1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Other Hybrids: Camry, vs Malibu vs Fusion

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by sam spade 2, May 13, 2018.

1. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My wife LOVES her C; just "updated" it to a '17 a few months ago.
    Now it's time to do the same with my Ford Fusion "road car".

Will be looking at another Fusion Hybrid as well as the Malibu Hybrid and Camry Hybrid.

Based only on some written reviews, I'm leaning toward the Camry but I like a "solid" feeling of size in my highway car.

Any glaring negatives with the Camry or Malibu ?

I already know about the Fusion and have no major complaints about it.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fusion is going away, you can get a great deal from what i hear.
    we are on our second camry in 11 years, nice car, but nothing to compare it to. seats could be a little better on 8-10 hour drives.
    malibu doesn't sell that well, not sure why, nice looking car. don't know how the mpg's hold up vs epa.

3. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe. With the price of oil/gas going up.......and political "complications" maybe making it go WAY up......I would hope that Ford is a bit flexible in their long term production decisions. But I suspect that right NOW is a good time to get a Fusion Hybrid.

Were either of your Camry's the hybrid variety ??

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    both, i thought that was what you were inquiring about.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't heard too much about the Malibu Hybrid (for better or for worse). I would also lean towards the Fusion, if only because you may be getting great deals on them. Plus, it's also a pretty good car and you can equip it the way you want from basic SE or luxo Platinum.

I haven't driven either on the highway, only on short city test drive loops so I can't comment on that. I suspect the longer wheelbase of the new Camry should address the comfort and stability portion of highway driving. It also seems like the Camry is getting pretty decent mileage. (and fantastic mileage for the LE Hybrid model)

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sounds like the Fusion will stick around as long as it doesn't lose Ford money.
    You might be able to find deals on the Malibu. We test drove the ICE, and almost bought it instead of the Camry.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a ringing endorsement.:p

8. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think as a practical matter you can't get any car "equipped the way you want" exactly because they all have standard builds and it is take it or leave it. Maybe if you don't mind waiting 6 months.

The comparison I found of the 3 indicated that the Camry got the best mileage of the bunch but comfort and a lack of annoying features is higher up on my list. Got to have auto headlights and adaptive cruise and a not overly complicated audio system.

9. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It is not a matter of LOSING money but of having a lower margin.
    SUV's and pickups have a MUCH higher margin and are selling better......now.

10. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly all 3 are fantastic cars! I would definitely test drive all 3. I have a ford cmax it has the same engine and power split device. It's nice and torquey off the line. Can't go wrong with these 3. The Malibu uses the same tech as the VOLT just without the large battery.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which is why the Fiesta and Taurus are getting cancelled in the US, and why we are just getting some type of Focus hatchback. Then there are variables on the spreadsheet beyond just a model's individual margin. How much value does Ford give to the Fusion hybrid and Energi for pulling up their CAFE from all the F150s they sell?

It isn't enough for a redesign, but enough to keep putting the car on dealer lots with some tweaks. The 2019 Energi is getting a slightly larger battery, bringing its EV range up to the Prime's 25 miles, if you are considering plug in. Then if the Fusion can pay its upkeep, keeping it around just in case gas prices rise or consumer tastes change doesn't hurt.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.