1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Our 2010 Gen3 is going to the great Prius graveyard in the sky ( due to accident )

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by farmecologist, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just editorial: I don't think a Prius graveyard in the sky is such a hot idea. Elon Musk's up for it, but not me. Just sayin'...

fuzzy1 and farmecologist like this.
  2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I have heard that too. I'm on it....I've done my own surveys and won't allow a lowball offer if I can help it.

Thankfully, her back already seems to be getting better ( knock on wood )...so that's a good sign! (y)

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at least you don't have to worry about the head gasket :cool:

farmecologist likes this.
  4. jas8908

jas8908 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Five
    I just went through a total loss in my 2010 with 109k a few weeks ago. They valued mine at $9600 including ttl. Pretty good since I paid 9k 4 years ago with ttl.

5. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Interesting! Thx for the info! That is better than I thought.

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry to hear we are less one Barcelona Red Prius:(.

Glad to hear your daughter is ok;).

Maybe @The Critic or @Pedal Logic would consider parting with their rides. Pedal Logic's is Barcelona Red too:).

That's if you want to spend time on the best coast:whistle:.

I'd offer up my Prime, but you say Gen3 and I'm also on new car probation by my CFO:love:.

Good luck in search of a replacement(y).

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got back online. We'll see how long the electricity stays on this time. Anyway, sorry about the wreck, @farmecologist. Glad your daughter is OK.

When you're ready to shop, if you want to make a trip to FL, Todd has a 2020 Prime XLE at the moment. Not much else of newer vintage in the Prius family, but I see a couple Bolts if you want to go EV. Listings - Tampa Hybrids Inc.

8. BurkPhoto@aol.com

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My son had his totaled during the 2020 holidays. 169,000 miles, 2010 Prius IV, loaded. The other party’s insurance company paid him $8000.00, or $1500 more than he paid for it nine months earlier.

He used that and some savings as a down payment on a 2013 Lexus 300h, which had 53,000 miles on it, is gorgeous, and is solid as a rock!

With luck and proper maintenance, he’ll add 100K miles (or more) on it.

— Bill Burkholder

Raytheeagle and farmecologist like this.
  9. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'm already working on potentially making the trip to Tampa Hybrids...potentially next week! I like the idea of a 'Florida car' without much undercarriage corrosion. Some of the ones you see around here are pretty awful in that department ( but still better than other makes ).

The white 2014 they have looks pretty good...a little spendy ( as are ALL used cars these days )...but at this point I just want to get a good ride for her that's going to last a few years. It also has new Avid Ascend LX tires...which is what I want.

I did learn from Todd that "anything over 160K" gets the full maintenance treatment ( including new EGR, etc... ). So that's also a consideration.

jerrymildred and Merkey like this.
  10. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Darn! Todd sold the car we were interested in ( it wasn't to one of you guys..was it? haha ). I wasn't quick enough on the draw there. (y) I get it...I know how sales go. You want to clear inventory as soon as possible. But shucks, I thought I had found a good one.

11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should have put a deposit on it. :whistle:

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bummer. I had that happen one time and I live 25 miles from him. LOL!!

Just a note on the FL cars. His PiPs and Primes are not normally FL cars since they are rarely or never sold new down here (I should say "there" since I'm not even in North America now, much less Florida. LOL!). They usually come from the northeast. My Prime came from NJ and had two winters on it. It shows a small amount of undercarriage corrosion.

13. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yeah it is a bummer I missed that one. Todd said Gen3's are selling like mad right now..so bad timing for us. We had Todd write up a purchase order for the 2013 purple Persona. However, it has 'hail' damage on top. There are some awfully large dents on the top of the car! I also just found out my freaking insurance company has only given me 90% certainty that the old car will be 'totaled'. Has to do with appraisal lead time and the fact we want the other insurance company to pay for everything...since my daughter is 0% at fault. When you deal with more than 1 company, it really increases lead time! Todd keeps asking 'if we still want it', etc...because other folks are looking. What to do...I guess if the insurance company doesn't tell me today, I'll have to tell Todd to go ahead and sell it...sigh.

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Well...I got some not great news from the insurance company. Since I want the at fault party to pay out, and not have ours handle it, things have slowed waaaaaaaay down. In fact, I can only get a "90 percent" probability that the car will be totaled until the other company can assess it. If my company were to handle it, they would have totaled it for sure. So I'm at a catch-22 right now. I had to break the bad news to Tampa Hybrids on the one that had progressed to the purchase order stage...but didn't want to leave Todd hanging ( I had not signed anything ).

Guess it is time to take a step back. Probably for the best. I decided to look for a 2015 (preferred) or 2014 that have the piston redesign (2014-2015) and piston ring redesign (2015).

Taken from one of the @Mendel Leisk posts :

[​IMG]

Edit : Also looking at the Prius C. Seems like a great 'city car'. She has to parallel park on the streets on Minneapolis. She is much better than me at it by far but one *must* for her is a backup camera. Anyone install a backup camera? Some of the 'two' models on the Prius and Prius C don't have them! Seems like a dumb move on Toyota's part...

#34 farmecologist, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Merkey likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @farmecologist after making that spreadsheet of the parts nos (based on McGeorge Toyota Parts info), I learned here that the pistons and rings very likely changed in tandem, ie: you can't have new pistons and old rings, or vice versa. Upshot being that what probably happened is the pistons AND rings changed in unison, at some point in 2014 model year.

This screen grab from the ...168 TSB (attached) is maybe the VIN commencement with revised piston/rings:

upload_2021-6-23_8-28-57.png

Attached Files:

jerrymildred and farmecologist like this.
  16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should have let your insurance company take care of it, and THEY fight with the other company.
    Sorry you lost out of the car you wanted. I'm sure there will be another that will come along somewhere though.

jerrymildred and farmecologist like this.
  17. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yep my insurance company is handling it...

jerrymildred and ASRDogman like this.
  18. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Great info! It would be nice to get to get definitive proof that 2014's have the new piston rings as well. I'll look closer later ( in a work meeting ).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    my insurance company wouldng even fight anything, I had to make phone calls to the other party’s insurance and fought it myself after 3 months of dragging. The other party took full responsibility, you figured it would have been done in a one and done deal quickly.

20. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could contact Toyota and ask them when the changed happened... Maybe a vin number?