1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Outer side mirror replacement in 10 steps

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PaJa, Aug 25, 2012.

1. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I broke the right side mirror by a crazy accicent and, yes, my fault. :mad:. The most expensive part became useless and I didn't find the way how to fix it temporarily, so removal of whole mirror assembly had to be done before the dealer supplies the new OEM part. Unfortunately the Prius 2010 presence in my country is pretty rare (just about 160 Prii registered since fall 2009) and there are not salvage yards to find the second hand part. The removal work was pretty straightforward and took me about 30 mins including the photo documentation. I'm sorry for low quality photos because there was a morning sun just against my Blackberry camera. Below is a removal procedure illustrated. Tools are usual: Philips screwdriver #2, 10mm hex wrench and handy plastic pry tools.
    The result of my fault:
    [​IMG]
    1. Remove front door bezel plug by simply prying on right side of the plug. There are 2 small claws up and down side.
    [​IMG]
    2. There is one screw, unscrew it with Philips screwdriver.
    [​IMG]
    3. Remove the silver door armrest cover, starting on left side of cover and prying up.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    4. Remove the windows switch, again pry slightly up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]and disconnect it
    [​IMG]
    5. uncrew the second Philips screw behind the rubber grip cover
    [​IMG]
    6. Remove the courtessy lamp, start to pry on its right side.
    [​IMG]
    and disconnect
    [​IMG]7. Remove the door trim board, there are white plugs around the perimeter of the door. The upper part of the trim simply hangs over the metal part of the door. After easing of plugs push the board slightly up and remove it. There is a weather strip on upper part of door board. One perimeter plug left in metal, so I removed it by V-spaped pry tool.
    [​IMG]White plugs positions
    [​IMG]8. Unscrew one bolt with 10mm hex wrench and remove the plastic protector.
    [​IMG]
    and remove it
    [​IMG]
    and disconnect the mirror control, flash signal LED and heater connector [​IMG]
    9. Remove the plastic install hole cover by prying at displayed position. There are two claws on left and one guide on right.
    [​IMG]
    10. Unscrew 3 bolts with 10mm hex wrench. There is a plastic V-shaped security fastener between upper two bolts, protecting the mirror assembly against accidental fall. Sqeeze it and remove the mirror assembly.
    [​IMG]
    and the job is done
    [​IMG]
    Update 29/08/2012:
    The OEM Mirror Assy (P/N:87910-47190) arrived, two days after dealer order, installed last night.
    [​IMG]

R_W likes this.