1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Over temp !!!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Camfab, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    So at 3 months and 4700 miles on the OD my car threw an over temp indicator driving to work. 5:30 am about 60-65 degrees with a passenger driving over the Santa Susana grade which is a 2 1/2 or so mile grade it starts showing the over temp indicator. I had not plugged in the night before and had only been in the car for about 7 minutes. I was driving somewhere around 70 miles an hour and that stinker ICE was screaming like it always does. As I backed off the throttle the lamp went out and I cruised it to work. I checked under the hood at work and sure enough it had spewed coolant around the pressureized coolant tank. I drove the car home without incident at night (50 miles).

Needless to say I'm really annoyed and have lost all confidence in this car. Worst of all it's at the dealer. 3 month old car being hacked into.......

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ouch, sorry man. where do you think the coolant came from, the water pump? all the best with the repair!(y)

#2 bisco, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  3. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The coolant came out of the pressure tank tank. It's an indicator of an over temp scenario. It could be a number of scenarios, thermostat faulty, bad water pump, collapsing hose, large debris in casting or radiator.......
    Who knows, but I did drive it up the grapevine, which is a long upward grade with my wife when it was brand new ( 3 months ago) with no incident.
    One of the most annoying things about this car is the lack necessary information. You've got countless screens of unnecessary information about barrels of oil and graphs etc. and not ONE frigen display showing the vitals of the car. Clearly stating this isn't a car for individuals who actually understand pertinent information.

Mendel Leisk and KennyGS like this.
  4. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Great point.

I hope your dealer and Toyota treat you right.

5. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Couldn't handle the silence so I went to the dealer's shop. The mechanic was actually really nice and did appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed. He is waiting to talk to Toyota Corp. on Monday. He explained one potential scenario, but wants to confer with the mothership......
    Anyway we'll see what Monday brings, if anything.

KennyGS likes this.
  6. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    On something that new I'd suspect someone didn't burp the cooling system correctly.

7. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd agree, except it would have showed up a long time ago. Certainly not on a cool morning. I've been up longer grades at high temps with the AC on.

#7 Camfab, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  8. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Could be a bad temperature sensor.

9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry to hear about this. But, I don't think there have been too many reports like this. I just drove both ways over the Grapevine a few weeks ago in my almost 2 year old PIP.

You probably have a bad part or sensor somewhere, it isn't a faulty car design IMO. So it should be noted that you have lost confidence in your particular car, not the PIP in general, correct?

Mike

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any update?

11. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    So in a nutshell, it's not a temp sensor. That could be a possibility if the car hadn't actually overheated, which if you read my initial post, it clearly did. I was hoping that would be the case initially, but no go.

It seems that my car has a unique scenario, however yes I have lost complete confidence in the car. No matter what the final result, I won't trust the car to not leave me stranded. This isn't some fear based on a lack of any mechanical understanding. It's a simple fact, this is a very complicated design, with systems far in number and sophistication over most cars. My first thought which I proposed to the mechanic was to strap the car to a chassis dyno and put it through a load test. In this way they could simulate the conditions I was under. He explained that due to the sensitive nature of all the systems in the car, this was not possible. My first thought was, I am so dumping this thing once it goes out of warranty. Sadly that will be sooner than my total payoff stream...... I refuse to get suckered into an extended warranty plan....

Anyway, as I expected, not a peep from the dealer today. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow. What is really annoying is that the dealer isn't offering up a loaner vehicle. In truth I don't need one as I have a number of vehicles, however I really think it's bad form. What if this was my only car, what if I couldn't afford a rental car?

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that Hybrids...and Plug In Hybrids are by definition more "complicated" systems than most standard ICE vehicles.

But I disagree that this complexity by definition makes them less reliable in comparison to many vehicles on the road. The reputation, as well as I believe the reality for most owners is that HSD and "Prius" IS a reliable system and thus a reliable vehicle.

To a degree, we purchase Hybrids and Plug Ins...because of that very complexity. Don't we know that there is more to our "machines" than many of the vehicles that share the road with us? We embrace HSD and it's complications because we want the benefits that the system provides. We know we are driving highly engineered vehicles, with comparatively complicated systems providing us with the benefits of Hybrids and Plug In Hybrids.

If you buy a new vehicle and it has a relatively immediate failure, it's easy to lose confidence in the vehicle. But I would propose that the reputation of Prius is well earned, and the overall reputation of Prius is that of a very reliable vehicle and system. I would also suggest, that is is quite possible the failure you experienced turns out to be something that is a failure that ANY ICE vehicle could or might experience.

Unfortunately the truth is with all vehicles, even new vehicles, sensors, pumps, or any variety of parts can prematurely go bad, or simply be installed with defects already in place. Despite the industries attempts to maintain as high a production quality as possible, it does happen. My belief and feeling is that with a Toyota, the chances of that failure happening are less than with many other manufacturers.

If you have irredeemably lost confidence in the vehicle? I feel that's too bad. At that point you are almost forced to make a change, because long term happiness with the vehicle becomes almost impossible.

I would warn you that almost all new vehicles come with built in complexities that vehicles just 10-15-20 years ago did not have.

In the meantime, I love my Prius, with all it's complexities. I love the driving experience and benefits those complexities provide.

Recently, my brother obtained a new Ford Edge. He was showing me the numerous "complexities" of the vehicle in terms of luxuries and entertainment options the vehicle did provide. It's Bells had Whistles and it's Whistles had Bells. After he was done showing off his many new gadgets...of what appears to be a very nice vehicle, I asked him one simple question.

"Does it turn itself off at stop lights?"

He fell silent.

I didn't bother to further point out that my Prius also routinely provides at least double the gas mileage.

Everything today is "complicated"...but I think the reliability of HSD and Prius above average, and I enjoy the unique benefits that having those complications afford.

TomSwift likes this.
  13. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The slow response and lack of support from the Toyota dealer would probably be enough to turn me off. Unloading the Prius would be my divorce from anything Toyota ever again. I'd feel the same way about any other brand where my experience is not a good one.

It's one thing to accept that any car is susceptible to issues. It's another to accept less than stellar treatment while you're enduring a problem.

14. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Not necessarily. I've had situations where I didn't burp the cooling system correctly, and small amounts of coolant would overflow on a drive, but it took a few weeks before enough coolant leaked and the car overheated.

In your last post, I think you're being a bit generous in terms of how complicated cars are, especially the cooling system. If there was some issue with the power electronics, then that might be another story, but as far as I know, the cooling system is fairly straightforward.

With that said, there could still be some sort of problem with it, so I think it would be a good idea to purchase a OBDII bluetooth adapter, a smart phone, and the torque app. That should let you log the load and coolant temperature, which is good for troubleshooting, and getting the attention of service managers if you're worried about this. Take some pictures of the coolant stains on on the overflow tank too. If there is some sort of hard to diagnose problem, data would also help if you got to the point where you could lemon law the car (each visit to the dealer for a problem counts as 1 repair attempt, even if they can't figure out what's going on).

GenIII Prius Custom PIDs for Torque app | PriusChat

15. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'd hang in there and see if they can fix it. CA has a lemon law too.

CharlesH likes this.
  16. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The wife picked up the car for me today, unfortunately I wasn't available to talk to the mechanic. So apparently as I suspected the cooling system is not as simple as most vehicles. It turns out coolant flows via a valve into the mid pipe/ catalytic converter assembly. The computer controls this, I suppose for start up warm up. Apparently the valve was sticking intermittently. Essentially superheating the coolant and causing it to boil over. I looked up the part number online and it shows up as a catalytic converter/ pipe assembly. Roughly 2k in price. They drove the car a total of six miles so I'm still a bit suspicious. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I had initially wanted to buy the scan gauge to monitor the cars vitals, however based on posts I've read here, the plug-in Prius throws check engine lights when the scan gauge is connected as a permanent tool.

Regarding the reliability issue, I understand the car has shown to be exceptionally reliable in general, (I researched this prior to purchasing) however the plug- in variant seems to have a higher incident rate than the garden variety Prius. I felt that the smaller sample size may have skewed things a bit, but I'm proof that problems do occur.

Time for a test drive.....

KennyGS likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we have seen a few issues here, but very few. i would be surprised if they were statistically significant. all the best going forward!(y)

18. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Very simple

[​IMG]

19. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Remind me to call my son who's driving my old 2004 Prius with 275,000 miles on it that it's an unreliable, Rube Goldberg device destined to fail like yours.

Edsvfr800 likes this.
  20. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Really not sure what your point is? As I stated, I researched the Prius to no end prior to buying the car. I did note that the Plug-in had a lower reliability rating in Consumers than the regular model Prius. Your particular example is not only not a Plug-in, but a different generation as well. Again as I stated earlier I noted the less than stellar rating of the Plug- in but figured it may have been a statistical error based on a small sample. I'd love to believe that my car is also an anomaly, but I'm not happy with the current issue. It's something that will always loom in the back of my mind.

Anyway,, I took the car out for a pretty serious load test up an extremely steep incline close to home. As far as the basic cooling system goes it appears to working as advertised. Tomorrow morning will be the real test as the vehicle temp should be low enough to engage the cold start mode that theoretically caused the problem....