1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Owner's Manual Supplement

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iplug, Apr 30, 2014.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    In the mail today - a medical/safety supplemental page for the Owner's manual: IMG_2187.jpg IMG_2188.jpg safety supplemental stuff

2. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I had a pacemaker would I drive an electric car? Only if I wanted to live dangerously.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder how many owners we've lost because this info took two years to get here?:eek:

4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like the lawyers outvoted the engineers again. Pacemakers are specifically designed to be resistant to RF interference:

The manufacturers, though, can provide even greater protection. Medtronics, one of the principal producers of pacemakers, provided this RF immunity information in 2009 for its devices, and I would expect that other manufacturers have incorporated similar resilience into their own products:
    “Medtronic pacemakers/defibrillators are designed to operate normally in electric fields measuring 100 volts per meter” (V/m) and “to operate normally within RF levels that meet the government Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE) limits” for electric fields at “150 kHz and up,” including “sources such as: radio transmitter antennas, television transmitter antennas, cellular telephone antennas, RF welding equipment, dielectric heaters, radar.”​

5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Why? I would think that all those high voltage discharges going on inside a gasoline engine would be more of an issue than an electric motor.

6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep, another brilliant example of one of my pet peeves:
    Risk management which consists of merely risk avoidance, is not risk "management" at all.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...sorry Mom...we'll take your car next time.

8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I call them spark plugs. It's not the voltage that is the problem, nor the current, it's the RF energy which emanates, that is the cause of all the anxiety.

But it is a good point to consider. Many years ago, back in the 70s I guess, someone took a calculator on a plane, and it was the type that would drain 4 C batteries in about 12 minutes. The flight crew saw some anomalies in their equipment, and blamed it on the calculator. Most electronic devices have been banned on planes ever since, even though RF interference has long since been practically eliminated. Another case of "better safe than sorry" without applying any real thought to the actual risk at all.
    Rant|concluded.

9. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Airlines are now permitting handheld electronics without a radio (or in flightsafe mode) to be used even during takeoff and landing.