1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Over A Decade of Chat....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by The Electric Me, Jan 3, 2020.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually found Prius Chat sometime in 2009, when I was starting to research a new car purchase and became interested in Hybrids.
    I joined Prius Chat before owning a Prius, and actually didn't get my Prius until 2013.

I would say those early decade years, were exciting and dynamic years for Hybrid and Prius discussion. Around 2010 Honda was releasing the new Insight, and Toyota was nearly simultaneously releasing the new Gen 3 Prius.
    There were endless auto show, auto magazine clips and comparisons between the two "new" Hybrids, and anticipation for both vehicles was sky high.
    Not to rehash the comparative failure of the Honda Insight vs. the success of the Gen 3 Prius, but I think it's fair in retrospect to frame both vehicles using those terms.
    The first 1/2 of the decade, found Toyota in the news a LOT, and sometimes NOT for the best reasons. Allegations of unintended acceleration, tragic accidents, created conversation that has pretty much passed.

I found Prius Chat through those years to be a great place to discuss not only Prius, but Toyota and much of the auto industry as a whole. If it was automotive and news at all, you would probably hear about it here.
    Time fly's however when you are trying to figure out the mystery of Hybrid Synergy Drive. And suddenly it's 2020.
    The Gen 4 Prius has been released. The Prime has arrived. It's been nearly 4 years since I've owned a Prius, having traded it in and returned to a Honda Fit.
    There is still Freds House of Pancakes, and a diversity of news. Maybe dominated slightly about conversations about EV vehicles, and Tesla exploits.

I noticed that for many posters, if they sold their Prius or traded it in, or "moved on" they would sometimes create a final bow, Prius Chat post, saying goodbye, thanking people for past help, and explaining why they wouldn't be participating within Prius Chat.

I never did that.- You guys were stuck with me, whether you liked it or not. I enjoyed the bigger picture topics, and I felt that I had enough experience and knowledge about Gen 3 Prius and earlier, that I could still participate in posts concerning issues surrounding those years and vehicles.

As we begin 2020 have things changed?
    Yes, they have.
    I think the Gen 4 Prius is a great incarnation of the Prius. I think the Prime isn't advertised enough, it's a fantastic product.
    But was there ever the same excitement with the release of the Gen 4, Prius Prime as their was in 2010 with the release of the Gen 3?
    My opinion but I didn't feel it, at near the same level.
    People were literally ordering their new Gen 3 Prius, then tracking it's arrival as it was shipped from Japan to the USA. People overtly competed to be among the first in a respective region to own a Gen 3.
    We tried to decipher an enigmatic Blue Man Group Gen 3 Prius commercial in an effort to figure out exactly what grade of gasoline the new Prius was going to be running on, as there was some controversy at the time, over whether it would be regular octane or premium.
    But if you were at all into Hybrids and Prius....these were exciting times.

2020. and I'm NOT bowing out still. But there is less I find myself talking about. I have no hands on familiarity with Gen 4 Prius incarnations. I leave most of all that discussion to current owners.
    And the off topic automotive news, seems to of died down over the years as well. I can still check in to see what Tesla is up to, Prius Chat was my platform to watch the recent Tesla Electric Truck Reveal....cracked window and all.
    But many of the names and monikers that I remember from 2010, are gone.

But here's to another decade. And all the surprises it may bring not only for "Prius" but for Toyota and the automotive industry as a whole.
    I may find my participation trending more and more towards a Freds House of Pancakes, but I look forward to continued participation whatever the future may bring.

AzWxGuy, hyo silver, ETC(SS) and 10 others like this.
  2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great post!
    I bought my Prius in 2010, and PriusChat was a huge reason why! PriusChat convinced me that there was a strong community of support for the car, which turned out to be true.

Two years later, as the Plug-in was being introduced, I decided to order one of them and sell my 2010 when the new car arrived. I joined in with other PriusChat members as we tracked the container ships across the Pacific. I was one of the first owners in California. People were fascinated by the electric plug on the car. And it’s been a great car, 140,000 miles and not a single failure.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah same here. My first pic, kept seeing this on the way to my train:

[​IMG]

4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, we've all traveled far. Three Prii for me since 2009, and looking to go full EV, probably Model Y, by 2022. The amount of info from these forums that we've all digested could fill volumes of textbooks. Our acceptance of EV's as just another normal car is very close.

5. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm glad you still post, and hope you continue. IMO, you're one of many here that I always see posting with consideration and respect. You always have interesting insight into whatever topic you're discussing.

I've been here since purchasing my 2014 Prius. It continues to be a great automobile that I thoroughly enjoy every time I drive it. Although I have no plans to replace it anytime soon, I'm sure there will come a day that I will move on to something new. Lately I've begun to consider a Tesla automobile as a near-future purchase, which may cause me to trade the Prius. Whatever happens though, I'm sure I'll continue to remain active here at PC - due in large part to the mature, intelligent member-base that preside here. This is a good place to hang out and chat! (y)

AzWxGuy and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My Prius support started long ago, in late 1999, so I am well qualified to say even back when PriusChat was first founded it was powerful venue right from the start. I watched it come together in late 2003. We had a variety of different discussion groups prior to that. They were quite helpful, but unable to bring together people the same way. PriusChat raised the bar... and has been continuing to ever since.

#6 john1701a, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    tochatihu, Rebound and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations!

Thanks for the decade of insights...

Rebound likes this.