1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overheated Prius Motor, Have some questions.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by michaud85, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Flywheel he deals with, yes it gets swapped. He mentions torque values and thread-lock too I think. I could dig up some repair manual info but I think he nails on the important stuff. I think initially he's hoping to avoid the swap, then sees it won't work.

He gets into the coolant line reroutes further along. I don't fully comprehend, but I think if you're at that stage, with everything opened up, it'll make more sense.

The EGR, at least the way he executes it, is everything third gen: the exhaust manifold, EGR system and intake manifold. The main problem: none of the connections, the bolts and studs that hold the EGR to 3rd gen engine, work. So he basically free-spans the EGR, from the exhaust manifold to intake. He also takes an angle grinder to one little nub on the 4th gen engine, that's interfering with the EGR components.

Towards the end of that thread (IIRC), someone else doing the swap manages to use 4th gen EGR, heating/bending the 3rd gen exhaust manifold pipe that connects to EGR. I think there's a couple of people now that have done it.

If you're really stuck post in that thread too, lots of contributors following it..

michaud85 likes this.