1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Outdoor charging cable storage

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by adrianvm, May 8, 2018.

1. adrianvm

adrianvm New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't have a garage, so when I charge the outlet and cable are outside. I installed a GFCI protected exterior outlet with a weatherproof cover to use for charging. But now I'm wondering what to do with the charging cable. Does anybody have any thoughts on good ways to store the cable outside? How much protections does it need from the weather. (I notice that the manual says to "never wash it with water." If I took that seriously I couldn't charge in the rain.

2. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Maybe cover it with one of those patio sun/rain protectors.
    [​IMG]

3. adrianvm

adrianvm New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interesting idea. I'm kind of unsure how I could implement that without building a real structure, though, bolted down to my driveway. Otherwise it would blow away, or collapse when we got a decent snow.

I attached a picture of my space. You can see the outlet poking up out of the ground on the left and the car on the right.

Attached Files:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep it in its storage spot inside the car?

5. adrianvm

adrianvm New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, getting to that storage space is kind of awkward. It doesn't help that our car came with a rubber mat that covers the access to that storage. So we've been keeping the cable in a plastic bin in the back of the car. But it takes up cargo space that we might want occasionally. And it also makes unplugging the car more of a hassle. So I'm trying to figure out how to streamline the process. It seems like ideally the cable could stay plugged into the outlet all the time.

I picked up a plastic bin with a lid and cut a small slot for the cable. Maybe that will work.

6. 2015BlizzardPriusFour

2015BlizzardPriusFour Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Could try your local hardware/electrical store to see if they have something similar to this.

AMP1206LF | JIC Size Junction Box | Wistex, II LLC

iPad ?