1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Others losing the Federal Tax Credit after Tesla

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Team ChargePoint, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you the king of non sequiturs.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I guess if I'm dining from that menu, I say phase 'em all out. Tax credits are big, unwieldy instruments fraught with unintended consequences. I think this one mostly sort of worked, and that's good enough. Put down the chainsaw, the patient's cataracts are better now, a second pass isn't going to help.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You know quite well how that relates to the use of tax-credits.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...my prediction is Congress will works towards extended tax credits, or mandates for CAFE credits, or whatever is needed to encourage the plug-in market. Not that I favor that, but I do not favor E10 ethanol madates either.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Lets face it, two things have worked very well

1) The American and Chinese subsidies incubated the technology
    2) Tesla proved that big Auto was wrong about plug-in vehicles

Between the North American (US + Canadian) and Chinese market there were 19.3M and 24.7M cars sold respectively out of about 90M cars in 2017. This year about 2% will be plug-ins in these markets.

Subsidies in the two largest car markets for plug-ins probably are not needed much longer. It is unfair to the leaders to continue to subsidize the laggards for a long time. In the leaders are Tesla and GM, and they are going to be phasing out subsidies. Probably the most productive thing would be

A) higher oil tax to continue the market and help pay for roads
    B) A phase out for other car companies, say 1 or 2 years after tesla.

Any longer and tesla gets a big disadvantage as Toyota or VW could just wait, prime a factory, and pump out subsidized cars 3 years from now making it hard for gm and tesla to compete for a year.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i think Trollbait's incentives / credits / tax brakes complete "stop" includes those doled out to big oil (for decades & decades). The end result being higher costs for fossil fuel - likely driving more to plugins than government incentives ever could. Of course the Koch brothers will assure that will never happen so that's crazy talk.

#26 hill, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Zythryn likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is already a plug in benefit for CAFE. Each one sold counts as 1.2 to 1.7 cars(going from memory) for the purpose of calculating the company's fleet average.

We need to that or tax it just to keep people buying the more efficient cars.

8. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    It should be interesting to see what will happen in the used vehicle market once these credits expire. Some of these vehicles currently have pretty stunning rates of depreciation ( vs. MSRP before credits ).

9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I am guessing some movement, but not a lot while other manufacturers are still getting the credits.
    Once all the credits are gone, depreciation in EVs will be the same, or less than traditional vehicles (especially if the oil subsidies are ended).

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And remain very serviceable. Great bargains.

Bob Wilson

farmecologist and Zythryn like this.
  11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I still think this bit is yet to be proven. I'm optimistic in general but it's very tough to predict how a car will handle when it is 10-15 years old.

12. ziggy29

ziggy29 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, for one thing, they drop in "value" by at least the value of the tax credit the moment they are driven off a lot. Prius Prime loses $4500 in value as soon as it is sold, since there is no tax credit on a resale. The Volt loses $7,500. A $35K Volt immediately becomes $27.5K as soon as it is sold, plus the "normal" depreciation for driving it off the lot. I'd expect a Volt to lose 30-40% of its sale price in the first year because of this.

So in reality the tax credit does little overall for someone who will drive a vehicle for only 3-5 years and sell it or trade it in, since they will eat all the depreciation caused by the tax credit. But it does make them more affordable for someone who is going to drive them for many years, for basically the expected lifetime of the vehicle.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's low-volume thinking, certainly not product-cycle in any regard.

In other words, don't let the cycle repeat by simply extending. Any automaker can rollout a design not capable of achieving & sustaining profitable sales.

What should the goal be? You know, actual accountability...

#33 john1701a, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, the only difference between a BEV and traditional car is the motor, its gear box, and battery replacing the engine, transmission, and fuel system. We know from industrial use that motors with gear boxes have a long service life; longer than an engine. They have simpler maintenance requirements, making it harder to mess that up. The engine and transmission simply have more places where something can go wrong.

The battery is the unknown part, but the data is showing they can have a long life if they have proper thermal management. Since batteries are still improving, future ones will be even better. Upgrading an old BEV to new battery tech can be much easier than putting an improved engine or transmission into a modern car.

In general a BEV will be easier to maintain and last longer. That might not hold true to specific models though. Coolant leaks into the battery would be bad for a model's life, for example. Then location plays a part in any vehicle's lifespan.

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I tend to agree that the simpler mechanical components of an electric car stand to do well over time.

I'm more worried about software-driven stuff. Bugs that don't get detected because they don't occur until a certain offset from the start (think Y2K) or bugs that can't be fixed because the code is proprietary and the company has arbitrarily terminated support.

To be fair these problems can occur in traditional cars too, but I'm nervous about them taking center stage on aging electrics.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the Nissan Leaf has a stunning rate of depreciation because it has a stunningly poor thermal management system on its battery, causing it to literally destroy its own traction pack from heat. Heat is the great enemy of a battery. What's really horrible is the newer models packed their cells even closer together, & early evidence already shows they are degrading even faster than the paltry little tiny battery that they first came out with - because they are not liquid cooled. The newest one has greater range, but because the battery gets so hot so quick, and no real way to cool itself - if it is quick charged just one time, it will be too hot to Quick Charge at the completion of that refuel.

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    These have already happened to traditional cars and hybrids.

The balancing of emissions, fuel economy, reliability, and performance in an engine requires more sensors and lines of code than they ever will for an electric motor, and it will just increase with time. Electronic valve timing is already starting to filter into the consumer market. What makes a motor reliable mechanically, makes them reliable on the software side too.

19. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yep...there are some incredible deals out there. Kind of feel bad for the original owners though!

20. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Totally agree...once the tax credits end it seems like depreciation will be similar to any other vehicle. However, I wonder if the manufacturers will lower MSRP 's accordingly to 'compensate' for the loss of the credit. Will be interesting to see what happens.