1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Our new Prime now enjoys a shady parking spot at home - new canopy !

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by GKL, Jun 22, 2020.

1. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And exactly how do you know how many are in use......and how many "incidents" there have been ???
    Hint: You don't know.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not knowing either way, and not knowing what wind speed would move the carport is not a reason to panic

Rob43 likes this.
  3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My carport is anchored with four three foot long mobile home anchors screwed into the hard red clay soil. The installer had a very hard time placing them with a massive two man power auger. My local codes require a 120mph wind load rating.

So, I believe that I'm pretty secure.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nice looking backyard;).

Better than what ours looks like right now :eek::
    1DB646D4-ED76-43BD-B340-6F405268A3A2.jpeg 417BA09D-F021-4B62-AE55-87A0D48EE2A6.jpeg

But a pool is in our not to distant future:).

It kept the kids plastered to the patio most of the day, so built in entertainment(y).

bisco likes this.
  5. eatriceyo

eatriceyo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    looks nice

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They are ubiquitous here. And don't last long. I can see three from my office which is out in the country. They've all been replaced. Our office had one -- twice. After it blew apart (not away) the second time, they quit messing with them. If it's properly tied down, it just gets ripped apart and flaps in the wind. If it's not properly tied down, then you're in league with the jerks who refuse to secure their patio furniture when a storm's coming.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you folks get some serious storms. if we had one, i might have to remove the cover every few years

GKL likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's what I'd do.

GKL likes this.
  9. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The original canopy I bought years ago has held up pretty well, we did have to replace the cover after about 3 years of being in the harsh sun, but that is not bad as far as any such type cover goes.

Actually I am on the process of getting a 2nd canopy up (for our Kia Soul) right next to the first one, I don't think it will look bad in fact it looks pretty neat, especially at night with the solar string lights outlining it !

The added advantage we have is we live in a semi-rural area off a short side road and not a main road and we have 1 1/2 acres with trees, so our property is not out in a high profile visible area.

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  10. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks great! And will also protect against hail. Here, in southern Colorado, we can have severe hailstorms and I know folks with stacks of blankets they keep by the front door so they can run out and cover their cars when hail hits. Since my Tundra won't fit in my garage (crew cab) I have a custom cover for it I'll put on her in the summer when I'm not using her. (She's my winter vehicle and also pulls our camper trailer around.)

jerrymildred and GKL like this.
  11. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Not sure how you had the frame secured to the ground, but depending on how it was secured it should take quite a powerful wind to move it.

Very nice !!!!

Now that would have been my preference, but in our area to have a metal canopy that large would likely have cost us maybe close to $2000 or more, and we are trying to stay within a budget, whereas we got the canopy pictured in my original post for $189 with free shipping, big difference.

Neat !!!!

#31 GKL, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2020
  12. route246

route246 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This is nice. Does it stand up well in storms or require storm prep?

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  13. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Good price for a replacement cover !

I can appreciate that a person's location and average weather can affect if would work for their area, but we are very very far from the coastline.

That is the key, to watch the weather, and the very rare times we might get extreme enough weather that could damage the cover, to simply remove the covers until the storm is over, the wind should not affect the metal frame by itself.

Thanks !

Smart idea with the blankets, fortunately hail is pretty rare in our local area.

#33 GKL, Jun 24, 2020
  14. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No. I got the extra strong upgraded 10 gauge instead of the 12 gauge tube frame spaced four feet apart rather than the standard five feet. The bottom rails are welded to the risers and are anchored into the hard red clay with four feet deep auger "screwed in" mobile home anchors.

The engineer had the unit tested at the hurricane tunnel at Clemson University. Their test model remained intact at 120mph. They did not test to destruction.

It was cheaper than I thought. I got the upgraded model 20x20 for $1250 installed with no sales tax. I also added an extra foot in height for the same price.

The 20x20 basic model would have been under $1,000. 12x20 would have been under $800. installed.

#34 Georgina Rudkus, Jun 24, 2020
    GKL likes this.
  15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not the frame, the roof canopy cloth was blown away.

GKL likes this.
  16. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I think I remember seeing a 2 car one advertised around here for roughly about $1600 if I remember correctly, but I'm not sure if that included installation costs and our concrete parking area was done as a large area pour and contoured to the land and is not level which might increase any installation cost.

That still might be a possible option for later on when we might not mind spending that much :D

Okay, that sounds better than the entire thing being blown away, if a replacement cover is more pricey than you care to pay I wonder if tightly securing a tarp that would fit might be a good deal cheaper, though it might not last as long unless it is a heavy duty tarp which then might be close in price to a replacement cover anyhow.

17. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That is likely to include all materials and installation. The legs are adjustable to unlevel ground or concrete. I got mine three years, ago before the Trump tariffs, so the cost might have gone up.

I checked out three local dealers. They said that the actual business is own by one Mexican investor in the Southeast and the prices don't vary much. Mine was delivered on a trailer with three installers from North Carolina. It was put up in three hours.

GKL likes this.
  18. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, interesting, most things I try to be a do-it-yourselfer to save money, but if it took 3 people 3 hours to put it up it could take me more like 3 days doing it by myself :LOL:

19. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I have used a heavy-duty tarp to replace the original very thin nylon cover. I had to do some creative DIY to secure the tarp edge onto the frame.

OTOH, I also did have a very sturdy 10x10 Shed-in-a-box by Shelter logic (see pic) in my back yard which was not properly secured onto the ground but just staked with light-duty anchors. One strong storm did manage to blow the entire structure upside down and a few hundred yards across my back yard. You can never underestimate the power of a strong wind.

upload_2020-6-24_17-47-34.png

GKL and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  20. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Wow, I bet you likely have it better secured to the ground after that ! :eek::LOL: