1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P&G still eludes me.....

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by BrennanShilohRescue, Jan 30, 2009.

1. gdbelden

gdbelden Gator Hator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JimboK..
    I think you took what I said incorrectly. I was not implying that P&G'ing was driving irresponsively at all. If you can improve your gas mileage..... more power to you.

When I used the work "responsively" I just meant not driving irresponsively (like speeding, going to slow and causing others to be impatient and do stupid things, yakking or texting on cell phones etc. Another meaning I wanted to convey with this word was just driving reasonably economically (not flooring it or slamming on brakes at stop lights or signs)

Yes, gas will go up again (who really knows how much) but it will. No arguement here...

What I do (potentially) disagree with you is that hypermilers drive more repsonsively than most. (some...maybe) but than most?

Driving slower than "normal" traffic speeds can lead to dangerous behavior by others who are forced to pass. If you are alone on road or not impeding others, hypermile away!

Peace....

2. Jedi2099

Jedi2099 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Im glad i found this thread. This week marks 6 months ive had my Prius and i have a similar question and situation to the ops.

I also live in FL - South FL in this case. My Commute is short - about 9 miles each way - but the entire way its exatly like the op posted above - 3-4 wide lanes, 40+ Red lights in those 9 miles and "Normal traffic" flow does have everyone pushing 45+ MPH between those lights. Traffic bounces between moderate to Bumper to Bumper. Its a Major roadway.

Id say my Avg per tank over these last 6 months is around 43 MPG. I really do try to P&G - But under the above conditions - Its hard. Its SFL and its hot - So i got the air going almost always combined with the short distance - i think i should be happy with 40'ish. I know i can do better on longer drives on different routes. Ive gotten 50-55 mpg trips on longer highway segments that are not my normal commute.

One thing i like to do but from what ive read is probebly not helping my get those high MPG is starting a glide but then giving it a little more and using elec to maintain speed at like 35-39. Only do it at high SOC. Id love to be able to do really long glides - but the risk of getting rear ended on SFL roads slowing down too much.. is...well.. near 100%... :(

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're running the AC this time of year? :confused:

Your route indeed sounds like it might create a challenge to consistently P&G. You presumably have a lot of stop (or slow) and go with all those traffic lights. Though you may not be able to safely and courteously sustain P&G throughout, you can apply its techniques during the necessary stopping (or slowing) and going anyway: Time your slowdowns to allow gliding as long as possible and accelerate as efficiently as possible as you go. Again, there is a balance between fuel economy and courtesy. I understand following traffic likely won't tolerate a half-mile-long glide to a red light. On the other hand, I don't consider it necessary to capitulate to an impatient tailgater by keeping it at full speed approaching a red light and then braking at the last minute.

Are there alternative routes you can use that allow lower speeds?

4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just keep practicing and you will improve. My city street 38 mile round trip route has a total of 130 stop lights and stop signs. Last summer I was in the mid 70's MPG from May to October. Just keep the tires pumped up and practice.

Wayne

5. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hear some people say that its good to accelerate quickly during the pulse, and I also hear people say to accelerate with the arrows going into the battery and wheels from the ICE (Not sure what this mode is but it generally has high mpg but slow acceleration). Which one is the optimal acceleration, punching it rather quickly, or slowly accelerating? Does the same answer apply for going uphill too?

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My consumption is 4.0 to 4.4L/100km around town. I give it heaps, sometimes full throttle and sometimes 3/4 throttle, and only if I'm behind another car do I accelerate slower. If you're really serious then listen to those here who get really good mileage.

(that is 53.5 to 58MPG, god I'm good to you!)