1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Our voting system is so jacked.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Sep 29, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are many other reasons why I feel the way I do but this new video couldn't help but make me laugh.

Texas Legislation

Aren't they supposed to only vote once? :lol:

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 29 2007, 08:22 AM) [snapback]519015[/snapback]</div>
    I thought the rule was "Vote Early, Vote Often." Looks like they're in full compliance with that one.

Of course, they're certainly not doing anything new or surprising. Mark Twain more than a hundred years ago observed that there was no "... native American criminal class. Except Congress." And, apparently, State Legislatures! :lol:

MB

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe we live in a Republic with delusions of Democracy.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. The land of the free, and the home of the...Oh, say, can you SEE?

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 29 2007, 09:05 AM) [snapback]519033[/snapback]</div>
    LOL

I should have said a democratic system. I agree, we live by illusions. :)

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 29 2007, 04:18 PM) [snapback]519155[/snapback]</div>
    Take comfort in that at least you don't live in Michigan. Talk about illusions...

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Since Bush is a product of the Texas legislative system......I think it explains a lot.

Kinda makes a case for the old fashioned "show of hands".

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The U.S. has never been a democracy. And since we actually have very little say over who sits in the legislature, what does it matter how legislators conduct their votes?

However, in their defense, an absent legislator will see, when he returns to the floor, how his vote was cast, and it's likely that they have agreed with each other how their votes are to be cast. IOW, those reps casting someone else's vote are probably voting as the absent legislator has requested, and the favor will be returned on a later vote.

Which would be worse: breaking the rule against casting other reps' votes, or reps having to miss votes entirely in order to go to the bathroom?

They are gangsters and they all belong in jail. But this voting business is being blown out of proportion.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 30 2007, 07:42 AM) [snapback]519412[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel, I doubt they are voting with another representative's views in mind. If you watch the clip there is a part where one guy moves to another table to make a vote then tries to lean back to his table to cast a vote yet his tablemate (a democrat) makes the vote before he can, then when the guy tries to go back to the original table, someone else votes before he can. The only way to know for sure is to see how each person was voting. Were they voting differently when they voted on someone elses's machine?

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 30 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]519433[/snapback]</div>
    I have read that in Congress, it is common for legislators to make arrangements across party lines, whereby a legislator refrains from voting to balance out an opposing legislator who cannot be present. Of course, the favor is reciprocated on another vote at another time. Maybe in Texas it's more of a free-for-all. But Texas is a lunatic state to begin with. The Texas legislature supposedly once passed a bill setting the value of the mathematical constant pi to exactly 3. And when they want to remain in session beyond the legal time, they stop the official clock.

The story on YouTube looked to me like one of these things that's taken out of context to make it more sensational than it really is.

Of course, the bottom line is that democracy has nothing to do with it: these guys are owned by big business, and they pass the laws that big business and its lobbyists write. So the business of voting is irrelevant.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 30 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]519580[/snapback]</div>
    I cannot argue with that Daniel. LOL

12. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It appears that the voting pads have a key lock on them. Everyone was leaving their key in their lock while they were gone...

That "Debbie" rep shows the best example of hypocrisy. And I wonder how many "proxy" votes were taken during the vote for the "illegal to deliver someone else's ballot" legislation!

Not much surprises me when it comes to legislation. But even this one blew me away!

13. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 30 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]519412[/snapback]</div>
    Do you really think they were missing the vote because they had to go to the bathroom?

IMO, it's a legislators job to be there to cast the vote in an informed way, according to the views he or she expressed when running for office (which should represent a majority of their district). I can't really imagine too many reasons why they couldn't arrange to be present to do their job - i know i show up to work every day, make it to every meeting - and i never have to step out of a meeting to use the restroom.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 2 2007, 06:54 AM) [snapback]520254[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, now that you bring it up, bathroom breaks were not the main reason for missing votes. The main reason was committee meetings. Legislators serve on legislative committees, and the committee meetings run concurrent with the legislative sessions. The charge of missing votes is often raised by people who simply do not know how the legislature operates.

And if, as I suspect, legislators cooperate with each other to cast each others' votes as requested, then they are fulfilling their obligations with regard to voting.

However, as far as representing the interests of their constituents, I doubt that one out of a thousand does that. They represent the interests of their financial backers. And you can be sure that they do that conscientiously. If one of these guys fails to assure that his vote was cast as his backers instructed, those backers will stop his flow of campaign money, and he'll be out of office. And that is the best assurance that in fact votes are being cast as each absent legislator has instructed his neighbors to vote his machine. And that also is why I think this whole fuss is irrelevant: When the people are being screwed by gangsters, it hardly matters if the gangsters are screwing each other at the same time.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 2 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]520254[/snapback]</div>
    Should an elected representative do as you say - to cast their vote to represent a majority of their district?

16. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 2 2007, 07:54 AM) [snapback]520254[/snapback]</div>
    :eek: You have tolerant coworkers. ;)

17. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 2 2007, 07:56 AM) [snapback]520291[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent question, and it goes right to the heart of the dilemma of representative gov't. Representative gov't was established intentionally to deflect a "tyranny of the majority" - but at the same time, a representative who persistently ignores the desires of his constituency also fails them (and won't last long in the office).

What is NOT a dilemma, however, is consistently whoring to a narrow slice of the constituency, abandoning any personal principles or scruples in order to satisfy the desires of only the biggest campaign contributors, and only tangentially ever considering the wishes of the constituency at large. Such "representation" should be a felony, landing its practitioners in jail for defrauding the public. When such a "representative" votes against the majority of his constituency, not on personal principle but because he sold his nice person to the highest bidder, "tyranny of the majority" isn't even on the radar, but we all get screwed by an even worse "tyranny of the narrowly self-interested wealthy".

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Oct 3 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]520984[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to Amerika! As it is and always has been. Ever since we stole it from the First Nations, that is.

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 3 2007, 08:53 PM) [snapback]521009[/snapback]</div>
    And yet here you are, bitching and moaning about a government while still squatting on "others" land.

Why are you not living up to your ideals and moving back to where your people came?

Give the title to your house to the nearest Native American you can find, and go! . . . otherwise, you are just being a hypocrite.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 4 2007, 06:57 PM) [snapback]521505[/snapback]</div>
    At least I tell it like it is instead of pretending that Amerika is some kind of a golden boy. Bitching and moaning? Nope. Just pointing out what's obvious to the rest of the world.