1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overreaction to Paula Deen?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Racist remarks were never socially acceptable. They are offensive and there is no place for them. Anything less than that is unacceptable. She is a public person and as such what ever she says or does is open to scrutiny

She destroyed herself in the Matt Lauer interview. Matt asked her point blank are blank offended by the N word and she said I don't know. Are you flipping crazy Paula. Every media expert said she just did not manage that well.

She needs to recreate herself.

Here is The interview transcript.

Paula Deen faces Matt Lauer on 'Today'

image.jpg

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They were extremely acceptable in the southern US even up to 2 generations ago. That is very recent history, these people are still alive.

In today's world yes.

You can't apply modern morals or rules to the past. Today, there is no excuse. But she didn't say it today. She said it in the past.
    I haven't followed the story, so I don't know what her interview was like. The modern form of the N-word still has deep racial tones, but its common overusage in music, videos, comedy routines, and everyday language is eroding its venomous usage. For better or worse, who knows. But it is evolving. Again, into what, I don't think anybody knows. So by using it, does it automatically brand you a racist? I don't think that is true today. If you use it racially, sure. But there appear to be too many other superfluous usages to make it an automatic branding of racism.

Language is always an interesting and evolving subject.

3. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toaster you think a colored person brought up in the south 2 generations ago find no offense with that than I'm truly sad by your view of what is right and wrong. I can tell you that no colored person and many white though out history find racist remarks culturally acceptable ever.

Paula messed up a few days ago. Read this response

image.jpg

She does not know. Matt through it up there and if she just owned it. If he said it is wrong. I take full responsibility for what I said. I apologize for that. It is unacceptable. I promise it will never happen again this would be over. She f@&$ed up. That is why her endorsements left like a stampede

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can't follow logic can you... This is a pattern with your posts.

Not what I said or think. Of course a "coloured person brought up in the south 2 generations ago" would be offended. That was the entire point. The language was used purposefully to degrade an entire race. The language existed because it was normal at the time and socially acceptable to the whites of the area and time. Last I checked, Paula Dean is pretty white.

And before you reply with something incoherent, read what is written and not what you think is written.

massparanoia likes this.
  5. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toaster there is no acceptance of prejudice. That is the only logic you need to understand.

I suggest you read the transcript and watch the youtube. Paula is deemed by the experts to mess this interview up. She lost major endorsements and her TV contract. She hired a PR expert to fix this. Not following why you think Paula is in the right.

I think she is an embarrassment to white southerners most who are decent people and she is feeling the pain of her ugly prejudice.

Is her situation redeemable? Time will tell. Right now she as nothing but regret

YouTube

6. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Alicia Keys use racist slur against a reporter

Singer Keys Insists Her Racist Remarks Were Really Your Fault | The Gateway Pundit

Good Samaritans 'Blindsided' by Ladies on 'The View' - Meredith Jessup

KUHNER: Jamie Foxx and the rise of black bigotry - Washington Times

When all celebrities, and everyone else for that matter, are held accountable for their racist remarks today I will go ahead and jump on the "demonize Paula Deen" train for what she said 30 years ago. If you are going to bring down one, bring down them all.

7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the youtube videos this is another sad part when Matt brings up this quote from the deposition and gives her the opportunity to redeem herself and she can't do it.

image.jpg

8. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mass 2 wrongs don't make a right. You cannot say prejudice is right because some say it.

image.jpg

9. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Until everyone is held equally accountable for their actions then racism will continue to exist. The free pass that some people get condones the actions you demonize.

10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately Paula messed that opportunity up.
    I think accountability start with one and that is yourself.
    Paula missed that opportunity.
    Many people are offended by her.
    I could never approve racist comments for any reason.
    She lost her endorsements because no one wants to associate with that behavior.

This statement she read is a much better start to her rebirth

Paula Deen Apologizing For Saying N*GGER, and Plantation Costumes - YouTube

11. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Home Depot dropped Paula hours after the Matt Lauer interview

12. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What opportunity?

So now I'm a racist?
    What opportunity?

No.

Good. So you agree that modern racist celebrities should also be demonized to the degree that Paula Deen is.

No. Nobody wants to be dragged down by the horseshit mainstream media.

What "rebirth". She doesn't need to be reborn. She said she is sorry for what she said 30 years ago. Life goes on.

13. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mass go back and read my entire discourse on this thread and my message is loud and clear and there is no opportunity for confusion.

This thread is about Paula and not the other entertainers you brought to the discussion. However if they are racist they will also not have my support.

Paula's opportunity was to accept responsibility and apologize. She never did that on the Lauer interview.

If you somehow believe any racist statement by anyone is OK or justified than you do not have my support.

A few days ago and not 30 years ago she did not know if the N word is racist. She needs to be sorry for that unfortunate statement.

It seems I'm not alone if she lost her job and 4 major sponsors and a few small ones from the interview with Matt Lauer. She showed no remorse. She blamed others. She took no responsibility. When you wrap your mind around that you will be the better person for it. She can blame no one but herself.

One can see she is in repair mode of her reputation. Time will tell if she is successful

I'm done with this conversation. Best you do the same. :)

14. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Who cares if she shows remorse? Or if she "embraces the black community" or whatever you called it. I agree that two wrongs don't make a right; I am merely pointing out the double entendre that exists in society when it comes to "racism". Jaime Foxx can go on live TV and say the best part about a movie is the fact that he got to kill all the white people, but Paula Deen uses the "N word" and the sky falls. She shouldn't show any remorse or take any responsibility. She wouldn't be in the situation she is in if she apologized and moved on.

The mob only has hindsight that goes back about 90 minutes so I wouldn't worry about her reputation. Gays love Bill Clinton despite the fact that he passed DOMA, Anthony Weiner will probably be the next mayor of NYC and Tiger Woods is still #1 in golf. The world will still turn even when the mob moves on from Paul Deen.

Best I do the same? :rolleyes:

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  15. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Bingo.

She is, has not, and it definitely is.

17. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm gonna agree with those who have said she deserves it solely based on her celebrity status. That's how she makes her money, by selling her image. She was aware that as a celebrity, there are benefits, and there are risks. Just like any politician, actor, or professional athlete would get major backlash if they were to do something minutely stupid or offensive simply bc they are viewed under a magnifying glass.

Now do I think she deserves a second chance? Yes I do. But I can't speak for the rest of us. However I'm positive that this will eventually fade away, and Ms. Deen's career will eventually move on.

massparanoia likes this.
  18. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup. She's a white celebrity so she has to walk on eggshells. If she were a black celebrity she would be celebrated for her racism.

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there one person who has never said something they wish they had not? How different it would be if all of us had to answer to the Law, or worse yet, the ratings seeking "unbiased" Press, for every mistake or comment we made during the course of own entire life on earth. Look in the mirror people.

massparanoia and Chuck. like this.
  20. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.