1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Outrageous Price .. prius over MSRP

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by omgitsroy326, Jul 1, 2008.

1. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So cal.
    Package 5
    Charging 32,665 with 2 weeks wait....

Let's continue this list

2. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not surprised. Too bad the dealers that do this cannot be prosecuted for price gouging. Profit is one thing, ridiculous greed is another.

3. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sad thing is some will pay over MSRP thus fanning the flames :mad:

4. zaxinc

zaxinc New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sad to say, it's supply and demand, folks. :alien: Why do you think prices for gas guzzling are plummeting?

5. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's supply and demand that the Prii are now more popular. It's GREED that causes dealers to ask $5000 over sticker, and ignorance/desperation that causes people to pay it.

:washing:

6. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And is it the same "GREED" that causes customers to purchase a car when the manufacturer throws $5000 on the hood? Is it "ignorance/desperation" for the dealers to sell below MSRP?

7. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Take this for what it is worth.... I have a friend that owns a Prius salvage business. He said that there will not be enought 2009 or 2010 Prius manufactured to outstrip demand. The greatest limitation is that Panasonic cannot manufacture enough batteries. As gas prices go up demand goes up for Prius. He recently sold a 2008 with 16000 miles (salvaged and repaired) for $26,000 to a dealer in California. Good luck to all of you waiting. Congratulations for those of you who have recently purchased. For everyone else you may see something very rare.... a non-vintage car that is worth more that what it's initial purchase price was.

8. zaxinc

zaxinc New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Let me just say that as far as professions go, car salesmen rank right up there with lawyers, meter maids, my boss, oil executives, lobbyists, politicians, and IRS agents for scums of the earth.

That said, I can't say I blame these guys for charging over MSRP if the car is the most desirable on the market. Look at the housing market a few years ago. Houses were going well well well ever the asking price and no one complained too much.

9. echase

echase New Member

Seriously, get over it.

This should be a badge of honor to have one. This is how the economy works, scarce resources are valued at the price the market will bear.

All car salesman are not scum. One just sold me a new Pkg#2 at MSRP, configured to the color and package I wanted in light of the fact that my previous prius fell victim to a drunk driver. Minimal wait time (12 days).

I was legitamately concerned that somone might put a stop to the deal, but it went through. The GM was visibly pained when I produced a $250 dealer coupon with insufficient fine print to invalidate. (When I told him I needed some extra service department time in order to tell Toyota that I was "Very Satisfied" with the dealer experience he was visibly shaken, it felt great)

Bottom line here... it's market conditions. If you are prudent you can still find a square deal, but a lot of people are paying a premium for what is, in fact a premium vehicle.

Long live the free market! With a little good legislative guidance it's the best system we have to allocate resources.

10. Tangoit

Tangoit New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wish I could have paid that cheep for the 2 that I have.

$36,500 for a 2008 new one - touring package
    $33,500 for a 2008 used - 2K KM

No Nav
    No Camera
    No Leather

11. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes. By most accounts, we're already there. :eek:

12. Homebrewer

Homebrewer New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dang, I paid $25,000 for the package 5 in April. Sounds like things went crazy out there...

13. jcy91403

jcy91403 Spectra Blue

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Los Angeles: $30,800 package 6 (non-touring)(before taxes).
    Dealer options include chrome wheels and window tint.

Purchased off allocation list June 22nd -- car fully paid to ensure the car is mine!!! Expected to arrive at the LA port on July 3 . . .Dealer claims I will have the car within 2-15 days after port arrival. :target:

14. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In 2006 I couldn't get a Prius in No Cal without a long wait and the usual mark up. I phoned a buddy of mine who is a Toyota sales guy in Las Vegas, and got mine a few weeks later at MSRP. Flew to LV for a $100 or so, and drove it back. The dealer gave me all the paperwork, and I just had to go to the DMV to register and pay sales tax in CA.

In 2006 there was a big crunch to get a license plate for the carpool sticker, some folks had to wait for weeks and months to get theirs. I walked out of the DMV with my plates in hand.

Bottom line is CA seems to value hybrids more than other states, so for a little effort you can save a lot of wait time and some $$ to boot. SHop around, SOCal is pretty close to vegas so you even have an excuse for a good time :D

15. phoskins

phoskins New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought my pkg#2 Prius in January 2008. Since I got it, a good friend has been asking me all kinds of questions about it. She just called me and told me she went to get one (trade in a Suburban) and there is a 6-8 month wait in Southeastern CT/RI area. Also, all dealers now tack on $3000-$4000 to MSRP. She bought a 2007 pkg#2 REPOSSESSION with 29,000 miles for $27000 !!! Ouch.

16. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Because after all, a Prius is a necessity of life, just like food, water, plywood during hurricanes, iPods, and free MP3s.

17. rhodesman

rhodesman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    wow now I feel special that I bought my Prius in April. Got a package 6 touring for $27,000 and now I could sell it for 34k with the 6k miles I added!! I love the free market!

18. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What would you rather have? $5K over MSRP (what does that "S" stand for?) and a two-week wait, or paying MSRP and a six month+ wait?

It's not price gouging if there's still a two week wait.

19. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    week before x-mas in 2006 i purchased a 2007 package 6 in so-cal for around 26k... AND got some of the last carpool stickers. i consider myself lucky. i was right after the huge demand and they shipped a lot of new ones to the lots, sales were starting to fizzle out until word spread the carpool stickers were going fast. then the demand rose when gas prices rose and they are still up there now.

20. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ridiculous greed?? Who? What? Where? Where on Earth do you get the notion you can even suggest what a dealer prices HIS inventory, on HIS car lot, HIS risk, etc.?? Are we to set up the pricing police? Does this mean conversely you will guarantee me a "fair" price for my used SUV?

You're a smart guy. Why don't you go into the car business. It's real easy. Purchase 20 acres or so of land (4-10 million dollars) on a busy highway. Build a multimillion dollar showroom. Hire a crew of 100 to 200 people to man that facility. Pay insurance, workers comp, taxes to every governmental agency on a regular basis, purchase (using a loan from the bank at at least 8% interest) perhaps 10 million or so dollars of automobiles from Toyota (and you better move them fast because nobody wants last years model).

Yea, real easy. Then YOU can sell Priuses and all your inventory for a "fair" price. Let's start at below invoice. Don't worry about profits. After all, you'll just be another big, evil business that actually prints money in the back room. That's what Exxon and Haliburton do. Then you could sleep at night knowing you are not a slimy greedy dealer who dares ask above MSRP or any threshold above MSRP that YOU determine to be too much!

Rick
    #4 2006