1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overreaction to Paula Deen?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If chef Paula Deen had recently used the N-word or done something racist, all her sponsors pulling out would be a no-brainer. She is off the Food Network, sponsors including WalMart and Target have dropped her. My concern is how far back do you go? Another question is the societal norms of unacceptable is changing, so shouldn't that be factored in? For clarity, the N-word never should have been acceptable, yet it was commonly used into the 1950's at least, esp the South.

Deen is 66 and grew up in the South when it was unusual for a white person not to do or say something racist. I grew up in a racist family and ashamed of it. Got over it after high school.

Somewhat related: in the past I (a pet lover who has worked in rescues) said Michael Vick should have a 2nd chance after his dogfighting conviction...realize some will never forgive him, but he did serve his time and AFAIK is truly sorry about it, has a dog.

Think this is about someone with an axe to grind (plantiff against Deen is white) about something she said maybe 30 years ago. I am NOT slighting her use of the N-word, but should she spend the rest of her life under a bridge as a result? Also factor at least 90% of Southerners 60 or older have probably done the same thing.

Its good there is a backlash about the N-word and other things as well. I wish there was more of this against road ragers and DWIs

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Paula Deen has done more to harm people with her recipes than with her language.

That said, she is selling a product, herself. If the sponsors she is selling her image to feel that she is more of a liability than and asset, then it's just a business decision to dump her.

A couple of points.
    The white plaintiff has a black nephew and niece.
    The racist comments/actions she was accused of didn't stop 30 years ago.

SPEEDEAMON and PriusGuy32 like this.
  3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    She lost a restaurant sponsorship also I believe MGM

Paula Deen failed the Character Test. You just don't do that ever. It is unacceptable. Her opportunity to right the wrong did not go well. She needs a PR program to fix this situation quickly if it is redeemable.

image.jpg

4. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ part of the reason for this thread is to gather facts.

If she is continuing to behave racist in a more subtle way, she has not changed and it's definitely a problem.

Heard the ratings on her show were dropping, so maybe this was a convenient way of dropping her.

Her cooking might get an endorsement from the actor that played Tony Soprano as food to die for. {obvious sarcasm} :eek:

She is at least a week too late.

JMD likes this.
  5. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On the news she said well at least QVC did not drop. That bomb will drop soon.

Her book is selling well in the Deep South.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First, using the N-word this day and time is just plain stupid. The thing that bothers me is that the judge asked Deen if she had ever used the N-word. She told the truth and said yes. Like Chuck said, there are very few people raised in the South that are Deen's age that cannot truthfully say that they have never used the N-word.

Now if Deen has continued to use this word around her staff and offends her staff with such language then she got what she deserved. Does anyone know for a fact that she has used such language in the recent past?

Chuck., Trebuchet and minkus like this.
  7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think her only redemption is to adopt a child of Color and raise that child with all the love she would her own. Than perhaps her conscious will let her sleep.

There is no excuse for what she did in every era of time.

image.jpg image.jpg

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Agreed, it's hard to un-ring a bell, even harder if you wait to long.

Her initial poorly done, amateurishly edited apology on Youtube and one good aspect. She actually apologized for what she did instead of the old mealy mouthed "If I have offended anyone" brush-off that so many have used in the past. She owned her offensive behavior and apologized for it.

She really needed some professional PR help.

She should have been dumped a couple of years ago when it was discovered that she was still pushing her lethal cooking while she knew she had type 2 diabetes.

9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think the throwing the stone statement was not an apology. It just dug a hole to the center if the earth with the devil and no ladder out.

xs650 likes this.
  10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Agreed, she started off with a sincere sounding but poorly done apology a few days ago, then went downhill from there.

Skip to 2:16 if this clip doesn't start there.
    Paula Deen on the Today Show - YouTube

11. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think she is her own worst enemy.

Maybe one day Paula will see the light.

image.jpg

Chuck. likes this.
  12. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Character is destiny.

JMD likes this.
  13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have thankfully been out of the loop in regards to this story.

I had little interest or knowledge of Paula Deen before this scandal, I have little or no interest now.

However, I feel safe in saying that the media can quickly create an empire, and it can quickly tear one down. Sounds like Paula Deen built her empire based on a media projected image. Also sounds like it is crumbling due to what at the very, very least was a mistake in the handling of her image, and at the worst may be a fundamental personal flaw.

If my first contention is closer to the truth? Then it's too bad. I hope she invested her money well and diversely.

If my second contention is closer to the truth? Then she's getting what she deserves.

In either case, the media is usually not forgiving in incidences like this. She is not the first media personality to have a career destroyed by a comment that was deemed socially and/or politically incorrect.

Without personally knowing Paula Deen? I have no idea if the reaction is an overreaction or not.

It's possible it's an under reaction.

Hey Paula!

Sounds like somebody needs a visit from the Rav4 Genie!

JMD and xs650 like this.
  14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry Paula some wishes are just to difficult. - The RAV 4 Genie

image.jpg

15. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You people who did not grow up in the 40's & 50's & 60's need to shut up. No one are the same as they were 20, 30 40 years ago. Most people grow and get wiser as they grow older. I heard the N word growing up, but we only hear it now from the race who fought so hard to stop that evil word.
    You should never be judged by your stupid actions when you were a youngster.
    In todays time with the young people recording there smart and stupid acts on the internet, they may be shocked in the future.

SCH-I535 ? 2

16. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you serious? Does she put a gun to your head and make you eat her food?

"In youth we learn; in age we understand." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

If everyone was judged based on the actions of their youth we would all have scandals.

17. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My opinion is this would be over and her empire in check if she would have taken responsibility for her racist comment. Youth or time is no excuse. Say publicly it is wrong. Ask for forgiveness. Say she is 100% wrong to say that. Be genuine and sincere in her sadness. Take steps to reach out and embrace the non white community. Talk about her atonement. This would have already passed and her endorsements would be in place. She needed a public reactions expert with training in this area.

She just handled it poorly. Her rock throwing speech is saying hey I said it but show me somebody who didn't is highly offensive and insulting to people of color. You cannot say that. It just ain't right.

If she has any long time friends of color and they spoke up about her charity and benevolence it may save her. If not she needs to create it.

I see an Oprah interview, a guest interview with Whoppie on the View and a morning show slot with Matt Lauer that will give her the audience to atone for her sins.

The ball is completely in Paula's court.

18. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  19. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Book sales ok, but she lost her TV show which creates popularity. She lost Walart, Target , Pharma company and Restaurant chain I believe Caesars Palace, a chicken deal etc.

She is Toxic now.

See if she can recover

20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    She grew up in a time and geography when and where it was socially acceptable. She gets a free pass. It's not like she is doing anything worse than the majority of people today. She's never said it on her show (I don't watch it though), but the media needs to butt out of people's lives like that. She made a mistake, said something she didn't mean or at the very least said something at the wrong time.

This reminds me of the Rick Perry "scandal" and N-word-head Ranch. I am very left leaning in the states but found the attack on Perry equally stupid. Years ago in a geographic area where it was ok in a time when it was ok... You don't just rename things for the sake of it.

People need to start distinguishing the details.

Trollbait and massparanoia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.