1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Owners manual oil consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by changingtime, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. changingtime

changingtime New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has it ever been discussed…as to why Toyota put in the owners manual not to be concerned if oil consumption is less than 1.1qt for 600 miles?

What is the rational there? Hoping for a technical explanation.

mine was about a half quart (maybe less) down at ~1000 Miles of driving.

2010 recently purchased at 175000 from a friend - who knew about all quirks
    Original Head Gasket - Toyota dealer (master mechanic) put on compression test / held compression
    EGR and manifold cleaned recently (egr fan? Replaced)
    Once in a while minor rough start on engine
    Original batteries passed test

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have a 2011 Gen 3 with ~200k on it, and a 2017 Prime with ~90k on it. I change the oil every six months on both vehicles. Once beyond the first 5k miles, I have never seen any loss of oil.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Isn’t that a mind blower? I’ve proposed here a few times, that gem should be prominent in the sales brochures.

Specifically with Gen 3, model year 2010 till partway through 2014, Toyota used what’s commonly referred to as “low tension” piston rings, rings with less outward spring, presumably to reduce friction, gain a tenth or two of a mpg.

There are a couple of service bulletins (test and fix, attached), for excessive oil consumption. In the test the criteria for excessive (bad enough to warrant a free fix) is (slightly more reasonable) one US quart per 1100~1300 miles. There’s another criteria, basically Toyotas ace in the hole: has to be under 60k miles on the odometer.

“Recently purchased with 175k” and “minor rough start” does not bode good. Yes you’ve cleaned EGR, hopefully completely, but 175k is long overdue. It may have a stop-leak product masking symptoms.

Attached Files: