1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P&G or steady state driving?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by VABeachPrius, Aug 14, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  2. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Second Answer... sorry. On to SHM, this is a special case of the heretical "balance" that you may be able to trigger in your Gen I. If you have a scan tool and are monitoring "Throttle" in one of theses ODBII pids might be useful. These throttle readings are Engine throttle, not to be confused with "input throttle" (<== made up term). The Prius ECU takes your throttle request and splits it into MG throttle and ICE throttle.

Anyway... watching Engine Throttle, and Injection Timing and RPM should give you some feedback on "input throttle". So SHM is when your rpm is near idle (about 1100-1200 in Gen II). Once at this low RPM hold the pedal steady enough for Engine Throttle and Injection Timing to hold their values UNCHANGED for 7 seconds. After 7 seconds, your Engine Throttle will decrement by one and your MPG will jump.

For Gen II it looks like this:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    0 __ _Before_ _After
    1 RPM 1100-1200 1100-1200
    2 IGN 14 14
    3 TPS 18 17

SHM will bleed speed over a few miles, so you will eventually need to "pulse" back up if needed. There is volumes written on SHM, but I can't find the PC links to it. So SHM is ONE of many "heretical balance" states. They exist throughout the throttle range, but they are VERY hard to hit without instrumentation of some kind, and a VERY disciplined right foot.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I pulse ... ergo I glide ;) thus, one necessarily slows down between pulsing. I'll be ready to post a new EPA buster in the "I beat the EPA" thread, when I finish off the present tank. As the pic from earlier today shows, I've got 6 pips to go. It's not my 1st 70+mpg tank bar far, but it may be my 1st 800 miles per tank. Woo hoo!

[​IMG]