P Lock C2310 Fix Fixed Solved Solution

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by strawbrad, Nov 18, 2019.

1. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They are dozens of threads on the dreaded P Lock problem. Few of them lead to a solution. This thread title is intended to stand out and lead others to a simple repair.. It seems there is more than one possible cause. My 2008 Prius had an intermittent P Lock problem. This You Tube video shows the source of the problem with my car.

Here's a shot of the freeze frame data from the C2310 code. The eighth line of the left column labeled "Battery Voltage Value" showed .62 volts. That voltage is what the Transmission Control Computer is reading at pin 13. The computer needs a constant 12 volt supply to retain the memory of the P Lock mechanism position. P Lock 1.jpg

The You Tube video shows the fault can lye between the 7.5 amp "P Con" fuse and this plug next to the positive jump point in the engine bay fuse box. It's the blue wire that leads from the P Con fuse to pin 13 on the Transmission Control Computer. On my car the pin for the blue wire had corroded to the point of breaking.

P Lock 2.jpg

I installed a jumper wire from the P Con fuse to the blue wire which restored a good 12 volt supply to the Transmission Control Computer.

P Lock 3.jpg

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another thing I like about this post is that it's a concrete counterexample to the idea that a code reporting a low voltage somewhere is necessarily a reflection on the 12 volt battery.

SFO, dolj and strawbrad like this.
  3. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2004 Prius with 244,000km (150,000 miles) started to show the red triangle with the parking message. I did connect my Techstream and saw the battery voltage at 0.5 V...I then looked at the white plug in the fuse box but all pins were like new. Using a voltmeter on pin 13 (blue wire) I was reading 0.52 V. Following your advice, I've installed a small wire from the 7.5A P Con Fuse and now everything is back to normal !! Thank You very much OP

strawbrad likes this.