1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ottonavi HU: How to customize (a bit) the UI

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bulle, Feb 12, 2012.

1. dehhh

dehhh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We should also add a windows OS7 theme :)

[​IMG]

wybitny and Allan Rizzi like this.
  2. clayfree

clayfree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I love it!

Bulle, you'll have to tell us what's possible now for the home screen. I can give you clear pngs for the rule, clock face and black bar at the bottom. That can all be handled in the background image.

I can do the same for the digital clock numbers but it looks like the "AM/PM" might be a system font so you would have to disable it if possible.

Dehhh's comp brings up another good point. If you could disable the button titles then they could be handled in the graphics and would give us more flexibility with the design(like dehhh's comp).

Based on what you can do I'll package up some graphics and a home wallpaper for you to run a test.

3. dehhh

dehhh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    clay do you need me to make the 9 application icons for the os7 theme? this theme should be easy.

bulle, any chance you could send us the rrui tool to help you out?

:)

4. dehhh

dehhh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

you should definitely get one. It's one of best head unit out there as far as oem look, features, GPS, speed, price etc.

5. clayfree

clayfree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a good suggestion. I can't do what Bulle is doing but if I had a tool that let me dump in graphics and preview them then I could work a screen at a time and then send to Bulle to get integrated.

I have all the graphics and most of the base jpegs so my current plan is to reconstruct a layered file in photoshop.

6. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius

Yes, not perfect. But certainly one of the best for the Prius.
    The only one that I know that supports JBL directly.

So people don't mention it very often but this unit is actually a RoadRover made in China. Ottonavi is only reselling them.
    Roadrover has been around for a long time and is very well known and very popular in Asia, Russia and Europe. Not so much in America...
    A few of us had to deal with Ottonavi and RoadRover recently and they were really responsive and eager to help us.

There are chinese clones of this unit; but they use cheaper quality hardware and the service is almost non existent. Not to mention rude people when you have to deal with them... (Ex: Fedom...). There are even false ads on Alibaba where they would try to get your money through WesterUnion but never ship the unit...

So do your shopping carefully!
    And make sure it has all the features you want.

7. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius

I like this Windows theme too!
    Wow, with so many choices we could have one for every day of the week!

ABOUT THE TOOL
    As you noticed, I moved from command line to Windows so I could visualize the screens and its elements.
    The goal being that eventually I'll be able to edit the binary file directly.
    I'll see what I can do to package something that would at least let you see how each screen would look like with your own graphics.
    That would be cool.
    ABOUT THE DIGITAL CLOCK
    Well even if it's digital someone might like to have the AM-PM thing.
    Plus, I think if you want to disable it, there is an option in the Options-Date screen.
    So no need to mess around with the fields; it doesn't show on mine.

ABOUT REMOVING ELEMENTS OR TEXT FIELDS
    I do have an idea on how to do this finally.
    Basically disabling and may be even removing the element from the file itself.
    The problem is I need some time to build this and find a way to test it.
    because I'm not sure how the unit would react to such a drastic change...
    (it's not like just changing a color or a picture...)

So for now I think it would be better to stick with the stuff we know works.
    So clear PNGs, gorgeous new icons and marvelous background with new round clock will do the job.

(Man, we gonna have to find a name for each of those...):)

8. clayfree

clayfree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, this will be a great start. Bulle, you were right, I disabled the am/pm so we can easily get rid of the digital clock for now.

The the end of tonight I will send you some blank png's with the proper names and a background jpeg which can just load as a wallpaper(unless you want to load one into the build). After that I can post the other wallpaper versions and people can load what they want or customize their own.

Looking Forward-
    We may want to plan out some versions. For example:
    Version 1: metal color buttons like we have now
    Version 2: Like dehhh's comp - flat graphic black or white semi opaque icons.

That would be two separate skins with unlimited possibilities for the home wallpapers, the combinations should be endless. Is there another style that we should think about? The good news is once dehhh and I have the builds we can make and test wallpapers on our own radios then post them to the group.

For the underlying screens(radio, music, etc) we probably want to do those only once(except icons) so my current thinking is they should be more neutral with an accent color (like blue), but less color than they have today. I can post some examples of things I've found for inspiration. The hope would be that no matter what home screen a person chooses it's somewhat cohesive with the entire interface. We can cross this bridge when we get to it.

Dehhh, if you have time maybe you could work on the flat icons if you would like to. Once I get this initial home screen stuff to Bulle, I need to start on the metal apps icons(10-12:eek:).

9. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Excellent.

Ah, and if you guys want, don't forget the little skin cover 0.jpg if you want to get due credits!

10. zamboni2354

zamboni2354 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the info. I like the idea that I can just pick it up at their warehouse in Ontario.

jeff

11. clayfree

clayfree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

OK Bulle let's give it a shot. This should be everything you need to make the Black Grill version I'm calling "Metal". The background is included as a png. Once you're done we'll try the other backgrounds as wallpapers and see how it works.

Thanks! Clay

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6709347/Metal.zip

12. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    I'm on it. With your last set of icons of course.
    And on the blue skin.

13. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Pretty sweet!

But unfortunately would look silly elsewhere.
    Turns out that the 482.png picture (home background) is also the backdrop for many other screens... we don't want the clock everywhere!
    Fortunately we can still use it (as a jpeg) for the wall paper so that should work anyway.
    Here is how it will look like:
    [​IMG]

And the rrui file here for you to try:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63503986/Metal.zip

But you will have to create a jpeg for the wallpaper and set it afterwards.

Another possibility, in addition to that, is to actually reuse only the grid part but as a 482 for all the other screens (because it looks really nice).

Or may be I can eventually find a way to add a specific picture for a field without affecting the others. That would require adding an extra picture in the load but again changing this structure for the first time require more testing.

Can we live with that for now?
    I mean I'm pretty happy as it is with this one!

14. clayfree

clayfree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bulle this looks really great! Everything lines up beautifully and this is starting to come together.

Here are a few more files for you. I gave you a clean mesh background (482.png - so we can see how it affects the other screens) and two wallpapers to try out, BlackGrill & Wood. Now we see why the clock was on a separate layer.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6709347/MetalBits.zip

Let me know what you think!

15. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    OK Very nice.
    Here is the new Metal2
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63503986/metal2.zip

As far I could see, 482 is used by the CustomApp screen and a few other screens that seems to be obsolete (not used) in the file.
    The real backgrounds are actually the dozen of jpegs.
    If you decide you want to make a consistent look across all screens, that's the ones that need rework.
    You decide. No obligation. That may be a lot of work.

I will also prepare a package with all the screens with infos so it will be easier to figure out what is what. Like referencing each screen, field and picture.
    More on that later.

16. clayfree

clayfree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great! That's exactly what I need. Next I'll start looking at Radio, Music & iPod and the Apps screen.

This weekend is a leather seats :)

17. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Clayfree, Dehhh,

got all the screens. 52...
    A few surprises:
    - there are many more home screens (probably not used...)
    - they seem to have left botched, unfinished screens; icons not aligned, etc
    - there is an Equalizer screen! (How do we get to that?)
    - and TPMS screens...
    - some are subscreens; they get overlaid on other screens like the Bluetooth keypad...
    - there are even Keyboard screens... (for what?)

Anyway, lots of files.
    Sending you a PM so you can look at each one individually.

[​IMG]

18. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    wow you guys taking this mod to a whole new level, lol, Ottonavi, here I come :p

19. clayfree

clayfree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Bulle! This helps so much. In the radio section you are supposed to be able to rename a station. I imaging that's one use for the keyboard, however it won't let me access it.

So many screens ... where to start:D

20. dehhh

dehhh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would start with the screen that you look at most after the home screen. For me it would be the radio screen.

But the radio screen looks like a lot of work.