1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Outlander PHEV Finally Arriving to U.S.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by iplug, Dec 9, 2017.

1. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Except the R4h is an old platform with uncomfortable seats. (Of course my opinion of comfort is due to my body type, your opinion may differ. ) I was unimpressed compared to the CRV I drove the next day. Both were top end models. Unfortunately the CRV is not hybrid yet.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    At this rate, we'll get an Escape PHEV when the Outlander shows up.

I remember the first Highlanderh being 1mpg higher in one of the ratings for FWD. Either way, the difference between FWD and AWD with this system is smaller than with traditional drivetrains. My concern is how it works in soft sand. Toyota makes the disclaimer that the Highlander is not for off road use.
    The E-Four uses a low power motor at the rear. Really only usable for speeds up the 25mph or so. If used for regen, it isn't going to recapture enough to make up for its use and weight.

The Accord hybrid system is going into the CR-V. Again, we may see it before the Outlander PHEV.

Tideland Prius and austingreen like this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright so at least there's one other person that can back up my claim lol. (Technically @hill should be able to as well since he had an RXh and hopefully would remember).

It's not good in soft sand. There was a member (can't remember if it was PC or GreenHybrid) that took it to the beach and got stuck. Granted it's on an older version and not the current (2013+) model.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Oops, I meant 1mpg lower. Not that it really matters. One MPG higher or lower on city or highway is only going to make a difference to a dedicated hypermiler.
    I remember a comparison article stating the Escape hybrid was better for actual off road use. Then no matter what, soft sand requires dropping tire pressures.

For most people's "needs", electric AWD on a hybrid is better than the mechanical system; less to no penalty in fuel economy. That's because asymmetrical AWD is all they need for the conditions they worry about. With symmetrical, or full time 4WD, use, the system could bump into the limit of the battery's charge. Go a few miles through soft sand, and you might lose AWD when the SOC drops, and the power-split can't supply enough electric for the rear.

Tideland Prius likes this.