1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0016 Error Code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by krissl, Aug 20, 2012.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am not sure what to predict as the manner in which the end of the grace period will come to your attention.

In the bicycle world, one of the things that happens with long riding on a stretched chain is it reshapes the teeth of the cogs and chainrings, and then when you do get a new chain, you have to replace the chainrings and cassette also, or the chain won't fit them and will skip. Ignoring the stretching chain long enough may lead to it skipping anyway, or breaking. I don't have much information on what's the usual final failure mode for a timing chain.

Maybe wibeham lives in a place without regular inspections? I would think the "just erase code and press my luck for eight years" would be less practical in a place where you have to pass inspection.

2. John Gjata

John Gjata Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi MCiprian, can you help with finding/replacing the camshaft position sensor? I, too, have a 2007 with about 190k miles and p0016 code...

3. jlivingstonsg

jlivingstonsg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have anyone here replaced the camshaft position sensor?
    I have a Toyota Prius gen 2 , year: 2005
    What is the easiest way to replace it?

Regards Magnus

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This makes perfect sense this just started in my '09 work vehicle I mean this is the first time I've ever seen this code in this car has had many as it was expected when I bought it That's a great car even still I'm sure I won't get to putting a timing chain in it maybe another whole engine I have several here or change the timing chain on one of the engines that's out of the car and get it all prepped and ready to go and just drop it in this one probably the sensible thing to do.