1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

overheating after p1121 fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ruggb, Apr 14, 2019.

1. ruggb

ruggb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced the "inverter" cooler control -- so aptly misnamed -- because of a P1121 code.
    All the AF I took out is back in except for a few spills.
    I ran it in maint mode and things seemed fine. It ran to 96°C, the fan came on, it dropped to 85°C and cycled thru that a number of times. Heat coming from the climate control. All done, NOT!
    Wife took it to church this AM and had some warnings on the way back. I got a pending P1121 but then it went away after I drove it around the block. It got up to 120°C on my drive. Running in maint it gets to 96°, fan starts and it keeps rising. No heat coming from the climate control.

What is it trying to tell me?????

2. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you mean the 3-way valve?????
    Yeah nothing to do with the inverter, that is cool by an electric pump next to that valve, but that has a different code. Also has nothing to do with the heat. I can telling you no heat and engine overheating you got quite a bit of air in the system somewhere. run in maintenance mode and turn heat on open the little bleeder valve with 6mm hex. put a tube on it to see that the air stopped coming out and keep filling the darn thing.
    under no circumstances drive the car again till the air is out, you can warp the head and kill the head gasket this way, unless you want to swap and engine in from the junk yard!!!!
    Good Luck
    terramir