1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P. Prime Advanced has Cellular Connection, Right?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by mr88cet, Jan 15, 2017.

1. VTBIGDOG

VTBIGDOG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So how does my 17 Prime Premium know there are traffic delays ahead, and then ask me if I want to reroute?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don’t know if there is a SIM card, but if there is, it’s not mentioned in the Repair Manual (more info), parts catalog, or any other Toyota documents that I’ve seen. This probably doesn’t matter, however, for two reasons:
    1. As I posted in November 2017, the Data Communication Module (DCM) has a cellular modem that operates on LTE bands 2, 4, 5, and 13, none of which appears to be used in Europe. Indeed, it could be a technical violation of your country’s regulations to allow the DCM to transmit at all in those bands.

2. Even if it somehow could connect to a cellular network, the DCM has been programmed for machine-to-machine communication with Toyota’s services in the U.S., which may not be accessible elsewhere, and may be of limited value to you. The Safety Connect call center in the U.S., for example, is unlikely to be able to dispatch roadside assistance or emergency services in Europe.
    The traffic information, in the U.S., is delivered in HD Radio (terrestrial FM) data broadcasts, according to the Navigation System Owner’s Manual (PDF), pages 148 and 218. An article on NAB’s website mentions that Toyota has made an arrangement with iHeartMedia’s Total Traffic & Weather Network.