1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overheating 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ken moss, Sep 10, 2022.

1. Ken moss

Ken moss New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Help please I put a new head gasket water pump thermostat coolant temp sensor radiator and the overheating light still comes on the dealer cannot even figure out what the problem is anybody have this issue

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The question I have to ask here is I'm going through this with a friend with the same 2010 generation 3 Prius is. Do you know for the fact that the car water is overheating our radiator hoses hot to the point of where water is boiling or what makes us believe we're overheating other than the light coming on like the Tell-Tale signs in a normal car radiator hoses are way above 14 PSI we hear water trying to boil in the hoses the fat ones coming from the radiator to the engine etc is the coolant temp getting hot that's another section of the radiator that cools the inverter a separate circuit A lot of times weeding this stuff out you need an infrared temperature gun so you can shoot things and see what temps are because the radiator is divided up on section I guess can overheat while the other is not I know sounds crazy but it is that way. You need the isolate which section is actually overheating how long does it take from the time you start the car cold as like in the morning or sitting 4 hours does it take to get to overheat like if it was sitting in the driveway running which is hard to imagine because it wouldn't stay on you'd have to sit in the car with your foot on the gas can you do that in 5 minutes you're overheated or would you have to drive the car for an hour on an 80° day?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe do a little drive around the neighborhood while datalogging the two engine coolant temperature sensors, the water pump RPM, and the cooling fan status, and post the log?

I don't remember if Techstream lets you log four things simultaneously. Maybe it's only a couple? Anyway, that's the sort of idea I'd try, whether with Techstream or with some other scan tool that knows those PIDs.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You're in California if you're where the heat is you're in similar temps to what I'm in in North Carolina with no overheating in my 10 or 13 with high mileage so I did have some codes earlier with water pump circuit low performance but that turned out to be something to do with my hybrid battery and a bunch of other codes after the engine change both water pumps I had were both spinning and running after I dealt with the HV battery the low performance of the water pump went away with either pump so I'm not sure what that was about.