1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Outside temperature drop-down display on MFD: what gives?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by asills, Jan 22, 2007.

1. asills

asills Junior Member

I've had my Prius for a bit over 6 months and just the other day I noticed something odd. I was on the consumption screen and I noticed the drop down info bar appeared (same type as changing the volume when you're not on the audio screen) and it said: Outside Temp 37

First off, I was on the consumption screen which already shows me the temperature. Second, I've had the car for over 6 months and I've never seen this before. Third, on my drive to work this morning it popped up 5 times (that I saw). It always seemed to show up at 37... the consumption screen would show it get a degree warmer or colder while I was driving then I would notice the drop down bar and it would be at 37 again.

Anyone else see weirdness like that?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Normal, brief alert that road temps are low enough for black ice to form. In the pre-'06 models a light on the dash also came on and stayed on constantly while temps were 37 degrees or less. It's easy to miss the 37 degree alert flash on the MFD.

3. asills

asills Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 22 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]379019[/snapback]</div>
    Wait, so it actually is a magic number 37?

That's funny. It's only been this cold for a couple weeks now in Dallas so I haven't seen it. But that would explain why it kept popping up while the temperature was fluctuating at 36-38.

Thanks!

4. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When it's 37 degrees or below, I've noticed a snowflake icon show up to the left of the outside temp display on the MFD in my 2007 Prius. I've never noticed a drop down temp display though, just the orange snowflake icon, which appears briefly and then goes away.

Dave

5. asills

asills Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Jan 22 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]379043[/snapback]</div>
    That makes much more sense. Even the pre-06 made more sense. All I get now is "hey it's 37 degrees!". Um, yeah, thanks, why did you just tell me that?

6. toad

toad New Member

Oh, I was wondering why that happens. I'm glad I now know.
    I've never know seen the snowflake. Does the 2007 still have the snowflake or just the "Hey, it's 37 degrees!" display?

7. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Adam Sills @ Jan 22 2007, 12:31 PM) [snapback]379014[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for asking. I saw the magic 37 drop-down yesterday, too. I couldn't figure it out, either.