1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overreaction to Paula Deen?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You forgot to mention the other side: use their millions to buy PR, lawyers, flacks, 'image consultants, and 'friends' as character references.

Celebs and politicians get away with serious, even violent crime as a matter of course. And trust me: the idiots that buy a pot because the label says 'Paula Deen' on it are not fazed by her racism.

In this case though, Paula Deen is just another old Southern racist. The uproar as usual is a proxy for whether that social group should be stigmatized.

JMD likes this.
  2. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hence I mentioned the benefits

3. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow. Jim Crow Stories . Democratic Party | PBS

4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sure there is a special place in hell for people who defend and support racism.

To say hey if they do it I can do it is flat out wrong, and it's this type of conversational racism that is passed down from generation to generation.

image.jpg

5. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I support all being called out and punished equally. Until then pass the butter.

6. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Racism is not equality. Again it continues and passes from father to daughter and son. Truly is sad when I read some comments.

The right message is racism is wrong regardless who is the messenger.

image.jpg

7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  8. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like Paula Deen for the entertainment value of her shows. I don't seriously look at what she's cooking up and certainly won't eat her recipes chock full of fat and sugar. I don't think she should be held to a higher standard for something she did in the past that wasn't as socially reprehensible then as it is today. Social norms will come and go and change through the years, and as long as we change along with it, for the most part we're all the better for it. It is funny though that today there seems to be a double standard in the use of the "n" word, at least if you go by an article I read about the current Trayvon Martin/Zimmerman trial. It basically stated that black's can use the "n" word as a term of endearment and it's not racist, while anytime whites use it, it's racist. While I think Paula Deen was wrong to have ever used the "n" word, I also think this whole thing is overblown. What is not helping her is her over dramatized public apologies. Maybe she should take a page out of Martha Stewart's playbook on how to rehabilitate her image and move forward.

massparanoia likes this.
  9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Jh that seems to be the Racist point of view. It is also the wrong message.

Paula's implosion is not the product of modern thinking and your point of view is not helping her retain her empire.

Paula had a opportunity to come clean as they say but she failed at that task.

She got was was deserved.

image.jpg

10. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Like any celebrity scandal, give it 3 months and she will be back.

11. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  12. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Paula Deen is alive and breathing. Her world is not coming to an end. Her wealth picture has changed!

She has damaged her brand and done little to improve her plight by talking and crying. The American system is working. Other brands do not want to be involved with her given what she has said in the past along with her current weak response. This is not a surprise.

xs650 and JMD like this.
  13. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mass those opinion pages you post are not reputable sources but just ultra conservative bias blogs. If your playing in that pool you have bigger problems.

image.jpg

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I thought this article was interesting. Have a Paula TV show and when she puts her foot in her mouth with a racist comment correct her and have her try again.

image.jpg

15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Possible but not probable. Every night on the news some more damaging video comes out. The nation has tolerance to forgive to a point but Paula's DNA is not tolerated in the Executive offices of our Media Companies. She has a crater to climb out of.

16. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I agree 100%

17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is not one person on this thread that has not made a derogatory comment, intentional or not, about some group that is different than themselves and their group...in there entire life...period.

Whether that difference is skin color, ethnic, cultural, religious, not religious, opposite sex, sexual preference, economic status, education, where they work, where they live, how they talk, how they walk, what they eat, drink, wear or drive...or just pick something else as I'm sure I left something out.

Now go look in the mirror again, with eyes wide open this time.

jhinsc, Trebuchet and ftl like this.
  18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If we taught that is our schools and to our Children we would live in the dark ages. There is no excuse for Racism. That thinking is taking this country backwards. PERIOD.

Paula and others can be biased and destructive at a time of weakness, but you need to atone for that behavior because it is not right. That lost Paula her media empire. She does not know if the N word is racist. That is what she said this past week with all the attention on her and media. How stupid is that? That was her opportunity to come clean, apologize and take steps to join MODERN thinking in America. That one mistake cost her MILLIONS of dollars because this country is a melting pot and no one is better than another.

image.jpg

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Actually she did come clean and owned up, have you? You are right, "There is no excuse for Racism", but Hate is Hate, no matter how you spell it. Now go find your Windex, I'm not wasting my time on this thread anymore.

20. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Racism is a subject you just can't window dress. You can't talk around it. You cannot say it's the South. You can't say it's a waste of time. Our country is evolving from a demographic and cultural point of view. Non whites will in our life times make up the majority. Intermarriage is normal. The country needs to be accepting and there is no place for bias or racism. Change is inevitable and we all need to get along.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.