1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P&G or Hypermilers waste gas in traffic - true?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jhinsc, Dec 4, 2010.

1. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I commend drivers using the P&G method and all hypermilers for creating and using techiniques that increase mpg's by a significant amount. I however have to believe that if you are using these methods in any situation other than very light to no traffic, these techniques actually waste a lot of fuel. While it may not be your fuel that is being wasted, other drivers on the road who have to figure out what you're doing, brake and slow down, speed up to go around because you're not maintaining a constant speed while using the P&G method, or going so slow because you're hypermiling, they are using a lot more fuel than you are saving. That's on top of the extra pollution being created too. It's bad enough to be behind someone who is not paying attention by speeding up and slowing down because they have to answer a phone or do something else other than drive the car since they just happen to be sitting behind the steering wheel. Interestd in your thoughts, comments, and rationale on this.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps you might ask the same question over at CleanMPG.

I'm no fan of P&G driving but I do use "N" during warm-up or times when I'm approaching a likely stop. Otherwise, I have no commuting use for this technique compared to: (1) route planning, (2) attention to warm-up, and (3) vehicle maintenance.

During the annual hybridfest driving challenge, I've long felt the best approach would be to rent a track and have the contestants 'do laps.' This would equalize the route and allow extreme driving techniques while keeps the contestants away from non-contest traffic.

Bob Wilson

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In heavy stop and go traffic you can't help but pulse and glide in a prius. It just happens unless you like to ride people's nice person. Other than the situation described above, I don't know anyone who would use p&g in high traffic situations. I think you are making an issue where there is none. I live in a region with a very high density of hybrids and I've never witnessed the situation you described.

4. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Forcing the guy behind you to glide and coast into a red light is fun...:) saves gas too...:p

Giora.

2 people like this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Au contraire I would think. It's easier to P&G in heavier traffic because it's masked by the fact that you're stopping at every light. I would think light traffic is annoying (although one could always argue that light traffic means that there's space for them to overtake you).

For most of us, we're not that selfish. Personal gain by pissing everyone off around us isn't the point of P&G (that and we don't need to create any more bad press for hybrids). For me, I just modify my P&G technique to match the traffic. If I can't do the 20km/h speed difference (e.g. 60-40km/h) then so be it. I'm not going to hold up traffic by doing 45km/h in a 50 or 60km/h zone unless I can mask it because of heavier traffic (so everyone's doing those speeds anyway).

2 people like this.
  6. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1 to Tideland's reply.

Some days on my commute to work there's more traffic than others. I know the route so well I can easily modify my P&G so its less pronounced and I stay with the flow of traffic. I often get better mpg on those days since my overall speed is lower. I actually had fun one day following another Prius. He seemed to have the same P&G pattern as I did.

The theoretical driver the OP describes would aggravate me too. I've seen that type of bad behavior before, but it was a Buick not a Prius on the road and I don't think hypermiling came into the equation.

7. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure how using N during warm-up or approaching a stop helps save fuel? In reading the manual, when shifted to N, the traction battery is not being charged and if the ICE is warmed up, it should be off while approaching a stop. Am I missing something?:confused:

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He's referring to in-motion N. While the car is warming up in the winter, shifting to N sees a noticeable climb in the instant fuel economy meter to the right of the speedometer. My guess is that the engine is thus running at a lower rpm, using less fuel. When in D, the motor is connected and the engine runs at a higher rpm to warm up faster but also to charge the battery.

That's where he's coming from.

9. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very true in stop and go traffic as that would fit the natural pattern of driving. Unfortunately, I've observed most non-hybrid drivers go from gas pedal to brake pedal - they don't know how to coast appropriately, especially in big SUVs that suck gas - go figure. I haven't witnessed anyone purposely using P&G or hypermiling during normal traffic, but from what I read how some people describe how they drive to get high mpg's, that would drive me nuts being around them in traffic.

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    P&G, hypermiling, whatever you call it -- If you pay close attention to your MFD and how you're driving, your mileage will be significantly better.

My point is, in any traffic scenario, if you want mileage badly, you can get it.

11. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very true as I pay attention to it, maybe too much - should keep my eyes on the road more!:D I guess my point is that if someone is trying to extract higher mpg's to the detriment of the rest of the drivers out there, it's possibly detrimental to the environment with increased pollution and higher fuel usage of other drivers trying to work around them.

12. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I'll need to try it sometime. In my commute, I have a 2 mile drive at 35-45 mph to a stop sign at the main road which is my first opportunity to slow down after exiting the community where I live. At this point when slowing down, my instant mpg meter always shoots to 100 so I'm wondering how shifting it to N will help all that much?

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry, it is more specific to the 2001-03, 1.5L Prius that does not have the advanced warm-up logic of the 2010-current, 1.8L Prius. Our 1.8L Prius works best if we just drive it but there are occasions when approaching a light or stop sign where coasting in "N" is more efficient.

Bob Wilson

14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see what you mean. But you can't do anything about the things you can't control. So if you drive the best you can, I'd say that's good enough.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well said.

I don't know what the climate is in SC but for us in the winter (say anything below freezing), as I'm coasting, I'll be sitting at 40-45mpg in D while in N, it'll be down to 55-60mpg. (so regular warm-up idling).

2 people like this.
  16. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I waste gas by driving slightly faster than the posted limit on most surface streets. It isn't so much the fuel that I could be saving by driving more slowly, but it is the huge amount of fuel wasted by the neanderthals who must pass me in their lifted 4 door single passenger pickup trucks, apparently because they cannot bear to have a Prius beat them to the next red light. :madgrin:

17. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I got my Prius two weeks ago, the weather here was mild, in the 70's day and 40's-50's at night. The past couple days it's down to low 30's night and 50's day with even colder weather coming this week. I've seen a drop in mpg's by 2-3 mpg's due to weather change. I'll have to monitor how long it takes for ICE warm-up and try shifting into N to see if I can alter my mpg's - thanks!

18. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi jhinsc,

I wont address your suggestion that other drivers cannot learn.

There is a professional report that show pulse and glide saves gas (Argonne National Lab and Virginia Tech). This report indicates an even a greater savings in a Otto engine car than in an Atkison (as the Prius is) engine car. And of course, this is how Wayne Gerdes gets 50 mpg out of a stock Honda Accord.

So if traditional cars behind a P and G Prius are pulsing and gliding, they save lots of gas, and if these same cars then come throught the light while its green, they save even more.

19. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think I ever suggested that other driver cannot learn. I totally agree that a driver doing P&G saves gas. What my point is that other drivers around you, unless they know you're doing P&G and do it along with you, they're using more gas by braking to slow down behind you, then speeding up to go around you, which I think is what the majority of drivers do because they're not expecting it. Any type of hypermiling or P&Ging that causes traffic to back up behind up is a hugh waster of fuel as other drivers try to work their way around. I try to hypermile and P&G (I was doing it before I knew it as P&G) to the best that I can given my driving environment. What I take issue with is when someone does it with the "screw everyone else" attitude.

20. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Jhinsc,

Do a check of your average trip speed, and peak speed during the trip. If your timing lights, these two get closer together, and that saves gas.

How does it screw everybody else up when you come into a light just after it goes green, and the cars stopped there just have enough time to get going before you reach them? That is what you should be aiming to do.

What is screwing everybody up is red light racing, where peopel have to do the speed limit, or greater, to get to a light that day after day they know they are going to get caught at, and slow down the traffic that comes along when it turns green.

I had an interesting thing happen to me. I go slow down this long hill. I had an impatient lady in a Cadillac behind me. But, when we got to the wider section of the road, around me she goes, and blocks the right turn lane. I horn her, and she moves enough to get out of the way, so I can proceed. Her face was beat read with shame at that point. My timing was perfect so that I could make the right turn just as the left turn arrows come on. And I can get ahead of the oncomming left turners, after a stop at the light. She knew she was doing the very thing that she thought I was doing. And you think hypermilers do.

A stopped car in front of you, is worse for orderly progression along the road than anything else. The goal with hypermiling is to never stop - Wayne calls this DWB (Driving Without Brakes). Even if that means going slowly to time into a light. Its one of the wierd things about my pulse and glide route. I actually get the best mileage from it, when the average speed is the fastest, which means I timed many of the lights.

Another approach to this is what I like to call driving in the anti-traffic. With everybody having much greater peak speeds than average speeds, there are vast amounts of sparsely populated asphalt. The trick is to time into the cycle when these roads are empty. That right turn is such a situation. As there are few oncomming left turners, I can Pulse and Glide to the next light on an empty road 3/4s of a mile long. Then just as I get to a light going from red to green, the cars from the next green back at where I made the right turn reach me. And off we go accelerating again in the PandG. Of course we are have to wait for the left turning rabbits go speed up and get out of the way.