1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overnight to get COVID shot

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a guy in another chatroom claims he keeps feeling like his left hand and foot feel wet, 8 days later.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife and I completed our 2nd Pfizer shot on Friday.
    Our 17 year old was able to get their first shot Saturday.
    We had very minor symptoms like a flu shot. 17 year old experience stomach upset but I don't know if it was from the shot or typical teenage diet.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably just a stroke. Or maybe bladder control issue. ;)

bisco likes this.
  4. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That's sort of like 'a friend of a friend heard from a nurse...' :)

I don't think that symptom has ever been associated with the Vaccine before. However, if the 'guy' had contracted covid before getting the vaccine there is a better than zero chance that he had a blood clot induced stroke. And THAT can cause left side or right side manifestations of numbness. That would fall under the 'long covid' syndrome.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally had the first Moderna shot a couple days ago at a local Walmart pharmacy. Their appointment system only took a single-day appointment on-line, so I mistakingly thought that they are administering the J&J vaccine only. All other vaccine site appointment systems had both 1st and 2nd appointments set up at the time of sign-up. I wanted the J&J vaccine, so I can get it done quicker, but oh well, I have to go back for my 2nd shot in a month, and then wait additional two weeks to be fully vaccinated.

All and all, it was no big hassle and I had no side effects so far.

#65 Salamander_King, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Raytheeagle, jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Over here it seemed that most of the low volume sites such as you used were making both appointments at the same time. But the mass drive-thru sites such as I used (drive thru at mine and one other, walk-thru at some others), set up a bit later, were not. They initially had us sign up for the first shot only, then later sent email invites to special closed sign-ups for the second shot. Which for me was not on schedule because they received no allocation that week. But my second was delayed only a week, well within the 42 day window of the available trial data.

Later news indicated that someone leaked the URL of a second-shot signup day onto some social media, and many first-timers signed up. All rejected at the site for not bringing the needed proof of a previous shot. They don't require the first to have been within their system, but proof of a first shot somewhere, preferably by handing over the vaccine card itself for completion, was still required. This is to make sure their patients don't have to run the limited sign-up scramble gauntlet a second time and possibly push second shots out beyond 42 days.

This particular program has all the vaccines, but each location is locked to a single brand, and that brand is made very clear during signup.

7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For our state, I heard that most vaccination sites are using a single brand for ease of management, but none is openly reporting what brand they are using. Moreover, each vaccination site has a different registration system making it a bit confusing for non-internet-savvy people to understand how the system works. On top of it, state-run vaccination sites and pharmacy-run vaccination sites have separate vaccine distribution and different eligibility requirements making it further confusing for people to sign up. Still, we are doing much better than the national average in terms of the percentage of the population fully vaccinated.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/covid-19-vaccines-delivered-and-administered/?currentTimeframe=0&selectedDistributions=share-of-population-vaccinated&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Share%20of%20Population%20Vaccinated%22,%22sort%22:%22desc%22%7D
    upload_2021-3-28_16-1-55.png

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fortunately, the mgh system is doing their own shots. they contact you, and everything is preplanned.

9. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Heard on NPR "discussion cast" with docs yesterday that after the first doses of Pfizer or Moderna, people are 80 percent protected (after two weeks).

Then, with the next dose it goes to 90 percent.

Shoo, seems like a no-brainer to do without the second dose -- 80 percent is pretty darn good.

Of course, I had my first dose last week. Will go in for second in three weeks.

10. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That's interesting logic. 80% is good. But what happens if you are the lucky 20% that gets covid. And end up with heart, lung or brain damage. Or a long, lingering death. That's a lot to risk in order to avoid a FREE shot.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those numbers sound like only the effectiveness against getting any degree of the disease.

But what about the real-world effectiveness against hospitalization and death? In the trials, full dosing of three products (both of these and J&J) were 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death, at least to their finite sample sizes. 100% is vastly better than 80%.

#71 fuzzy1, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    80 vs. 90% protection (1 vs. 2 doses) come from narrow studies. They do not inform (much) about any new candidate. This disease is new to humans and your (one's) immune responses to challenges offered are not known.

As I tick some risk-group boxes I avidly seek any qualified vaccine I can get. Were a different vaccine modality available I'd take it also. I've spent >a year preserving immunological naivete here, and want that (low-risk) changed.

I am different from y'all. COVID never caught on in Yunnan, even though it seems to have jumped to humans HERE by ABSURD pangolin (etc.) 'farms' that were stopped 13 months ago. Obviously not soon enough!

Now I need to travel around China for unrelated research. Very important to train my immune system and make my cell phone show happy green travel permissions. I'll probably get swabbed wherever anyway. International travel would require fortnight hotel quarantines at both ends. My problems, not yours.

But your problems stated here seem like 'what is the least vaccination I can get away with?'. I see this matter oppositely.

Merkey and dbstoo like this.
  13. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My post about the 80 percent vs 90 percent protection was sort of "thinking out loud."

There has been concern about not enough vaccine. Might it be better to get a single dose in everyone quickly vs. this six-month roll-out of the two-shot protocol? I don't know? Seems as if it might be.

But, it also seems the vaccines are ahead of schedule, also, so...

Don't know.

But, of course I'll get the second injection -- 90 is better than 80!

14. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tochatihu, where do you think this virus originated?

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [updated possibly confusing wording in my previous reply]

... and ~100% protection against hospitalization and death is much better still. Compared to those outcomes, a 10% chance of minor or asymptomatic illness seems almost negligible.
    Nobody really knows. The vaccines were not tested in that mode. It might work, or it might not. In case of the later, then we've have partially wasted much of the two-dose products (or one of them, they wouldn't necessarily have the same result), and have to re-start with producing much more vaccine.
    It would seem highly unlikely that he has any more information on this than we have. Prez. Eleven doesn't want his common ordinary residents knowing anything sensitive that we over here don't also know.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It is endemic in bats, probably particularly in some Yunnan species. Bats have anti-viral superpowers, so inconveniently, they do not die.

I know nothing about the 'boutique animal farms' of pangolin etc. beyond that Chinese government shut them down in 2020 Feb. I've never seen such farms. I work with bat/cave people here but NEVER join their field trips. They be crazy.

WHO investigators came to China and may not have been allowed access to every place they wanted. I am not in that loop. Based on what they could learn, they concluded that bat-> weird animal farm-> (somehow) Wuhan 'whatever' market may have sourced most infections. That other pathways may have existed.

COVID most likely jumped to humans in China. No one really doubts that. Whether China by faster stronger responses could have spared the world is a matter of lively debate. Without doubt this is the first MAJOR zoonotic disease to have jumped since modern genetics has become a counterattack force. It is a shit show, and finally may do most harm outside USA.

==
    At best, COVID has informed humans that many viruses are a step or two away from us. That if this bell gets ringed again, responses should be rapid, strong and apolitical. That we should effing self-protect and group-protect. Apolitical. That if another bad boy takes hold, genomics should be on it fast (readers should have no doubt that Genomics Inc. are pre-positioning)

==
    So many people (lung surface area). So much human incursion into places where other viruses just persist as 'hobbies'. There is a profound need to make this one the worst modern one. It might go otherwise.

bwilson4web, fuzzy1, Merkey and 2 others like this.
  17. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ I was wondering if somebody behind the bamboo curtain would dare to mention the Wuhan_Institute_of_Virology.... NOT that I'm judging mind you.

It's easier for me to be "digitally brave" since the US does not (yet) have a Social Credit System.

I get my second dose tomorrow, and I've already received the robo-call from my provider confirming the appointment.
    The longest part of the last shot was waiting 15 minutes (unmonitored) after the injection.

I didn't have to push grandma out of line or cross borders.... :)
    I'll report back if I'm 1:1,000,000 that have some significant issues.

If you guys don't hear from me it will be MUCH MORE LIKELY statistically that got hit by a bus or the MSS hacked my PC account. ;)

#77 ETC(SS), Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Raytheeagle, jerrymildred and Merkey like this.
  18. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got my second Pfizer shot on Feb 2. I'm hoping it works against the variants before effectiveness wears off.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    PREDICT which you may have heard of became

Spillover

Known viruses with estimated spillover risks are listed there. Including many other coronaviruses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.