1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

over 1,600 miles, Another World Record with a single tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ken1784, Sep 23, 2007.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I would like to report that a lady Prius driver, Potpourri@Saitama, achived 1,602 miles/tank (2,578 km). :eek:
    The computer mileage was 105.4 mpg (44.8 km/L).

The previous world record was 1,562 miles/tank.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=37247&hl=

Please note that Japanese Prius tank has no bladder and can hold up to about 15.9 US gallons, 60 liters.

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    omg.... that and the fact that it was taken with a camera phone (which I'm sure is better than ours because the quality is pretty good.. other than the white film which I can only assume is the sun reflecting off the hand/camera and the angle of the camera).

It can hold 60 litres because you guys tilt the car :p. It's still rated at 45 litres, no?

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. The specification says 45 liter tank.
    However, we believe the 105 mpg is very good number.

Ken@Japan

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no doubt 44.8km/L is a fantastic number. I barely met 25km/L, let alone the Japanese number of 35km/L

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Sep 23 2007, 11:35 PM) [snapback]516743[/snapback]</div>
    It is an excellent number especially considering the distance and duration. Yet one PHEV gets similar numbers with the smaller North American tank by using a plug-in electric assist. We're on the verge of significant mileage improvement. Compared to the existing fleets, nearly an order of magnitude improvement.

Bob Wilson

6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmmm, just remove the bladder on a us model and see what the distance is..

What were her driving conditions.?

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We are always going to have 'apples to oranges' as long as our vehicles have any differences. As long as we report the differences, the end results are still significant and telling. It moves us forward to better transportation efficiency.

Often the differences, especially if documented, can lead to improving vehicle performance for all. For example, last fall, a UK poster proposed a thermistor hack for the NHW11 Prius, 2001-03, that significantly improved cold-weather MPG. Two of us in the USA replicated his results and I'm planning to offer it as a product this fall. This same hack would also work with our friends in Japan.

Our friends in Japan have already pointed out that they are using their engine block heaters year round. One of our earliest USA 1,000 mile tank drivers (with the small USA tank) used that to technique and has at least two, 1,000 mile tanks in his record.

Although I'm not a fan of the technique, Pulse and Glide was advocated early on by a USA driver and seems to have been adopted nearly universally by high mileage drivers around the world.

Personally, I see PHEV and better still, co-generation and PHEV, as the next logical step for our rolling power plants. IMHO, this is where we want to go and once we add LPG fuel, we'll pretty well be set with a transportation architecture that will be worthy of the 21st century.

So I celebrate all advances and especially those that contribute to safety, efficiency and quality of life. It isn't so much 'apples and oranges' as much as degrees of ripened fruit.

Bob Wilson

ps. If individual driving skill is the most important aspect, then adopt the "SAE International Annual Supermileage Event" rules and be done with it. Better still, set up a bank of simulators and let the driving skills be tested on exactly the same course, driving conditions and vehicle model.

9. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow, that is unreal! And here I am all proud of my first tank 50.1mpg :lol:

I think we need to get a DNA sample, clone it, and have Toyota inject a little of it into each new Prius buyer :p

On the PHEV question, I guess it all depends on your point of view. If all that matters to you is mechanical efficiency, then maybe the PHEV isn't a huge improvement in of itself. If you care about reducing dependence on foreign oil, a 2-3x (or more) reduction in gas consumption is huge. If you care about air quality / global warming, the option to fill up with wind or sun rather than gas is huge.

Rob

11. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not trying to say that a PHEV isn't a huge improvement...it is. Being able to use electricity in just about any form instead of gasoline is much more efficient and clean. I only take issue with claims that running 50 miles on a gallon of gasoline and going another 50 miles on electricity equates to 100mpg, mainly becuse it's not usually broken down that way. In order to be accurate you have to total the energy used from both sources either by breaking it down or by using gallons gassoline equivalent (GGE) though the latter is pretty difficult unless you know exactly where that electricity came from and, as you said, what's important to you. But it simply boils down to accurately quantifying how those "apples and oranges" are performing so that we can all shop wisely when the time comes.

50.1mpg isn't bad compared to the average. Depends where you have to do your driving.

12. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Sep 24 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]516899[/snapback]</div>
    I have had one 1,000 mile tank and am working on my second right now.(619.1 miles at 84.6 mpg with 4 pips showing) I too use the EBH every day for 3-5 hours before I start out. I attribute the high mileage more to the P&G method but the EBH is still a big part of it.

Where can I find information on the "SAE International Annual Supermileage Event" rules? Sounds interesting.

13. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do the people in Japan get higher mpg because they are on a constant diet? :p