1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overheating Light Came On.. x_x

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Partroob, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Partroob

Partroob New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So last night the overheat light popped up on my dash. There was no coolant in the overflow tank. Filled it up and went for a drive.. all the coolant came spewing out the overflow tank cap. I put a new o ring on the cap and ran the car until it started to pressurize. I took a video to show what is going on. I'm afraid to drive it the way it is as I believe something will explode due to the pressure. There is some strange noise coming from the water pump.. I'm assuming I am needing a new water pump.. but I wanted you guys opinion before I spend the 230$. What do you think? Here are 2 videos showing what's going on now. The towel is just so I could touch the pump without burning my hand.

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Looks like your head gasket is blown

edthefox5, m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Partroob

Partroob New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recently replaced my headgasket. No coolant is being burned or anything. It's just getting too pressurized and shooting out the top of the overflow tank.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So the head gasket was replaced, but the water pump is the same?

How many miles on your Prius?

m.wynn likes this.
  5. Partroob

Partroob New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Correct. Right over 220k. Bought it at 210k. Swapped headgasket at 211k.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that you should replace the engine coolant pump.

Have you felt the radiator hoses to see if hot coolant is being pumped to the radiator? You would expect one hose to be hotter than the other.

If you had a handheld infrared instant thermometer you could measure the temperatures of the two hoses and the engine coolant pump.

m.wynn, jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Running out of coolant left you with air pockets. Purge air from the system and bring the overflow tank to the proper level for a cold engine. Recheck it after you take a drive.

8. Partroob

Partroob New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm. I think I only ran out of coolant due to this issue, though. I have driven 9k miles since the headgasket replacement so I don't think it would still be from that.

9. Partroob

Partroob New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Awesome, so if there is hot coolant going through both hoses, the pump is working fine?

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. Partroob

Partroob New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I put it in maintenance mode and ran it for about 20 minutes. Hoses never got hot and the water pump began screaming. It was screaming even when I turned the car off and started it normal with no has engine running.. ordered a new pump.

12. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You probably got air in the system.
    Bleed it properly and see what happens.

13. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cooling expert here (in general terms) You should check the coolant temp. The coolant in the tank is bubbling, likely due to boiling. And if it's boiling it can be caused by an underdriven water pump, or a totally dead pump, air in the system, or pressurization and/or exhaust gases via a headgasket leak.

So without knowing the exact steps the mechanic used, the parts used, etc., it's hard to say what's going on here. Lets just hope it's something as simple as a water pump. It would be a coincidence that it failed right after the HG change.

Also by changing the pump, you could inadvertently fix any bleeding issue when you replace the coolant, then incorrectly thinking it was the pump when it was really the act of changing the coolant. Anyway hope you get it fixed.

RMB likes this.
  14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I changed coolant in my Prius, bleeding the system was very easy, I just ran the heater and squeezed the fat hose with the reservoir uncapped. The Gen III had a coolant bleed screw in 2010 and maybe 2011. They got rid of it in 2012, probably because it was unnecessary.

Bottom line: It’s easy to remove air pockets from the cooling system.... you should try it first, but the loud noise makes me think it’s the coolant pump.

15. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2011 (made in March) does not have it. Will I have to take the top hose off the EGR heat exchanger to burp air out when I (partially) replace the coolant?