1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overheating with codes P3125, P3130, P3190

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by PDX_jsf, Jul 2, 2021.

1. PDX_jsf

PDX_jsf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Please help me with my 2001 Prius.
    A few days ago was literally the hottest day in the history of Portland, OR. I was waiting in the parked car with the AC on. I finally thought to myself that it could be overheating, so I turned it for 10 or 15 minutes. But apparently I rested it NOT soon enough. When I did restart the triangle of death came on. I gently drove the car 4 miles home and there there did not seem to be performance issues, etc. It drove fine. The next morning the light was still on, and I looked at the codes.

I got codes P1436, P3125, P3130, P 3190 and an impending P0304.

Some history: the car has 255,000 miles on it. The inverter fluid and oil were changed 10 weeks ago (which was 3000 miles ago prior to a road trip to Utah). The power battery was replaced by OEM at 191,000. One of these codes (P1436?) is due to the replacement of catalytic converter (which was stolen) with a cat with the wrong (or no) connection for O2 sensor; that's another issue for another thread.

I started the car and checked the inverter reservoir - Yes, the fluid is gently rolling and looks clean, etc.

What do I look at or try next?

Thank you PriusChat for helping me to understand and make best use of my wheels,
    John
    Portland , OR

2. PDX_jsf

PDX_jsf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Update - a week later:
    I filled the gas tank, checked the oil, the inverter fluid (as above - for level and to see gentle roiling in a running engine), the radiator fluid.
    Also, I cleaned the Mass Air Filter and wiped out the throttle body. Then I reset all codes.

Code P1436 about the missing O2 sensor has come back on.
    But the triangle problem is not showing (yet). Wish me luck.
    J

3. Shiloh0

Shiloh0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It is worth checking the HV battery relay for corrosion. My ‘02 just had the red triangle for the first time. Had a battery code, two engine codes, and two air bag codes (amps were running low, e.I. lack of communication/electric current). Cleaned the throttle body and mass air flow sensor. Replaced the air filter. Later threw in some Lucas fuel system cleaner and Shell gas and went for an Italian tune up. And unplugged and replugged the relay in a “self cleaning” sort of way. Restored communication two and from the battery and engine charged efficiently again.

iPhone ?