1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Over-inflated tires are a bad idea

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by timberwolf, Jul 26, 2009.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my brother was tire store manager for a major tire retailer in the Pac Northwest. he stated that the "Max tire pressures" on the tire can EASILY be exceeded by 50% under "normal" conditions.

iow, dont speed, slow down on roads that are under construction and you will be fine.

the "fudge" factor is designed into the tires simply because manufacturers have to post messages on ANYTHING with the IQ of man considered.

2. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This was over twenty years ago. It was in a safety cage, bent the hell out of the 2" pipe forming the cage when it went and the split rim looked like spaghetti. It was a construction contractor shop and as junior man I did most of the tire work, but I had "help" that day since the barge had just come in with a shipment of tires for all our trucks. We had recently added an extension to the inflator hose so that we didn't need to put a limb in the cage to inflate. Had to put another one on after that since it was cleanly cut.

3. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    run mine 48/ 50 and live in a area of very crooked roads(sw va) BUT I REALLY notice i don't have to slow down nearly as much as cars i am following . Better mpg results Summer driving 55.1 on mfd 54,3 at fillup

4. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The difference betweena world class tire and a piece of freaking junk IMHO.... As a French National who's had more than one drink..... I'll attribute it to the quality of the manufacture as well.....