1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overdue 100k mile maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jeep to Prius, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Jeep to Prius

Jeep to Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2010 Prius II has 114k miles...overdue for several services. Dealer gave us the following a year ago. How do these sound?

perform air induction service $123.99
    perform deposit control service $24.99
    perform cooling system service $127.99
    replace cabin air filter $34.90
    replace spark plugs $233.30
    perform brake fluid exchange $103.99
    perform fuel injection service $133.99
    Perform transmission fluid exchange service $160 ($229.99 marked out)

All had a status of "fail". I don't know if "fail" was determined by actual inspection/test or by odometer reading at the time of 109k miles.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF......you plan to keep the car for more than a year......
    Then yes all of those things are desirable and their prices aren't all THAT bad.

You can save a bit of money by skipping the "deposit control" and by doing the injector service yourself by putting a can of Techron in the gas.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The best fail that was not included was engine oil change. In your shoes, I’d run.

4. Jeep to Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oil was changed. Will be due in 400 miles.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    they may have changed engine coolant: the description is vague as hell. That was due at 100k or 10 year.

the first 2 items sound pretty bs.

transaxle fluid drain and fill should not be over $100, $80 would be fair.

way too much for the plugs, even considering all the parts removal for access nonsense.

The brake fluid change was a good deal, and worthwhile: Toyota USA says zip about this, while Toyo Canada says tri-yearly or 48k kms. You should have an in-depth brake inspection periodically as well though: the Toyota schedule recommends tri-yearly or 30k mile.

Yeah, about on par lol.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... or by the due date on the next mortgage payment on his vacation home or boat.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds horrible

8. Jeep to Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I typed the descriptions right off the dealer's recommended services list. I thought they were vague too. I checked the oil and engine air filter yesterday. Both filter compartment clips were unfastened....another reason I don't trust this dealership.

Last summer, mice built nest in all 4 AC vents. They used silicon insulation from a wiring harness to build the nests. Took me and son 2 hours to clean out the 4 vents. The next day, an orange warning light came on. This dealer charged >$300 to remove a mouse nest from the hybrid battery and replace a wiring harness the mice had chewed up. Was this overpriced too?

There's another Toyota dealership, a little bit closer, but I don't trust them either.

9. Team_Geek

Team_Geek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Chances are the part they replaced is G928247060 which is the temp sensors for the hybrid battery. It lists for about $95. It probably took them a couple hours to clean the mouse nest and replace that cable so $300 don’t seem out of the ordinary from my thinking. Based on the other comments you mention I’d probably not trust them either. Any independent mechanics close by?

I had to do the same thing to my car about a month ago and it is basically an afternoon project to pull the cover off the HV battery and clean all the mouse house out of it.

10. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Rocky Mountain Priusman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

If you have the time and are capable at doing basic DIY projects I'd suggest doing the following yourself. There are many online threads about these jobs (or watch NutsAboutBolts Youtube videos) and they all make sense to do at the same time as you have to do a bit of disassembling to get to these items:

-Intake manifold clean
    -EGR system clean (EGR pipe, EGR cooler, EGR valve )
    -Spark plugs (a relatively easy job)
    -Engine coolant replacement (very easy job to DIY)
    -Transmission fluid change (only slightly harder than an typical engine oil change)
    -PCV valve replacement (not 100% necessary but a cheap and easy part to replace while you have the intake manifold off)
    -Aftermarket oil catch can install.

And while this list of tasks may seem daunting I think you will find the Prius to be a very reliable and low cost of ownership car compared to your Jeep. I think the only major item you need to be concerned about is potential for headgasget failure in your Prius. Just keep a close eye on coolant levels as your car gets on in life - that can be an early indicator of a problem - and then take it for a leakdown test to confirm if there are any issues if you see it loosing coolant. Dont let it scare you - headgasget can be replaced without extreme expense if you catch the problem early on you can still get many more miles out of your engine.

#10 Rocky Mountain Priusman, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  11. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can anyone describe to me what these actual items entail? Been lurking on this forum for a while and even did the entire EGR system clean and OCC install but I have no idea what "air induction service" or "Deposit control service" or "fuel injection service" actually refers to.

Krall likes this.
  12. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Euphemisms for:

perform air induction service $123.99 (replace intake air filter)
    perform deposit control service $24.99 (most likely: just wipe something off somewhere)
    perform fuel injection service $133.99 (dump a can of Techron or similar into the fuel tank)

This is why people who are trying to pay attention end up hating dealers...

13. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    LOL thanks for confirming that my BS meter is still working well!

I wonder if the "deposit control service" is actually a throttle body clean? This is so vague!!!
    And 123.99 for an air filter change!!!!

Edit - I am going to the car wash today. Going to perform some "deposit control service" by removing dirt deposits on the outside of my car with a hose :ROFLMAO:

#13 Rocky Mountain Priusman, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  14. Too Old to Clean EGR

Too Old to Clean EGR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a similar 2010 Prius II that I have owned since new and none of those services are on the maintenance list in the owner's manual at or before 100,000 miles, except for the air filters, which you can easily do yourself in a few minutes without tools. The Prius has relatively few maintenance items.

In Illinois you may want to change the antifreeze after 11 years, although it generally lasts longer. The transmission fluid is not in the maintenance schedule, but there are some indications that 130,000 miles is the time to do it. The spark plugs could be changed at 150,000.

Most of the time it is just change the oil, rotate the tires and make sure the battery cooler air intake is not blocked.