1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Over-torqued lug nuts

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mmichaell, Aug 31, 2010.

1. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Actually, it's highly recommended that you do NOT apply any sort of anti-seize or lubricant to the lugs - this will result in over-tensioning of the studs.

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Over tensioning, but I know from your earlier post that you knew that:D

3. SteveWantsaPrius

SteveWantsaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always re-torque wheel lugs with a Snap-on torque wrench after leaving a tire shop. Its more business for them later when the brake rotors warp using an impact wrench. My current Toyota pickup has not had the rotors turned on over 125K miles and the brake pedal still does not warble. My previous Toyota pickup was the same year & model but needed the rotors turned every 20K before I knew how critical the torque setting is. The tire shops tell me it makes no difference if they use the air impactor. Yeah, right!

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Perhaps.

But if you live in an area that seens frequent application of road deicing salt in winter, not using Loctite Never Seize or similar will mean you will NOT get the nut off

Or, with things that badly corroded, you WILL snap one off torqueing down again

Especially if you run steel wheels in winter, then you have to use the proper "acorn" style lugnuts. You will notice plenty of Never Seize on the threads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Somehow I feel you (and others) missed the point SyZyGy was making...the smily tells it all...

6. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Discount tires is great in my area. They torque every lug to spec(I watch), they fill each tire to the PSI I ask with a digital air compressor(50/48), rotate and balance your tires every 5k, check your air pressure anytime you want without looking at you as if you just interrupted something important. I always shop for best price(tirerack, costco, suburban, etc.) and their prices are either same or lower.

As for no anti-seize. As Jayman said, if you live where they use salt and especially on steel wheels, your not getting those lugs off easily. My '03 Chevy 3500 has never had an issue with me using the anti-seize. I put it on the bolts, and the rotors. I have no issues removing my wheels when the time comes. 115k miles should be enough to show signs of issues?