1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overreaction to Paula Deen?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Good riddance. Buh-bye.

JMD likes this.
  2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As suggested in this thread, it is a good time for Paula to have a vacation.

I know about what she said 30 years ago, and her PR EPIC FAIL in apologizing, but what else has she done relevant to the topic? Has she said/done more subtle racist things?

Racism is more ingrained in the South, fortunately not as much as 50 years ago. My high school is a prime example - Robert E. Lee. Federal judge nearly changed it's name, but had all the Confederate symbolism removed:
    • from Rebels to Red Raiders
    • drill team from Rebelettes to Southern Belles
    • school song from Dixie
    • 30x30 rebel flag banned
    • cannoneers stayed, but no civil war uniforms (they fired the cannon after touchdowns, etc)
    At least 10 years after the name change, there were race riots the week we played the cross town rivals (we were 85% white - they were 60% black), people driving by their school waving rebel flags. Sad thing is parents helped keep this going on for years.

xs650 and JMD like this.
  3. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There was hardly a murmur in the media about this . . .

But that is to be expected considering their history.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Google giving you trouble ?

This was from 2011-2012.

PD has also taken to the air to explain why she does not view slavery negatively, because they were "family."

That woman and her racist culture is simply repulsive.

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ was just asking for help.

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well my perspective on this situation may seem racist in your small perfect world point of view, but I can assure you that you have utterly misinterpreted what I stated. I can agree with some of what you're saying in this forum, but to say I have a racist point of view is shocking and disturbing on your part, and you've missed the whole point. Your other snarky comments and replys aren't helpful either.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mind if I reply ?

I try not to over read short posts on an internet forum, and have no impression of you one way or another. HOWEVER, I do feel strongly that the intense public interest in PD is simply a proxy for people wondering about, or perhaps defending, themselves.

Just as PD wants to think of herself as a 'good' person, so did slave owners. An internal consistency demand thus required slave owners to rationalize their actions and their defense of slavery. PD in turn realizes that overt racism is not culturally acceptable on national TV, so she concludes that she is not racist and avoids saying ni**er in public while continuing to view blacks as inferior to whites, best suited to servile positions with whites in authority. She continues to enjoy and share jokes that ridicule Blacks and frame them into a racist POV. From a distance, I view her as a disgusting hyprocrite; but I can readily accept that she sees herself differently and cannot understand my revulsion.

Racism I think is best thought of operatively, in terms of respect and tolerance. When I was growing up in the 1970s, the litmus test kids applied to parents was a simple one: how did they feel about their kids dating, having sex, and marrying people of different skin color, religion, or ethnicity.

It seems rather obvious where PD stands. It behooves us all, and Southerners in particular standing up to defend PD, to look themselves honestly in the mirror and see where their attitudes *really* stand.

Sabby, JMD and xs650 like this.
  8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    PD response may be popular among some white southerners but it is wrong. Racism should never be tolerated. It degrades people. When you use words to show superiority over a race of people that is Racism.

She may just not know that when she says "I is what I is" the nation cringes with fear that we just went back in time 150 Years.

PD is a Southern White Racist. Her comments are not tolerated in modern America. She got what she deserved. She can decide to not change and peddle her goods to people who embrace her rhetoric. She can decide to upgrade her messaging and beliefs to fit in a modern Multi cultured society that believes in equality and tolerance.

I don't live in a bubble.

9. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    "Racist" is way over used and the main reason racism is still a problem today. Any slight, any criticism or a differing point of view and the opposing side has difficulty framing a logical intelligent counter point? The "race card" gets dragged out and flaunted as the under lying cause. It's knee jerk use reveals an intellectual vacuity in the accusers ability to enter into point, counter point arguments. A better example of this can not be found than the election of Barack Obama and any criticism directed his way.

Don't like Obamacare?
    Don't like stimulus?
    Question any policy.
    Challenge any statement.
    Any Point of View difference whatsoever and

You're a racist.

frodoz737, jhinsc and massparanoia like this.
  10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Trebect I don't think it was in this case. evidently 10 sponsors and her TV contract dropped her. PD dropped a bomb and now she is paying the price.

11. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Thanks JMD, I wasn't addressing her situation directly just the topic in general and the use of the race card. You use the "N" word you get what you deserve just like Robert Byrd, oh wait, he was lauded as a great American. Never mind . . . I'm not talking about you but those who claim they haven't said anything hurtful, demeaning or mean that they regret are bald-face liars.

12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

PD was not a victim of misplaced Racism. She messed up.
    She is the topic of the conversation. I don't know Byrd. Don't care to.

13. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I see it differently.

I really could not care less what PD was or said decades ago. I imagine most reasonable people have the same opinion. Her problem is that her famous interview opened up a Pandora's box into her *current* somewhat whitewashed racism that the general populace rejects.

In one of Barack Obama's books, he writes about his interview with Senator Byrd as a newly minted US senator. Byrd was gracious, welcoming, and had clearly dramatically changed from the racist he had been. Byrd was also crystal clear that he had been dead wrong in his past actions and it was his burden to bear and try to atone for.

Contrast and compare Byrd to the mound of quivering gelatin worried about her money that is PD.

jhinsc, xs650 and JMD like this.
  15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  16. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

I don't know how your making this distinction between PD and Byrd but she made almost the same apologies and regretful statements as Byrd and she, AFAIK, has not used the "N" word since. Unlike Senator Robert Byrd who used the term in 2001 during an interview and as recently as 2005 in his memoir, described the KKK as a fraternal assembly of, "upstanding people," gee wonder how Obama missed that one? I guess when you have the President of the United States, the MSM, and a complete rewrite of history concerning your parties shameful history of racism there's little need to "quiver" over losing ones livilyhood. Eh?

BTW: Byrd never quit the KKK.

17. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Still don't follow your point, if this thread is about PD why are you trying to bring forward a definition of racism? Nevertheless if the definition of racism is important to this discussion concerning PD why is it off limits to bring alternate cases of racism to refine or contrast or is it only your POV that matters?

massparanoia likes this.
  18. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Because its only "racist" if it comes out of the mouth of someone that you don't like. Plenty of racist/bigoted celebrities out there, but because they tow the line they are ignored and celebrated for their "boldness".

jhinsc likes this.
  19. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Alec Baldwin was recently caught tweeting Gay bashing epitaphs at a reporter. Wonder if he'll lose his endorsement from Capital One?

20. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope. He is a habitual offender, but gets a free pass because he tows the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.