1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Our household will soon be a little greener

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SomervillePrius, May 20, 2007.

1. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had been slow adapting compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) thinking that it would be better to let the lamps that "came with the condo" burn out. My idea was that this was good for the environment as energy return of investment (ROI) costs would be lower. After talking to people here I realized that replacing your standard incandescent bulbs with CFL will save more total energy then waiting for your standard bulbs to burn out.

This weekend I ordered CFL replacements for almost all lamps in our house. Finding replacement lamps took some effort as I have in wall floodlights on dimmers, bathroom mirror lamps, 3 way reading lamps as well as fully enclosed lamps (in the showers).

A few years ago I couldn't find lamp to replace the type of lamps above but today they exist. From what I've read they seem to work great and I will let you know my experience once all lamps are installed.

I ended up ordering all my lamps from energyfederation.org. They might not be the cheapest but they seem to have quality bulbs (and I read many complaints about the cheaper CFLs).

These are the lamps I bought:

*) GE Dimmable R30s
    *) GE Dimmable R40s
    *) Standard none dimmable flood lights
    *) Bulbs for enlclosed fixtures as well as bathroom mirror lights
    *) Some 3 way lamps
    *) and some standatrd CFL for good measure.

I didn't know that all these types of lights where available. I had also had bad experience with CFLs burning out in my bathroom. The reason, I think, is that I didn't have CFLs that where made for being enclosed and probably overheat.

So if you are using incadecent lights maybe there are good replacement lights for you available!

Robert
    p.s I have no affiliation with EFI and I'm still waiting for them to ship my products. I will let you know what I think once all are installed.

2. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

Neat. I'd like to do this, but I worry that my house will look like a creepy fluorescent office. The ambience of traditional bulbs is difficult to give up. Report back what you think once they're all replaced.

3. heavenleigh

heavenleigh New Member

I'm interested in your transition. I have been wanting to convert, but I really have a hard time finding CFLs that are bright enough. The only ones I have found that are at all bright enough are the 3-way bulbs similar to a 50-100-150W incandescent (I think this is like 19, 23, 29W CFL). Those are really difficult to find, today I went looking at Target and they only had 1 laying on the bottom of the shelf. They had tons of other CFLs. Even the vanity lights in the bathroom are 100W.

Are they really only targeting CFLs for low-wattage lights? Am I the only person in the world that needs 150W for my room lighting? Will this technology develop to make these cheaper, smaller, and brighter anytime soon?

Also, how do you dispose of them? I though I recall that they have something harmful that you shouldn't just throw away. I need to throw away one that gives off very blue light--it is unusable.

--
    Hillary

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Les Gas @ May 20 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]446332[/snapback]</div>
    I have a mix of CFLs and incandescents in my house. I haven't noticed a lighting difference, although my wife apparently could tell it on one yellow-painted wall. I did burn out a couple CFLs that I mistakenly put in that was on a dimmable switch (altho we rarely used that feature). Some take about a second to really click on, so sometimes where there's a double light (like in the kitchen overhead light), I'll use one of each, so we have instant light, and a second later bright light.

The biggest problem I have is I told her these were extra-efficient, so I was putting them in where we tend to leave lights on the most, now she has a tendency to turn those lights on and leave them on because it's apparently "free to use".

Just lately I found the globe lights for the bathroom vanity in CFL form, so I bought a couple and will try that. We're always burning out those lights, so it will be nice to have long-lasting ones there.

5. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ May 20 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]446349[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, here in FL, it is truly free light (or even slightly better) once I calculated the energy the A/C uses to pump the excess heat (of incandescents) out of the house!

As to the "ambiance" concern, there are a number of lower "color temp" CF lights out there nowadays. I'm not familiar with them, since I prefer the colder/bluer "OR light" that mundane CFL's deliver. My wife and I aren't for half-measures where lighting is concerned.

6. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Les Gas @ May 20 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]446332[/snapback]</div>

Last months Popular Mechanics had a test of bulbs last month and it showed that the color temp of most modern CF's is better then regular light bulbs.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journ...nt/4215199.html

Check it out its a very good article.

7. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We changed all our lights (48) to CFLs also except for those switches that have dimmers and motion detectors. I still have another 50 or so recessed lighting that I will wait until those bulbs burn out.

8. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The color temperature of CFLs have become a lot better. So the ones I have don't feel "cold" but just like any other lamp.

CFLs need to be recycled (as they contain lead). The city I live in does it, and I think most do, otherwise you can buy recycling boxes that you can fill up and send away to properly dispose of them.

I haven't found a need to a 150Watt bulb! You only have one bulb in your room? I think the site I pointed too had a special area for really strong bulbs so it might be worth a check. For me I replace 50-65 watt lamps and CFLs easily replace that.

I will let everyone know what I find once they are all installed, but I'm not really concerned. The Dimmable flood lights was my main hold-up but now that I can dim the CFLs I'm all for them.

Dimmable CFLs only dim to about 20% which is ok for me but it might not give the same ultra cozy lights as incadecent does. Me? I'm not willing to pay the price for having that ultra cozy light. I'll use candles for that and CFL for day to day use.

/Robert

9. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Update:

I received half of my new CFL lamps and the ones I was most worried about (the dimmable CFL flood lights). I'm still waiting for other replacement bulbs (for enclosed spaces, and lights over bathroom mirrors)

I have two sizes of flood lights called R30 and R40. The R30 are slightly smaller. I also have 4 types (sigh!) of dimmers. Here are my experiences:

The larger R40s are used in the master bedroom. The new CFLs are a lot brighter then the old one (more like 90W equivalent, then the 75W they replace). They make the room really bright at full effect. At lowest dimmable setting they provide great lighting. They only dim to about 20% of max, far from incandescents, but provide a colder but pleasant "daylight" light. They work well with the Levitron manual slider I have (small button + large slider).

The R30s are used in three location (kitchen, dining area, living room) with three different levitron dimmers. While they replace a 65W lamp they are brighter then the ones they replace. They provide a great "daylight" light. A little colder then the old ones but colors seem more natural. They seem to dim a little less then the larger R40s but at lowest setting they are very pleasant, and highest setting is great for cooking/cleaning etc.

All dimmers I have work but:

*) In the kitchen I have a levitron dimmer with built-in light behind the large button (and with a small manual dimmer level on the side). This dimmer works as well as the dimmer in the master bed room. Slide to low the lights stay on.
    *) The living area has a very similar dimmer, only difference is no "back light" of button. Lamps works great with this dimmer, but if I slide dimmer to low the lights go out, I have to stay maybe 10% above low, and there they provide the same low light as the kitchen ones.
    *) The eating area have a digital levtiron dimmer, that allows diming from two different switched. This dimmer doesn't work 100% with the CFL, but I think I can live with it, or I will replace the dimmers. 1) Only the main switch/dimmer work (i.e turns lights on/off/dim) while secondary switch can only turn-off lights. 2) To turn the lights on I need to hold the button until I see the lights turn-on or the electronics in the switch gets confused. Once on they dim as expected.
    *) If a dimmer is left on low and the lights are turned off, then the lamp will not turn back on. It needs at-least something like 50% power to turn on. Once on they can be turned low right away.

Conclusion:

*) I replaced 15 flood lights with CFLs. These 15 flood lights uses less energy then the 4 (larger) flood lights in my bedroom. While making this switch I realized how much of a saving this is.
    *) Light is very pleasant from the GE lights. It's more "daylight" then the old flood lights which mean they feel a little brighter/colder but to my wife and I this is a more pleasant light with better color rendering
    *) They work with (most) dimmers, but they dim from "comfortable bright" to "cleaning bright" instead of "warm glow" to "slightly uncomfortable bright".

For me the trade of is well worth it!

Now I'm waiting the replacement lamps for my remaining incandescents. These should be a more straight forward replacement as they don't need to dim.

10. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok,

Received remaining CFL bulbs. These where the mini bulbs that works in enclosed spaces. -> http://www.energyfederation.org/consumer/d..._25_44_168_1620 I also use them in any location where the bulb can be seen (like in bathroom mirrors) as they look more traditional and also provide a softer light.

Light is very pleasant and as bright as the ones they replace.

Apart from 5 halogen lights all my other lights are CFLs. I will replace the halogens as well. 2 of them I should be able to replace witha CFL, one is a mood light so I'm thinking LED. The last two are on a dimmer in the bathroom and I haven't done enough research to find an alternative.

This was a good time to replace the lamps as this is the first warm day in Boston so I have my central air condition running and now it will not have to cool my lamps (as much).

It's probably just me but if feels like my living room is staying cooler then before. I guess removing 650Watts of mostly heat generation was good!

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    650W! Wow. So what did you knock it down to with the replacements. This is a great thread, BTW. I'm going to look into energyfederation for future bulbs.

12. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    650W -> 130 still dimmable Watts. New lamps produce more lumens and have more daylight like light. The only negative is that they don't dim as much as old lamps.

I've had very good experience with EFI. They seem to sell quality products (after reading reviews of CFL lamps). I've seen other cheaper CFLs but they have had mixed reviews (at best). So far both my orders have shipped the same day they where received (ordered in morning).

These new CFLs are much better then CFLs I tried a couple of years ago. Gone is the flickering bleak light of yesteryear. I'm very happy with this change.

All my appliances are Energy Star marked, I have a tank less hot water system, my widows are "energy star" as well and the heater/conditioner among the most efficient.

Now with all lamps changed I don't know what to change next.

This is not my final home, I think I will move within 5 years so no solar panels for this home. Hope to do that in next home.

13. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I ordered some globe lights to replace some Home Depot specials that lasted all of a year. They took forever to come on so it's two steps up, hopefully.

650W of spacing heater mostly eliminated, that's excellent.

The thing I liked the most about the site was the descriptions of color temp and the like. That was really helpful.

14. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jun 15 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]462674[/snapback]</div>

The GE bulbs that Sam's Club sells are priced great and last well.
    I initiated a study at the power plant that I work to do a trial of cfl's three years ago. We bought 500 26 watt from Sam's club and after 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 85% were still burning. They were used in open fixtures as well as the industrial enclosed that look like a quart jar.

That convinced purchasing that they were financially "a bargain." The standard 130volt rough service that we were using had a failure rate of 90% in 30 days. Infant mortality was 8% compared to .004% for cfl.

I don't have the figures here, but the labor rate comparison for changing the burned out incandescent bulbs was staggering compared to the cfl. Just figure the power consumption as well!

15. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(msirach @ Jun 15 2007, 06:02 PM) [snapback]462691[/snapback]</div>
    Nice. So the test lasted 3 years?