"P LOCK MALFUNCTION: WHEN PARKING, PARK IN FLAT PLACE..."

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Blue Ridge Driver, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Blue Ridge Driver

Blue Ridge Driver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2010 Prius won't start, and shows the "P Lock Malfunction" message whenever I try. Actually the problem now is it won't turn fully OFF, or fully start, so it's stuck in limbo. It seems to be a problem with the Parking button not engaging, or not telling the Power control that it is engaged, like a circuit is short or the wire has malfunctioned. I don't see any problems under the hood, but I am no expert.

In researching chat groups & such, I have yet to see where anyone has come to a decisive conclusion. Lots of advice to check or replace the 12v battery, but it seems when a number of others have tried this, the problem still remains.

Thanks.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So.....out of curiosity, did you check your 12v? I saw a video posted on the site recently that showed Luscious Garage explaining the same thing. Seems to make sense to me. Faulty/weak 12v = inadequate power for starting up and keeping the electronics functioning correctly.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this one can be difficult. maybe a door not fully closed, all the way to a high voltage leak. did tech stream produce any codes?

4. Blue Ridge Driver

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't get a chance to find out how (all the instructions online that I saw seemed to be for different models than mine?), and now I think the battery has indeed worn down, due to it not being able to power down completely, and my repeated attempts trying. Sigh.

5. Blue Ridge Driver

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haven't been able to figure out how to do a tech stream.... Sounds from others like it could be a bad combo meter? Replacing it apparently involves a Toyota dealer matching the new one with the car's exact mileage; I got a quote of ~$1300 for getting that done.

Whether it's battery or high voltage leak (?) or combo meter or something else, it looks like I need to have the dang thing towed to a Toyota dealer. :(

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    testing the 12v battery is easy, or just replace it if original. but if you can't do that, a dealer would be your best bet.
    how many miles on her?

7. Blue Ridge Driver

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    96K miles on her (though I think it's a him). I've seen enough reports of others that got this message saying the battery wasn't the problem after checking that, that I feel the need to go with a full diagnostic, despite being frustrated over 1. not being able to handle it myself, and 2. the likely high cost.

I was never good enough with auto mechanics to take on simple things like VW maintenance or even oil changes, so I shouldn't be surprised I can't just fix this one myself; but I was hoping maybe I could.

bisco likes this.
  8. Kevin York

Kevin York New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Were you able to find out the issue? My car is doing the exact same thing.

9. Dave79

Dave79 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We had one similar issue in 2011. It ended up being wire pinched and grounded right off the fuse box and also fuse was blown. I would check good under the hood and fuse box area.

10. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SOLUTION for a car that doesn't have any other problem:

If your battery drains (maybe you forgot a light on) this problem might appear. Disconnect the battery entirely (I mean either the + or -, I read from a Toyota mechanic that you need to disconnect in order to reset/wipe some codes/warnings in the computer). Reconnect, boost the car and it should start unless there's another problem (like mentioned above, cables shorting and whatnot).

Andrei

11. bk11341

bk11341 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2010 Lexus HS250h with 200k miles on it. Today I experienced the same issue on a vehicle that has NEVER had any problems. I assumed the problem was a weak battery so I tried to jump it with my other car...after about a half hour of charging it, no luck. Then I hooked it up to a Diehard battery charger which connects to a power outlet in my garage. In less than a minute, it solved the problem completely. The car immediately turned over and all systems were functioning normally. I know NOTHING about cars, but I think it may be possible that the steady 120v current from the Diehard could have reset something in one of the computers. I’m not sure if this qualifies as a solution, but I thought I should share it with anyone who might be interested.