1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overheating at 88c?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Darcy851, May 27, 2022.

1. Darcy851

Darcy851 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 3rd gen Prius with a 4th gen engine that was installed in September. It has been running great except for an infrequent but recurring problem with overheating when going up steep hills. It's happened maybe six times in the past 9 months. The odd thing is that I have the Torque app on my phone that displays the engine temp, and the temp never goes over 88/89c when the overheating light comes on on the dashboard. My understanding is that 88c is barely above normal operating temp, so I'm confused about why the overheating light is coming on at that temp.
    I assume that the temperature sensor on the engine block is the one supplying temp info to the OBD scanner, so am wondering if it could it be the case that my temperature sensor is bad and really the temp is higher than 88c? I've also noticed that the engine feels very hot when it overheats but the radiator, coolant reservoir, and hoses only feel moderately hot/warm. The Prius did have stop-leak poured into it prior to the engine being replaced, so maybe there is a blockage somewhere that's preventing coolant from circulating properly? I plan to try the white vinegar/water flush trick.
    I replaced the thermostat in case the wax melted when it overheated badly prior to engine replacement, but I didn't cut out the jiggle pin. It still overheated going up a steep hill after the thermostat was replaced. Hoping to solve the mystery of why it's overheating at such a low temp before I move on to the option of cutting the jiggle pin. If there's an issue elsewhere in the cooling system I don't want to mask that issue.
    The engine is under warranty with the shop that replaced it so I can take it down to them if need be, but it's several hours' drive away so am trying to see if there are any DIY things I can try first.
    Oh, editing to add that I'm not getting any codes when it overheats or otherwise. However, I just have a normal OBD scanner, not Techstream, so maybe Techstream would pick up a code that my scanner is missing.
    Edit: Also, the water pump was replaced when the engine was swapped in.

#1 Darcy851, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So do you know the water pump is turning in text stream it'll tell you how many RPMs that water pump is turning most electric motors wind out at about 3,400 generally speaking I don't know what exactly the Toyota water pump will spin but I would think it would be similar and it probably can slow itself up and down as the car tells it to by looking at the connections on the pump it seems to have this capability so maybe your pump is not running at the higher speeds or something along those lines my gen 3 or my gym too I have never been able to get the engine hot enough to where I think it's an operating temperature and I'm in the southeast United States and 100° weather I run my gen too for 3 hours coming back from Charlotte in the middle of the day in the sun with or without the air conditioning if I whip over on the side of the road like to take a pee and whip the hood up on the car and ty can touch everything except the exhaust manifold I mean with my bare hand intake exhaust head all the hoses radiator top and bottom coolant inverter hoses all of them none of them are much over a hundred degrees it's like the car never warms up I do not know if in either car if the thermostats are bad but I do know that they warm up to a certain point and they cool off very quickly I go in the house 20 minutes and come out in that hundred and something degrees I was just feeling is down to 78 very fast and like I said I am not anywhere where it's cool

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The overheating light can come on because of either of the two temperature sensors in the engine cooling system, or any of the several temperature sensors in the electronics and transaxle cooling system.

My guess is that the one reading you are looking at that is 88 ℃ just isn't the reading that is triggering the light.

4. Darcy851

Darcy851 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is that the overheating light only comes on for two reasons: either the temp sensor plugged into the engine block reaches 120C or the other coolant sensor on the hose tee reaches 120C. The temp sensor supplying info to my OBD scanner seems to be the second one on the hose tee. So evidently the sensor on the engine block is triggering the light. My question is why the sensor on the engine block is reading 120C while the one on the tee is only reading 88C. The Toyota manual says that they should be the same temperature, or within 2F of the same temperature. Would the fact that they are wildly different temperatures indicate a plugged radiator--assuming that the coolant flow runs counterclockwise from tee sensor to engine to radiator? Or would it maybe indicate an air bubble is trapped in the hose tee?
    Does anyone know a good way to test whether the radiator is plugged?

5. Darcy851

Darcy851 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have Techstream, just a normal OBD scanner so can't check the water pump unfortunately. When I looked on the Toyota website is looked like Techstream Lite was $1,700 to purchase. Not sure if it's possible to buy it cheaper off of ebay or something?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That isn't what I thought; there are also half a dozen or so temperature sensors in the inverter and transaxle, and I thought you could also get the thermometer light from one of those.

But maybe I'm mistaken. I did find this table a while back in the repair manual, indicating the light comes on either because of the EHRS sensor in the hose tee, directly wired to the combination meter, or because of a CAN message from the ECM (which is where the sensor in the cylinder head connects).

[​IMG]

The table doesn't exactly say under what conditions the ECM sends a CAN message to turn the light on. It could be only when the cylinder head temperature sensor goes over, or it could be because of that or a message to the ECM from the power management control ECU about inverter or transaxle temperatures. I don't know for sure.

The one in the cylinder head is the one that's wired to the ECM and is reported at the OBD-II standard PID for a coolant temperature from the ECM. The one in the hose tee is wired directly to the combination meter, so you will see that reading only on a scan tool that has the ECU address and PID for that.

More in this post.

Darcy851 likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's the price of a bundle. What you need to use Techstream is (1) the software, (2) an activation key for the software, and (3) a compatible dongle to connect it to the car.

Toyota sells the activation keys at $65 for two days, or $1295 for a year. They have a particular $500 dongle that they test and endorse and will take your support calls about. The Techstream Lite bundle includes a full-year activation key and the official dongle.

Many people are using it with much less expensive dongles (there are known pretty good ones around $80 to $170, and many people are using cheaper ones around $30 or so).

With a cheap dongle and a two-day activation whenever you need it, you're already spending less time and money than you'd spend to even get the car to a dealer for them to do diagnosis on it.

Also, some people find that their cheap dongles also come with ways around the activation fee. Opinions can vary.

Darcy851 likes this.
  8. Darcy851

Darcy851 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you ChapmanF, both your comments are very helpful! I'll definitely look into getting the two day Techstream and one of the cheap dongles.
    Regarding what can cause the temp light to come on, I'm not sure either but in the Toyota manual it says that the red thermostat with the wavy lines indicates engine coolant overheating. I think maybe the red triangle of death comes on for an overheating inverter.
    The reason that I thought that the temp sensor in the hose tee was the one the OBD is reading is that I saw a post on here where someone unplugged their hose tee sensor and the temp reading disappeared from the display on their OBD scanner app. Like theirs, my OBD scanner app only displays one engine temp reading, so I assumed that mine was also reading the hose tee temp. I can't find the post where I saw that. I'll try unplugging the hose tee sensor myself and see if my app still shows a temp reading.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you follow this post, you'll see I disconnected that hose tee sensor and substituted a variable resistor, and twisted the shaft to change the "temperature" reading. The tab in Techstream that is showing the temperature is the "Combination Meter Live" tab.

The "Engine and ECT live" tab is where you would see the cylinder head sensor temperature. That's the likelier one for a generic scan tool to be showing, because that's a standardized PID at a standardized ECU address. But if your app is showing the one from the combination meter, that'll be something interesting to know.