1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Out of gas with 2 bars displayed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by amati5, Dec 26, 2018.

1. amati5

amati5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello,

My son's 2011 with 125k miles ran out of gas even though the fuel gauge still showed 2 bar left. It also displayed the message "check hybrid system". I added a gallon of gas and every thing went back to normal. This is the second time it happened within 6 mos. I Googled and it seems like a very common proplem for gen 2 and there is a procedure to reset the fuel guage. Hower, i couldn't find a single post about this problem with gen 3 Prius. Any idea? And does this procedure work with gen 3 ?
    Thx

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He may not have actually been out of gas. It could be something impeding that gas flow like a dirty fuel filter or malfunctioning fuel pump. Does it happen at low or high engine speeds? What if he just let it set a few minutes and tried restarting without adding gas? (But don't try that more than once, so you don't risk running down the traction battery.)

Pluggo likes this.
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps NOT letting it run so low???? Those bars are only an estimate.
    You could pour a large bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas then fill it up.
    Then maybe next tank put in some STP Gas Treatment. That could help clean it out.
    If he's been putting crap gas in it, it could have water in the tank. When it gets that low,
    there is more water to gas ratio and the engine stops.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Putting a "large bottle" of anything into the gas is NOT a good idea.
    Especially not when MMO comes in gallons, I think.

The Electric Me likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, it may not have been out of gas. but it might be worth having the gauge reset by a dealer.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. amati5

amati5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Both times, the problem was fixed with one gallon added so I assumed it ran out of gas. The first time he said he tried to restart the car several times. He’s been driving the car for almost 5 years and this behavior is new to him, meaning the 2 bar was always far from being empty (when I was driving for 2 weeks too).

So this is not common for gen 3? What is the most recent hybrid system related recall? I had the car software updated at the dealer but still have to bring it back for more work when the actual fix is available. I don’t know if it’s related but the first time it happened was before the software update.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can reset the gauge by simply removing the 12v negative terminal for a minute and reconnect. Everything will reset

amati5 and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. amati5

amati5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’ll try that, thx

9. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well it is really easy to test that theory.
    Simply note the amount of fuel that goes in immediately after that to "fill" the tank.
    Unless this is one of those models with a shrinking bladder, that should tell you how low the gas level really WAS.

10. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was your son driving up a steep hill by any chance?

When the last bar of the fuel gauge starts blinking, I know that I have a bit over 2 gallons left in the tank in my Gen 3. I'd often go another 100 miles or so before filling up, keeping track of my mpgs with a trip odometer after the blinking starts to make sure I don't run out. This always worked until I was driving in a hilly area, and ran out of gas well before normal with 2 gallons left in the tank. The fuel pump/pickup was sucking air due to the tilt of the car (driving uphill).

I guess hills are why the fuel gauge is seemingly so conservative, leaving about 2 gallons in the tank at Distance to Empty = 0 miles.

#10 Lightning Racer, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    GrGramps likes this.
  11. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …I think you might be thinking of Elephants? ("What's grey and comes in pints?") :eek::rolleyes:

bisco likes this.
  12. amati5

amati5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    He did tell me something was strange with the fuel gauge and has been using the mileages to fill gas. I didn’t pay much details to it until this second time happened and he didn’t expect it either.

I believe both times he was just cruising on flat normal streets. We have a steep driveway and even with just one gallon filled after each incident, he made it up fine.

Anyone knows what the recent recall exactly about? It says something about protecting the hybrid system but not much detail.

13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Holy Crap! What was I thinking???? Okay, get the 5 gallon bottle of MM Oil, and then just use about 16 ounces.
    Same with the 5 gallon bottle of STP gas treatment, only use about 16 ounces.... :)o_O

14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Isn't the low fuel warning and the gas gauge a separate system. I would think it would have showed a low fuel warning independent of of what the gauge says.

15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe so, that's why I think that maybe there is water in the tank.
    ORRRR,,, the gauge is off.
    What fuel mileage are you getting? Let's say you are getting 50mpg, then 3/4 of a tank would get 375 miles.
    So if you are "running out of fuel" then, you could say the gauge is probably accurate. And you possible have water in the tand,
    or something else. But if you are at 500 miles,
    give or take, and you run out, then the gauge would be off.
    Have you looked at the tank? Maybe he hit something and dented it.

16. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the gauge is incorrect and the low fuel warning is coming on, he must be ignoring it or at least not noticing it.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's likely then a code stored. Get that read and might shed some light. Dealership can do it for $75~, Scanguage can read, pirated Techstream on a laptop is the best, and and there's a lot of phone apps available now (you need to connect an OBD bluetooth dongle of some sort?).

m.wynn and The Electric Me like this.
  18. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And exactly what do you think it accomplishes by running it so low before filling ?
    Hint: NOTHING useful. And you risk damage to your fuel pump too.

19. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    :eek:
    OK, so never mind that the recommended "dose" is about one ounce per gallon.....which would be about 10 ounces.
    Using more than the recommended amount of any additive might make things worse instead of better.

AND......MMO is a light OIL. It is not intended to remove fuel system contaminants but it might help lube a sticky injector.

20. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NO.
    What leads you to believe that ??