1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Over the Air Update vs Returning to Dealer

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by hill, Feb 25, 2018.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Tesla’s over-the-air software updates make other vehicles ‘highly vulnerable to obsolescence’, says analyst | Electrek

OTA updates, now ubiquitous for Tesla, raises the question of why so many other manufacturers aren't doing the same. This was brought home less than 24hrs ago - & realistically, the example could be any manufacturer and/or any model;
    [QUOTE ]"... Vehicles Affected: Approximately 65,000 model-year 2018 Sequoia SUVs and Tundra pickup trucks
    The Problem: A vehicle diagnostic function may unnecessarily turn off the vehicle stability control system and affect other systems, increasing the risk of a crash. ... "[/QUOTE]
    2018 Toyota Sequoia, Tundra: Recall Alert | News | Cars.com

Could it be cost? After all, OTA updates necessarily require cell service for each car, as well as 4G transmit receive capability. Do service centers like this notion? After all, the pairs get charged back to the manufacturer. Would seem likely the business model would get cut into, but in the end, save the manufacturer a boatload, despite the vehicles costing more. Think of the time saved. in less than a few hours, an entire fleet can be fixed. With old-fashioned technology, one has to make a service appointment, then get in line, and maybe wait 4 weeks before it's your turn to get fixed. Hopefully there won't be anything tragic that happens in the interim.
    Thoughts?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  2. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The legacy automakers need to either adapt or they will die.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and yet, you took a pic from the service line the other day.:cool:

kidding aside though, i don't think it means anything to most drivers. and the author of the article is just the opposite of the short sellers.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You mean cell service like the car makers already offer?
    The car makers cannot get their current electronic systems secure. You want to make them Internet accessible too ?:eek:
    I remember reading that Tesla's communication ll takes place within an encrypted VPN connection. I do not think the other car manufacturers know or care that much about data security. :(

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    they are obviously plugin advocates even based off their website name

yes, I hate going into the shop for nickel-&-dime things like electric window grunting & groaning on the way up/down. Ironically, one of the last things we took ours in for was a TSB/2nd row seating/secure issue, similar to what many any other manufacturers have been faced with, over the decades. Definitely can't fix everything OTA.
    Little known fun fact; Tesla pays good coin for hackers who can get into their system. One fellow, Jason, back in North Carolina is in the top 3. He has a cool YouTube video cracking open a Tesla pack for the sole purpose of making it into a massive home use battery backup. oh, to be so code smart.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    huh, i can't even fix my iMessage.:unsure:

markabele likes this.
  7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You forgot to mention the third leg of the "fix-it" stool: the Tesla Ranger. OTA updates for many things, Rangers for smaller repairs (said to be able to fix over 80% of Model 3 stuff), and the service centers.
    Once I get mine I imagine I will see more of the Ranger than the service center since I'm currently about 200 miles from a service center.

el Crucero likes this.