they came right back again. I have a scanning tool and erased the codes tonight, but they come right back again. I bought this car about a month ago. I thought the red triangle was on mainly for the bad hybrid battery which I changed out and that code did go away. Yeah this car may have been sitting around for a while or not driven much. I was told it was owned by a grandfather & it was only driven once or twice a week. It is 2005 with only 120,000 miles on it which was one of the reasons I bought it because it has such low mileage.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The triangle indicates that any one of the 20 computers or so in the car One of them is seen something it didn't like and it's telling you that that's the case You can't tell by the red triangle exactly what the case is it's telling you you need to look or somebody needs to look when they get round to it If they don't get round to it they might not be riding in the car.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're getting the same codes back, post #3 tells you what they mean.