1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ottonavi Head Unit works fine with JBL Sound System!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by glennhl, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Excellent. Thanks for the extra details. Makes more sense now.

About the Amp wire from the unit... I believe it's on the *other* black connector and not the one with the RCA connectors. No big deal; may be my unit is different or I'm mistaken.

I understand what you did for the amp antenna and it makes sense.
    But then I'm puzzled as to why there is already an amp antenna wire that rans from the Scosche side and goes to pin 13 of the Scosche JBL adapter... May be it's useless as it is unless you connect it the way you did...

As for GPS, yeah already did that; works like a charm; even inside the garage; it picked up easily 7-8 satellites. Outisde even better.

As for bluetooth, yes very nice to see the contact list downloaded automatically. A2DP works well; but I coudn't find AVRCP though; may be it's not supported...

That JBL sound problem got to be a software problem; we'll see if they can fix it overtime.

I'd like to try this 9.5 update too. I'll ask Ottonavi about it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

2. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are right, I was going by memory for the amp turn-on wire, I think it's on the small black connector. Sorry about that.

Where did you mount the GPS Antenna? I mounted mine sideways next to the starter button and I'm not getting great reception.

Not sure about what comes from the Scosche adapter to pin 13. I just cut it and hooked it to the wire from the head unit main connector that was run to pin 13 before. I was getting the FM reception OK but AM was terrible until I hooked up pin 13.

Keep me informed if you try V9.05. And make sure you get the latest uploader. Also, do not have anything else on when you do the upload. I had a DVD in the unit and had forgotten about it, I'm kind of wondering if that caused the problem.

Also, what is A2DP?

How does yours sound? Is the radio a lot louder at the same setting than the DVD/CD/IPOD?

Thanks,
    Glenn

3. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Yes, someone put his GPS antenna in the upper glove box; there's a nice spot for it on the left side; the problem is to get the cable through the glove box button. I haven't tried that yet because I didn't have time. So instead I just put the antenna in the lower glove box with all the other cables thinking I would try different positions in the car eventually. Wow; the reception is already pretty amazing. Full bars on Igo. At least for now on just a few trips.

OK I will try 9.5 if I can get it from Ottonavi or Fedom and let you know.

A2DP is just the other name for Bluetooth audio streaming.
    Amazingly some units still don't support this...

Yes, the radio is way too loud; impossible to listen to music decently.
    I got exactly the same behavior you described.
    Hopefully, they will fix this eventually.
    I mean you just can not sell a stereo unit that has a broken radio...

4. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I use the Scosche adapter the radio volume is fine and it sounds great at around a 25 volume setting, but when I go to IPOD I have to get it to around 50 (out of 60) to sound about right. Does your radio sound OK if you turn down the volume?

5. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Right now, no. Because I don't use the adapter yet.
    (Although, with the volume at 2-3, I can probably survive because I don't use much radio...)
    So I'm still runing on EAmp which really sounds great (except the radio).

I'm thinking also that may be different adapters would give different results...

Another thing I forgot to check, is if Illumination works well with the original JBL cable.
    If it does, than that means we would probably need to splice those wires too on the adapter... (the pins are on the Ottonavi JBL connector but are they used?).

6. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure about the illumination, let me look tonight.

7. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    OK so finally got some time to take a closer look.
    So yes, Illimunation (pin 2) needs to be spliced as well.
    Otherwise hu does not light up with parking lights (as it does with the JBL cable).
    So to fix this, I simply removed pin 2 from the JBL connector and installed it on pin2 of the Metra adapter. Now it works.
    Dimmer (pin 12) is wired too but grounded on the Ottonavi JBL connector; so not supported I guess.

8. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Oh. And also, the Antenna-Amp (pin 13) does not need to be spliced with the Metra.
    Seems to work really good without connecting it; I guess Metra supplies the power.

9. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks, I'll do the same thing.

10. teiresias

teiresias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not trying to thread hijack, but I'm doing an install of the G2 unit into my car and have a question if maybe one of you knows the answer. On the harness connector that has the black connector that goes into the unit (the one with the pink brake wire), there's a black GND wire. Do I need to tie this to the chasis as well or is this a provided GND in case I want to power another accessory from one of the other wires? I'm just wanting to not create a ground loop if at all possible.

11. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Yeah, this is an extra ground for external accessory. No need to tie this.
    You already have a ground coming from the the car harness.

12. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Hey Glenn,

2 quick questions (just to verify our settings):

1) Can you confirm you are running on IAmp setting? (not external)
    (because otherwise I guess using EAmp would blow the JNL amp...)

2) Do you remember or know if the Scosche adapter has a wire on pin 10 of the JBL connector? That would be just above pin 20 (Ground).
    (I'm asking because the Metra adapter doesn't and the Ottonavi JBL connector has it so I'm wondering if we need to splice this wire as well...)

Thanks

13. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, it's on Internal Amp when using the Scosche adapter. If I put it on External Amp, it doesn't blow anything up, I just don't get any sound. As far as pin 10, I wish I'd taken some photos, because I sure don't remember. Sorry.

14. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    OK. Thanks for the info Glenn.

Well, I went in again and moved those 2 pins as well anyway.
    Speakers levels seem to be more balanced this way; may be it's just me... (Pin 10 is Audio Shield...)
    Also, I put one washer behind each bottom screw as one poster recommended; now the unit is really flush!

I also put the GPS antenna in the upper glove box on the left notch.
    I could not believe my eyes again; I do have better reception overthere.

Well, I'm pretty happy with this unit now; we'll see how long that last.

Next step: hacking.... :evil:

15. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, what 2 pins did you move? I will try the same if it does equal out the gain between the radio and the ipod.

16. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Well basically the 2 extra black wires on the Ottonavi JBL connector (besides GND).
    Pin 12 (dimmer but not supported on Ottonavi).
    Pin 10 (SLD) Audio shield required by the amp.
    Both were grounded on the Ottonavi JBL connector but were not present on my TYTO-01 adapter.
    So again, I just wanted to be sure I had the same pin configuration as the Ottonavi.

That may or may not be necessary in your case depending on the Scosche configuration.

17. teiresias

teiresias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure the volume differential between radio and iPod has anything to do with JBL, because my unit does the same thing and it's not in a JBL-equipped car. I've had this problem in other vehicles, but it's definitely a bigger differential between the two sources on this head unit (radio is fine around 20-something, iPod needs to be at 40-something, particularly on podcasts on audiobooks). It could just be I have all my digital music equalized lower though, which is a possibility.

18. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, thanks for the replies. I agree, I think the uneven volume is a problem with the Head Unit.

19. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Glenn,

I'm about to try different ways of doing the update with 9.05.

Could you please tell me exactly what you have tried so far and which loader you used so we can compare results?

Thanks

20. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I tried the old loader and had some issues, couldn't recover so Ottonavi sent me a new unit. I haven't had the guts to try anything since. I'm sticking with 9.00.