P-button, then Power off, vs just Power Off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by TheLandYacht, Dec 17, 2020.

1. TheLandYacht

TheLandYacht Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Something I've noted on this 2010 Prius is...if I stop the car & just hit the power off button (which theoretically puts it in park for you, then powers the car off from what someone said on the forums)...I get a "jerk" the next time the car (engine itself) starts, almost like the car was still in gear.

This does NOT happen if I put it in Park FIRST, then power off the car.

Thoughts?

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Are you parking on a slope? Is your transmission oil too thick?

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The only time I ever hit the Park button is if I want to sit in the car without turning it off. Turing off the car automatically puts it in Park.

If you stop the car, your foot will be on the brake when you turn it off. If you're on level ground, the car will just sit there when you lift your foot off the brake pedal. When you start up the ICE, it will apply a little torque to the drive train. That will try to turn the transaxle. If the Park pawl is engaged in its slot, nothing happens. If it's not, the car will roll till the pawl drops into a. slot.

If you stop and put the car in park, then lift your foot off the brake before turning off the car, the pawl will engage right then rather than later. Looks like this:
    135926_parking_pawl.jpg

(From post #2 here: Prime rolls when put in park even in small incline | PriusChat)

Georgina Rudkus and Ed Beaty like this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    People here told me that something was wrong with my car and take it to the dealership when I describe the slight jerk or tug on cold soak start up like yours.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Sunday driver DIY’r

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've mostly forgotten that P button even exists, virtually always shut down with right foot on brake, push down parking brake pedal with left foot, release both. Haven't noticed a kick on start up.

Do you know if the transaxle fluid was ever changed? What was used?

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    OK, there is a difference.

When you hit P, the car's electrical system powers an electric motor into a locked position.

When you turn off the car, the 12 volt battery powers an electric motor into a locked position. If it is dead enough, you get a P-lock Malfunction, which contains the bad advice that it might be a transmission issue.

If you are noticing a subtle difference, I would check the 12 volt battery, it may be weak.

davecook89t likes this.
  7. TheLandYacht

TheLandYacht Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can you ref those threads?