1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overfilling Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by marshaks, May 24, 2006.

1. marshaks

marshaks New Member

Several people have mentioned problems with overfilling the oil. What type of problems will this cause with the Prius hybrid system?

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    General feeling seems to be a decrease in mpg, at the very least.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The notion that the cranshaft and connecting rods might be splashing in high oil has been discounted. In some peoples' minds at least.

When oil is installed to the Prius engine too rapidly, some of it certainly seems to find its way into the intake manifold. I believe this can occur whether or not the final fill is "over". When Prius has oil there it expresses displeasure in a few different ways, probably including reduced fuel efficiency.

4. dandeman

dandeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newtoprius @ May 24 2006, 10:45 PM) [snapback]260733[/snapback]</div>
    Well, the same as with any engine.. if overfilled to the point the crankshaft is in the oil, it will foam the oil to the point that air can get sucked into the pressurized oil system..

Bearings don't like air circulating through them...

Also the "windage" loss in the crankcase would go up dramatically. i.e. the source of the loss of mpg.. While the website below is a discussion of helical gear loss, conceptually many of the same things occurs in the crankcase and the definitions of the terms is still correct.
    http://www.geartechnology.com/issues/0905/mba.htm

btw I've read here http://www.ornl.gov/~webworks/cppr/y2001/rpt/121813.pdf the oil misting (for cooling reasons) in the MGs is a one of the larger sources of energy loss. Also some good pics of the internals in this document..

5. marshaks

marshaks New Member

btw I've read here http://www.ornl.gov/~webworks/cppr/y2001/rpt/121813.pdf the oil misting (for cooling reasons) in the MGs is a one of the larger sources of energy loss. Also some good pics of the internals in this document..
    [/quote]

Thanks for the info. I was asking becquse I'm wondering if it could be the cause of my 9mo old 2005 Prius needing a new transmission.

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My Prius teck told me when I first got my Prius that it screws up the various sensors and something else in the intake and causes a no start condition.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newtoprius @ May 27 2006, 07:51 AM) [snapback]261761[/snapback]</div>
    ok tell us what the H happened to lose the PSD unit

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dandeman @ May 27 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]261736[/snapback]</div>
    this depends on exactly how much oil you're talking about. if someone managed to shove 6 qts of oil in there, and the computer did not stop the engine (which would normally throw the P3191 no start code) sure, you could have damage. the prius is a slightly different case than the average car. the computer will not start the engine if it doesn't like the oil level.

in the case of a slight overfill, it blows most of the excess out of the PCV valve and you can see it in the throttle body.

the oil you're talking about in the last paragraph is WS ATF, not motor oil. there are no consequences of a motor oil overfill on transmission function.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think adding the fresh oil too quickly has caused more grief than adding a bit too much. If you carefully follow the PCV plumbing it should be apparent if you flood the cylinder head with oil, the excess will flow into the intake.

I would still like to check my intake, but does anybody know a safe way to move the electric throttle positioner? I don't want to jam a screwdriver in there, what if it's a stepper motor with plastic gears? Would be pricey to fix.

This is a concern to me as I used to regularly clean the IAS/TB assembly of my 2000 GMC Sierra. That involved removing the IAS stepper motor and pintle valve. The shop manual clearly warned you not to try to move the pintle valve by hand or you would break the plastic gears inside the stepper motor. Afterwards you still had to do the Idle Learn Procedure.

10. joellecool

joellecool Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I think this happened to me. I wrote about this in another post. Now, I can't get to start the car. How could I go forward?

11. Prius Dragster

Prius Dragster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A tag-along question here regarding overfill: The owners manual for my 2007 states 3.7 quarts with filter change. Nice round number. Will just adding the entire final quart to the crankcase cause any issues? Other than potential blow-by at the fill cap and the PCV, if I could easily see it? Are there potential seal issues or anything like that? I too am a noob and while the oil was very clean when I purchased the car, the oil level on the dipstick was above the full mark. I changed it despite the indicated age and condition of the oil with Mobil1 5w30 and slowly added the 4th quart until there was approximately 1/4 left in the quart container. The filter was changed as well. No over-full issue now on the dipstick but I am curious if the additional 1/4 quart over time could impact anything.

12. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It’s not a good idea to overfill the engine oil.

As you said overfilling will cause more blow-by that will cause more oil to go through pcv-valve and piston rings. That will cause more wear on pcv-valve and also it will cause engine to burn more oil. If pcv-valve fails it will cause even more oil burning. But even with working pcv-valve more oil burned in the engine will cause more deposits on combustion chambers, piston rings, and oil return holes. Deposits in combustion chambers can cause knocking. Deposits in piston rings and oil return holes can cause engine to burn more oil.

And because oil burning can cause deposits and deposits can cause oil burning this can cause a cycle that turns your engine into oil burner.

13. joellecool

joellecool Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would anyone of this cause the car to not start up?

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Geesh, that's a new one for me. I do dump it in as fast as it'll go, without overflowing the funnel. Could that seriously be? That's not good.

I would put in the spec'd amount, chances are in a few months level may drop due to consumption, and you can use the left over for top up.

FWIW, I buy oil in a bulk container, rounding up/down becomes meaningless.

SFO and Prius Dragster like this.
  15. joellecool

joellecool Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick update that my car was able to start back up and is now up and running. I just had to make sure the High Voltage battery was properl connected back up. :)

SFO and Mendel Leisk like this.