1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Out of storage after 10 months, now AC isn't working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by a4retome, Jun 15, 2010.

1. a4retome

a4retome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Everyone,

I work overseas and this is the third year that we have stored/garaged our 2005 Prius during my 10 months out of the US. I should mention that while I am overseas, the car is regularly started every 2-3 weeks to keep everything lubed up (climate is set to max hot, to force the engine to run a bit longer than the usual cycling).

Yesterday, we returned to the US for my summer break, I fired up the Prius, everything looks good as usual, but the A/C isn't working. In reading other posts here, I have done a couple of tests trying to diagnose including: starting the car, letting it finish it's initial engine running cycle, then putting the AC on at Max Cold and having a look under the hood. When I do that, and have a look and listen to the compressor, I notice that the AC compressor is buzzing for 3-5 seconds, then stops. After about 20 seconds this repeats. Still no cold air.

Not looking forward to an expensive repair to replace the compressor and, as a teacher, I can hardly afford it.

Any good news here? I'm hoping for a recharge only, but I'm not sure why it would need one since it gets driven about 5000 miles a year and is stored for the better part of 10 months. The car has 41K on it. Not nearly enough for a compressor to go bad...I hope.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Chris

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

1 person likes this.
  3. a4retome

a4retome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply Patrick.

To update the situation...I just returned from the local Toyota dealership (Freeman Toyota, Santa Rosa, CA), where they told me that I need a new compressor to the tune of over $1400. This is in addition to the two hours labor at $240 they charged me to diagnosis it. Seems like highway robbery on all fronts. Really? Two hours to diagnosis a bad A/C compressor? Unbelievable.

The "service" folks at Freeman were unsympathetic, and could not explain why a compressor would go bad after only 41,000 miles om a 2005 Prius. When I asked how many compressors they have had to replaced in similar situations, they said "not many", which probably really means, "none". Freeman won't even credit the $240 towards the repair if I can gather the funds together to have it done.

Shame on Freeman Toyota. I will not go back.

I have since called Toyota's Customer Service 800 number and they are opening a case file to be reviewed. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Toyota will do right by me and by their reputation of making outstanding cars. It still seems highly unreasonable that a compressor would fail with such low miles. After all it is a Toyota...right?

Chris

4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I suggest when you get your car back go ahead to check the freon pressure in the system. I doubt the A/C compressor is actually "bad", the most likely is a leaky bearing seal. Go to the auto store and buy a R134A refill kit with a pressure gauge and leak sealant, then hook it up and see when is the pressure with the AC off. It should be around 100 psi, if lower then charge it up with the refill kit. Then start the AC and see if the pressure will drop from 100psi to about 30 psi. If so, then you will have cold air.

1 person likes this.
  5. a4retome

a4retome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

The story gets better. I now have the car back. In looking at the service notes from Freeman's Toyota: "A/C compressor will not turn on, B1476 A/C load system trouble code present. performed active test. A/C compressor does not come on. Cooling system fan operates. Evac'd cooling system. 0.8 lbs recovered. No Leaks detected. Recommend replacing A/C compressor."

Not sure what this all means so any help here would be great.

Since I still feel I was way overcharged for the simple diagnosis, I called the original dealer that I bought the car from in '05 and they confirm an A/C diagnosis would cost me 1 hour of labor (at $109). So Freeman's Toyota charging me 2 hours labor today (at $240) is dishonest at best and criminal at worst. I have filed a complaint with the BBB. And on top of that, they took my 0.8 lbs of freon. Who do these guys thing they are?

Chris

6. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is SAD! You may as well just bend over, 'cause Freeman Toyota is doing it to you. I suggest that you write a letter to the Regional Manager of Toyota, specifically spell out what has transpired so far.:confused::mad::mad:

7. a4retome

a4retome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great idea to contact the Regional Manager. Any idea how I can find out who that is?

Thanks!

Chris

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Chris,

DTC B1476 means that the load on the inverter from the air conditioner compressor is too great. Potential problem areas include a bad compressor, incorrect refrigerant volume, or the cooling fan.

The cooling fan apparently works. The standard amount of refrigerant is 15.9 ounces, so if 0.8 lb was recovered, that is around 13 ounces which isn't bad. BTW, the price of 1 lb of refrigerant is around $25.

Therefore the recommendation to replace the AC compressor seems reasonable.

9. a4retome

a4retome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again Patrick.

Now for the million dollar question....or in my case, the $1400 question...if Toyota USA does not make this right, can I replace a compressor myself, or it this a real pain? I am fairly mechanically inclined and I have seen plenty of compressors on ebay (with many more miles than mine) for several hundred dollars. A local Mom and Pop A/C shop said they could rebuild mine for $400.

That being said, I don't want to screw with is up if I do it myself. Reading about the special oil and I don't want to have a "shocking" experience. But I definitely won't be going back to the crooks at Freeman Toyota in Santa Rosa for any repairs.

Many thanks.

Chris

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The compressor in the Prius is electrically driven with an internal motor. It doesn't have bearing seals.

Tom

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Chris,

I don't know your level of mechanical aptitude, so I recommend that if you are interested in DIY, that you download the relevant repair manual info at techinfo.toyota.com and see whether you have the tools and the capability to do the job. One special tool that you'll need is a vacuum pump, unless you entrust the air purge and refrigerant installation to a local shop.

Since the compressor is not of standard design (using an electric motor instead of being belt-driven), I am not sure that your local shop can rebuild it. Good luck.

12. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Chris:
    The only really problematic part of repairing the AC is you will need a vacuum pump.
    You will need to use hybrid oil to replace the AC oil that is lost when you change the compressor. Using regular AC oil, or even hoses that had regular AC oil in them will damage the compressor if the oil gets into the system. (Did anyone work on your AC?) Not having started the AC periodically is not your problem. Unlike most cars, the compressor does not have rotating seals. There are a few o rings that are static, and should not leak. Except for the vacuum pump & hooking it up, you can purchase the freon with the hose you will need for about $25.
    Based on what your dealer said, it seems your system freon was removed.

13. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I was wondering about this too since I try not to use the A/C unless necessary to save as much fuel as possible but when I saw an earlier comment about running the A/C periodically to keep seals in good shape I thought oops maybe I should run the A/C at least once a week. So I suppose I don't need to run the A/C periodically to keep it healthy after all?

14. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You have it correct. There are no moving seals to keep lubricated, unlike on most cars and Gen 1, so no need to run it unless necessary. You won't hurt anything by not running the AC. This is the reason special non conductive oil is needed, the motor is immersed in the oil & freon.

1 person likes this.
  15. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You might try looking on eBay for a used compressor ... I'd expect that one to fit your car would cover some other model years as well, giving you a fair number of possibilities. From there, you'd only need to find a competent mechanic to install it. As noted by an earlier poster, it would be good to go online and find the technical description for changing it.

Good luck!

16. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III