1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overheating - Coolant Pump B - Troubleshoot

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Ryan M. D., Mar 18, 2019.

1. Ryan M. D.

Ryan M. D. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey everyone, thanks in advance for your help and advice. Please read carefully.

About 1 year ago almost to the day, my coolant pump B gave out (154,000 miles), bearing was tight and didnt turn well. So long story short, i replaced it myself and has been running great for a year (currently 183,000 miles).

However, 3 days ago i started hearing a strange whistling noise on acceleration at around 35-45 mph, similar to that of a train whistle, or a recorder/flute that kids play with in music class in 3rd grade.
    I couldnt figure out what it was, as a few others on internet had similar symptoms but no solution to them after hours of searching.
    Last night, however, i was driving after a 35 min trip to relatives house and the "Hybrid system failure", yellow triangle, check engine, and overheating signals came up upon hitting a pot hole at about 15mph. So i immediately stopped the car where i was, waited for engine to cool, popped the hood and noticed tube to coolant reservoir was loose and had drained most the fluid. I was 4 or 5 miles from the store, so i slowly drove that way, fixed the hoses very tight and securely, and added more fluid so i could safely get back home.

While doing this i noticed some black specs in the coolant tank, buoyant. I assumed maybe some particles from a hose that got hot or corroded a little, but didnt seem to be many.

After all this i put the system out of maitenence mode, and drove it home (1 hour later). The whole time i wasnt able to drive above 50mph without overheating, so i would go slow and coast as much as i could.

The next day, i ran the codes with scanner at auto store next to my house, amd gave the old P261B, which is in fact the coolant pump, as i had this code last year and fixed it.

My question is, based on the circumstances, could the coolant pump have been damaged due to the heat or the few particles from hose floating in tank (possible due to the heating and drying of pipes)? Should i just buy and replace the pump again, or is there something else that might be wrong that i am missing, such as wiring or something? Thoughts advice?

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Once the car overheats anything is possible

3. Ryan M. D.

Ryan M. D. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So i should just buy the $250 pump again, or you think there its likely something else?

I just wanted to make decision quickly, as it has me unable to work (UBER/Lyft). Thanks in advance.

4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I would take pump out and inspect it and replace the thermostat