1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

our parrot and a pomegranate...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Dec 6 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]358527[/snapback]</div>
    Trust me, we never mistaked you for normal either... :p

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the same can be said about you, my friend :lol:

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 6 2006, 09:20 AM) [snapback]358464[/snapback]</div>
    Not so fast there Eagle!
    It could have been backhanded (backclawed? :huh: ) blows. ;)

I'll have to send the pictures to my criminologist sister. I think her crime lab buddies will get a kick out of trying to solve a cute crime scene mystery. :lol:

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, my cockatiel, Annie, made a habit of rewarding me with 1 to 3 eggs after I leave her with a friend while on vacation. She wouldn't make a very good mother as she just lays them wherever she happens to be at the moment and then pays no attention. Here she is a few moments after laying one on the windowsill and looking surprised about where that came from. This is one of the least messy occurances.

- Tom

[attachmentid=5853]

Attached Files:

5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Better that they leave their eggs all around your house than their bird doodie! Don't they poop all over your house or can you cage train birds?

6. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Dec 7 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]359005[/snapback]</div>
    Her droppings are a lot smaller and smell-free compared to a broken egg.

- Tom

7. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OOOOOOOOOH, I didn't think about smell!

I enjoy birds but wouldn't opt for one in my house. I feed wild birds and it's a ton of work. You know, there's an eye disease that's now going around in finches and it's recently spread to sparrows (only the invasive House Sparrow, thankfully). Therefore, I try to clean my feeders monthly so that they don't spread their diseases around.

8. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Dec 7 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]359046[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that eye disease has been in Delaware for several years. I do the same cleaning routine with my feeders. Luckily I live about 2 miles from Tri State Bird Rescue & Research, one of the best wild bird treatment and release places in the world. They have a flight cage big enough to exercise eagles!

Here's a good picture of my "squirrel-proof" bird feeder, or so it's advertised.

- Tom

[attachmentid=5854]

Attached Files:

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm cracking up because I feel your pain! I ended up just feeding those varmints too! I had an extra bonus when a copper colored squirrel showed up. After a little research, I believe it's a Fox squirrel.

No worries, when your squirrel gets fat off the easy access to all of that seed, it'll no longer fit through the opening!

Feeding birds is an art form. Those pack birds (Starling and House Sparrows) keep me on my toes. I've never wanted to kill something and Starlings have changed that. I actually hope for the visiting hawks (I currently have four that come around) to take those birds down. If you've ever put nuts out, you'll witness the ravages of Starlings. They can arrive in the hundreds.

Oh, and why did you put blush on your Cockatiel?

10. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Dec 7 2006, 05:25 PM) [snapback]359058[/snapback]</div>
    It only took a week before he got too fat. Actually it was a very young squirrel and he could only fit through the feeder's screening by tilting his head at a 45 degree angle and then putting one paw through at a time. All the other squirrels saw the trick and tried to emulate him. The practically rubbed theit faces raw trying to jam their heads through the mesh. Luckily the youngster didn't get too fat while he was inside the feeder.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Dec 7 2006, 05:25 PM) [snapback]359058[/snapback]</div>
    I live in the flyway between the Delaware marshes and the Amish cornfields around Lancaster, PA. Literally hundreds of thousands of starlings, grackles, and redwinged blackbirds fly over every morning and evening. I have to stop using most of my feeders in late winter/early spring when they find them and start mobbing all the other birds away. I have had something like a thousand birds in my tiny backyard when that happens.

She came that way :)

- Tom

11. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I miss my birds. My first parakeet lived 12 years. She was green. My brother brought home 2 parakeets a few years before my first one died. He brought home a green one and a white one. Green male and the white female. The male would not let the female eat so the female died. The green one you see below is the killer as I liked to call him. He died 2 years ago. I havnt had a bird since. I would love to get an African gray, macaw, and a cockatoo. Three of my favorite birds.

galaxee,parrot_lady, and Tom_06 I love those birds.

I never was able to catch this bird in the act of making a mess but he sure did hate having his picture taken.

I interrupted him during his little talk in the mirror. <_<
    [​IMG]

He is ticked off because he is trying to go to sleep.
    [​IMG]

This bird has ESP or something because I tried sneaking up on him during one of his naps and BAM he cought me. I swear I did not make a sound and I was moving very slow.
    [​IMG]

Got him while he was napping.! :D
    [​IMG]

He caught me. :eek:
    [​IMG]

Now he is pissed.
    [​IMG]

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    casper is housebroken, so to speak. she is very good about waiting until we tell her it's okay to go (as we hold her over a garbage can, or set her on her playstand, or wherever). and when we forget to ask often enough, it's very easy to clean up.

house birds are much easier to clean up after (well maybe i shouldn't speak to the larger ones, but the smaller ones like my senegal) than taking care of wild bird equipment in my experience. each night i change her cage papers (2 minutes) empty her old food and give fresh food (2 minutes) and check her water bottle and fill every few days (5 minutes when it needs to be rinsed and filled). weekly i wipe her grate down, that's maybe 15 minutes, and then once a month or so we change out her toys to give her something different to do. that's another 15 minutes. ;)

this turned into such a cute pet picture thread :D

13. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have three cats and a bunny. All are cute but I never log in at home in order to show you guys just how cute! My bunny is also house broken. He actually uses the cat's litter boxes. This came very natural to him after I had him neutered.

For all you wildbird feeders out there I have a trick. If you want to put pine nuts out for the Nuthatches (Red Breasted Nuthatches subsist on these during the winter), keep one of those meshes that brusselsprouts, garlic or onions come in. Of course, the holes in the mesh have to be sized accurately for the pine nuts to be extracted. You can use this to put pine nuts in and tie the ends in a knot. Then, use a shoe lace and secure it inside the hole of a suet log (you know the log of wood with holes bored in it). Make sure that the sack doesn't dangle outside the hole or you'll be doomed. Starlings will try hard to consume the contents but since they're not adept clingers, they are usually unsuccessful. The Nuthatch can get a nut lickety split. I've tried many ways to thwart the Starling from consuming these nuts and this is a sure fired way. If you use the idea, you can pretend that I've patented it and send me money, k?

These bird pictures are hysterical. They are all so pretty and some appear to be vain. I didn't know they require blush on their cheeks and mirrors for viewing themselves and/or grooming.